Contribute
Register

UEFI Secure Boot & OS X Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was afraid you'd say that. Clover Configurator has hundreds of fields, and I have no idea what half of them mean. The help file doesn't clear that up for me either.

I'm sorry but you have to go through that with Clover. You can post your hardware configuration to get help.

By hardware configuration do you mean hardware specs?

• Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
  • Intel Core i5 4670
  • 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866
  • EVGA Nvidia GTX780 3GB Classified
  • Sandisk Extreme II 480 GB SSD
  • Seagate 320 GB 5400 RPM HD
  • Samsung 1.5 TB 5400 RPM HD

I've also tried loading the default config.plist into Clover Configurator and using Mac 3,1 as the SMBIOS profile, filling in the missing fields with values taken from System Report. This didn't prevent the panic though, so I guess other changes are required.

By hardware configuration do you mean hardware specs?

• Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
  • Intel Core i5 4670
  • 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866
  • EVGA Nvidia GTX780 3GB Classified
  • Sandisk Extreme II 480 GB SSD
  • Seagate 320 GB 5400 RPM HD
  • Samsung 1.5 TB 5400 RPM HD

I've also tried loading the default config.plist into Clover Configurator and using Mac 3,1 as the SMBIOS profile, filling in the missing fields with values taken from System Report. This didn't prevent the panic though, so I guess other changes are required.

Try iMac 13,3. SMBIOS list:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Smbios.plist

You should post in right thread for others to help you. Good luck.

Is there a benefit to installing Hackintosh OS X Mavericks on a UEFI motherboard rather than the BIOS motherboard?
My motherboard can choose between old BIOS or UEFI. I am not sure if I want to flash the BIOS to UEFI. Current plan is to install a dual booting Hackintosh (Win7 64bit and OS X Mavericks).

I don't want to invest time to understand UEFI and re-learn and re-install Windows 7 and OS X Mavericks HackIntosh unless there is a benefit to doing so. Other than reading that I do not need DSDT files on UEFI machines, are there other benefits like faster HackIntosh, more stable HackIntosh, or a more compatible/more realistic Mac HackIntosh?

Thank you for any clarification or help.

You can't install OSX on a non-UEFI motherboard. BIOS and UEFI are different technologies. You can't flash a BIOS motherboard to turn it into a UEFI motherboard. If you want to run OSX on non-Apple hardware you need to purchase a UEFI motherboard, and preferably one from the TonyMacX86 recommended hardware threads.

This statement is in error. OS X has been installed on dozens of models of mainboard at least since Apple went to the Intel CPU. Every one of those boards from about 1999 to 2012 had BIOS that was not EFI. UEFI came out in either late 2012 or 2013 and Sandy Bridge boards that originally came out with the Award / AMI BIOS can be updated to UEFI.

The advantage of UEFI is that it is more "OS X friendly" and doesn't require a DSDT to get it working 100%.

This statement is in error. OS X has been installed on dozens of models of mainboard at least since Apple went to the Intel CPU. Every one of those boards from about 1999 to 2012 had BIOS that was not EFI. UEFI came out in either late 2012 or 2013 and Sandy Bridge boards that originally came out with the Award / AMI BIOS can be updated to UEFI.

The advantage of UEFI is that it is more "OS X friendly" and doesn't require a DSDT to get it working 100%.

I have the GA-G41MT-D3V-F2 mobo...how to find if i can update it to UEFI ?
Thanks in advance...

I have the GA-G41MT-D3V-F2 mobo...how to find if i can update it to UEFI ?
Thanks in advance...

You can't. Gigabyte declared the board EOL and stopped updating its BIOS before UEFI came out.

Thanks for the quick reply...i want to install Clover in my HDD...can i do that in legacy bios? Is it worth it or it's only for UEFI bios?

Thanks for the quick reply...i want to install Clover in my HDD...can i do that in legacy bios? Is it worth it or it's only for UEFI bios?

You can install legacy - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html Step 2 item 17 - use the Legacy selections in the Clover installer.

You might want to tst drive Clover with a USB for awhile first. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back