Graphics
UHD 630, 3840x2400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello there!

Just playing around with some hardware I bought, specifically:
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32GB RAM, 1TB Sata SSD
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Z370

Took some time to get the graphics acceleration, as well as DP and HDMI to work fully, but they now both do. This CPU has the built in UHD 630 GPU, which should easily be able to drive 4K@60Hz. I've patched my VRAM to be 2048MB and set DVMT-Prealloc to 64MB, also 128MB, no difference. I can always only choose 2K resolution in display settings panel.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 16.07.59.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 16.07.51.png

Now, after all of this, I'm kind of out of ideas... Seems like a similar issue to my UHD 620 in my Lenovo laptop, which was also maxed out at 2K. Looking forward to any answers, anything will help! Attached my current EFI-Folder.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Option+left click on Scaled shows other options/clocks?

@theroadw

I also tried that, was one of my first thoughts, xD. It does reveal more, but nothing higher than 2K. Also, my kexts were outdated, just updated them, no difference.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 16.36.30.png

Try this, may want to keep your current NVRam boot args, just add these.

Attachments

• test-1.plist.zip
    1 KB · Views: 532
@theroadw

This has definitely done something, :)! I can choose 4K now, and even HiDPI-Options are suggested (scaling). Maybe should have stated this before: When I boot up, it takes around 2 Minutes after the IOConsoleUsers line print, until I get to the login screen. Now, with the config you posted, it prints a lot of what seems like errors before this line, and still delays some time afterwards. The whole UI is extremely laggy.

Something just seems off with all of this... :/. I thought UHD 630 would be easier, as I have already done a system in the past. Well, xD. Very tired already, going to get back into it tomorrow, thank you a lot for your help!

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 17.25.36.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 17.24.02.png

Try this order, remove the igfxfw=2 flag
still laggy?
switch back to your platform-id

I think lspcon is the one that enabled 4k.
Laggy could mean wrong FB if the rest of your ACPI is correct.
lspcon can be a bit temperamental so may need to try different options.

Just had that feeling as well, that igfxfw flag is causing lag and issues (also had inverted colors at some time, lol). Now removed both boot flags, and the lags and color-issues are gone. I have what seems to be proper scaling, and also 4K working, and didn't see any lags yet. Thank you! :)

Not completely sure whether or not it was the lspcon, or just the different frame buffer, I will try to find that out tomorrow tho, to learn something new.

Okay, I now pretty much know what held me back of getting 4K! It's much simpler than one may think initially.

First of all, 0x3E920009 (which you've sent me) seems to be a mobile framebuffer. Next, the LSPCon (Level Shifter/Protocol Converter) has - AFAIK - the purpose to convert internal DP-Signals to HDMI 2.0, probably in combination with enable-hdmi20. The i7 8700K can only deliver 30Hz on 4K using HDMI, since it seems to be HDMI 1.4, so those can be removed. I have never seen the graphic-options flag, thus I cannot say much about it. The boot flags also only made things worse.

Anyways, now to the issue: framebuffer-stolenmem. As soon as I add this flag, I get limited to 2K. Without it, and when I use either my original framebuffer, or yours, I get 4K. Only thing your config did, was change con0 and con1 alldata to change busid and pipe, as well as type, which rendered my HDMI dead. But with your framebuffer, your con-flags, and my busid, pipe and type, your config worked great too.

I now ended up with the following:

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 02.09.33.png

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
        <data>
        BwCbPg==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AQUJAAAEAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
        <data>
        AgQKAAAIAADHAwAA
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
        <data>
        AgAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
        <data>
        AQAAAA==
        </data>
        <key>framebuffer-unifiedmem</key>
        <data>
        AAAAgA==
        </data>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

con0 and con1 are properly patched now, the platform-id is standard for this IGPU on desktops, portcount is probably not needed but a good semantic IMO and unifiedmem pulls VRAM from 1.5GB to 2GB (2048MB). This config should thus work for every i7 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero.

I kind of remember that stolenmem has something to do with DVMT-Prealloc overrides, like if you can't change this in BIOS. If that's true, then 00003001 (=0x01300000) equals to 19922944, which is 19MB (divide by 1024 twice). Anyways, I'm just going to leave this out, since everything works perfectly now without it.

Thank you for your help, @theroadw, I probably would've never found this myself. Now, I may even be able to fix the same issue on my laptop, :).

First of all, 0x3E920009 (which you've sent me) seems to be a mobile framebuffer.
maybe as you only have a laptop in your hardware profile? :)

also set DVMT in your BIOS to 128MB and then disable the stolemem etc

@Feartech

Yeah, I just don't know how to add another system on my profile. Should I just override my laptop? But then that's an issue whenever I post anything about that...

Yep, DVMT is set to 128MB already, which is probably why I could remove stolenmem. Just not that simple on my laptop, since it has that option hidden, and is only flash-/patchable using an external programmer. I have that around, but there is not much documentation for my model. So maybe I need to increase DVMT using that flag on there. I've read about many systems that have no access to DVMT, but still managed to patch it "afterwards".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back