Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> UHD 630 no 4K options

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Feartech

Yeah, I just don't know how to add another system on my profile. Should I just override my laptop? But then that's an issue whenever I post anything about that...

Yep, DVMT is set to 128MB already, which is probably why I could remove stolenmem. Just not that simple on my laptop, since it has that option hidden, and is only flash-/patchable using an external programmer. I have that around, but there is not much documentation for my model. So maybe I need to increase DVMT using that flag on there. I've read about many systems that have no access to DVMT, but still managed to patch it "afterwards".
you can use your signature for your desktop machine

some laptops have the option to increase DVMT (mine does :) )

sometimes a bios mod is required

First of all, 0x3E920009 (which you've sent me) seems to be a mobile framebuffer.
I thought you were patching a laptop
Next, the LSPCon (Level Shifter/Protocol Converter) has - AFAIK - the purpose to convert internal DP-Signals to HDMI 2.0, probably in combination with enable-hdmi20. The i7 8700K can only deliver 30Hz on 4K using HDMI, since it seems to be HDMI 1.4, so those can be removed.
To be honest I didn't pay much attention to your connectors and just sent you a quick test to see if 4k worked. I didn't think you actually had an HDMI out, so I just gave you a generic DVI, and hence the LSPCon
The boot flags also only made things worse.
Yup, now that I know it's not a mobile UHD630, so yes the apple firmware will not work. (or the lcd backlight fix!)
Only thing your config did, was change con0 and con1 alldata to change busid and pipe, as well as type, which rendered my HDMI dead. But with your framebuffer, your con-flags, and my busid, pipe and type, your config worked great too.
Awesome, that was the general idea, to get it in the ballpark and then to tweak as needed.

Last edited:
I have never seen the graphic-options flag
You made me curious about this flag, and it appears to be AMD GPU framebuffer related, it was one of those things I added to my config a long time ago that I didn't question back at the time and now I see it's not needed at all.

Okay, I now pretty much know what held me back of getting 4K! It's much simpler than one may think initially.

First of all, 0x3E920009 (which you've sent me) seems to be a mobile framebuffer. Next, the LSPCon (Level Shifter/Protocol Converter) has - AFAIK - the purpose to convert internal DP-Signals to HDMI 2.0, probably in combination with enable-hdmi20. The i7 8700K can only deliver 30Hz on 4K using HDMI, since it seems to be HDMI 1.4, so those can be removed. I have never seen the graphic-options flag, thus I cannot say much about it. The boot flags also only made things worse.

Anyways, now to the issue: framebuffer-stolenmem. As soon as I add this flag, I get limited to 2K. Without it, and when I use either my original framebuffer, or yours, I get 4K. Only thing your config did, was change con0 and con1 alldata to change busid and pipe, as well as type, which rendered my HDMI dead. But with your framebuffer, your con-flags, and my busid, pipe and type, your config worked great too.

I now ended up with the following:

View attachment 518252

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <data>
        BwCbPg==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AQUJAAAEAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AgQKAAAIAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
        <data>
        AgAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
        <data>
        AAAAgA==
        </data>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

con0 and con1 are properly patched now, the platform-id is standard for this IGPU on desktops, portcount is probably not needed but a good semantic IMO and unifiedmem pulls VRAM from 1.5GB to 2GB (2048MB). This config should thus work for every i7 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero.

I kind of remember that stolenmem has something to do with DVMT-Prealloc overrides, like if you can't change this in BIOS. If that's true, then 00003001 (=0x01300000) equals to 19922944, which is 19MB (divide by 1024 twice). Anyways, I'm just going to leave this out, since everything works perfectly now without it.

Thank you for your help, @theroadw, I probably would've never found this myself. Now, I may even be able to fix the same issue on my laptop, :).
That's great news!

As for the laptop, I've solved that for my HP laptop too which runs High Sierra on Kaby Lake mobile. If it helps, this is what I'm currently using:

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.09.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.09.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.10.02 AM.png

You made me curious about this flag, and it appears to be AMD GPU framebuffer related, it was one of those things I added to my config a long time ago that I didn't question back at the time and now I see it's not needed at all.

Happy to see that you've further investigated that, :D. Good to know, going to remember that, if I ever need anything AMD-related. Not like I have a working GPU around anyways. The 6700 XT doesn't seem to be supported yet, :').

@Middleman

Mine's a KabyLake-R, but still, would you mind sharing your config? Can't see all parameters you're using on those images. Are you sure you need those Kext-Patches? Since you're patching the SKL (Skylake) graphics.

@Middleman

Mine's a KabyLake-R, but still, would you mind sharing your config? Can't see all parameters you're using on those images. Are you sure you need those Kext-Patches? Since you're patching the SKL (Skylake) graphics.
Nope, I don't mind at all. Actually I needed them because they didn't quite work without it.
Here you go.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.4 MB · Views: 141
Took some time to get the graphics acceleration, as well as DP and HDMI to work fully, but they now both do. This CPU has the built in UHD 630 GPU, which should easily be able to drive 4K@60Hz. I've patched my VRAM to be 2048MB and set DVMT-Prealloc to 64MB, also 128MB, no difference. I can always only choose 2K resolution in display settings panel.
I've the same issue with Asus Maximus X Hero iMac19 DVMT-Prealloc 128MB in bios. I reach 60hz but don't the 4k resolution. To connect my LG 4k monitor I use a DisplayPort to Hdmi adapter through Hdmi 2.0 cable. This is the screenshot of my config.

Schermata 2021-06-04 alle 18.01.59.png

Schermata 2021-06-04 alle 18.01.15.png
191028145408 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I now pretty much know what held me back of getting 4K! It's much simpler than one may think initially.

First of all, 0x3E920009 (which you've sent me) seems to be a mobile framebuffer. Next, the LSPCon (Level Shifter/Protocol Converter) has - AFAIK - the purpose to convert internal DP-Signals to HDMI 2.0, probably in combination with enable-hdmi20. The i7 8700K can only deliver 30Hz on 4K using HDMI, since it seems to be HDMI 1.4, so those can be removed. I have never seen the graphic-options flag, thus I cannot say much about it. The boot flags also only made things worse.

Anyways, now to the issue: framebuffer-stolenmem. As soon as I add this flag, I get limited to 2K. Without it, and when I use either my original framebuffer, or yours, I get 4K. Only thing your config did, was change con0 and con1 alldata to change busid and pipe, as well as type, which rendered my HDMI dead. But with your framebuffer, your con-flags, and my busid, pipe and type, your config worked great too.

I now ended up with the following:

View attachment 518252

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <data>
        BwCbPg==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AQUJAAAEAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AgQKAAAIAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
        <data>
        AgAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
        <data>
        AAAAgA==
        </data>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

con0 and con1 are properly patched now, the platform-id is standard for this IGPU on desktops, portcount is probably not needed but a good semantic IMO and unifiedmem pulls VRAM from 1.5GB to 2GB (2048MB). This config should thus work for every i7 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero.

I kind of remember that stolenmem has something to do with DVMT-Prealloc overrides, like if you can't change this in BIOS. If that's true, then 00003001 (=0x01300000) equals to 19922944, which is 19MB (divide by 1024 twice). Anyways, I'm just going to leave this out, since everything works perfectly now without it.

Thank you for your help, @theroadw, I probably would've never found this myself. Now, I may even be able to fix the same issue on my laptop, :).
I copied your config and now I reached 4k resolution but I lost 60hz, with my displayPort to hdmi adapter is there any way to keep 60hz at 4k resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back