Contribute
Register

Triple booting OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
intel
Graphics
nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am building a new Hackintosh this summer and am planning on triple booting (if I can) with Windows and Ubuntu. I will be using a separate HDD for each OS, and I am just wondering if there are any guidelines I should follow while approaching this.

I have run into many errors in the past while installing Ubuntu on my PC (one HDD). I, somehow, uninstalled Windows during installation and had to buy a new copy. Needless to say, I am hoping this won't be the case with my Hackintosh.

So any help is appreciated, Thanks!

SPECS:

Intel Core i7 4770k
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD's
Asus GTX 770
Corsair CS650M PSU
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H Motherboard

I am building a new Hackintosh this summer and am planning on triple booting (if I can) with Windows and Ubuntu. I will be using a separate HDD for each OS, and I am just wondering if there are any guidelines I should follow while approaching this.

I have run into many errors in the past while installing Ubuntu on my PC (one HDD). I, somehow, uninstalled Windows during installation and had to buy a new copy. Needless to say, I am hoping this won't be the case with my Hackintosh.

So any help is appreciated, Thanks!

SPECS:

Intel Core i7 4770k
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD's
Asus GTX 770
Corsair CS650M PSU
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H Motherboard

Using separate disks you should be just fine, its the easiest way.

Best way to go about it is to connect one physical disk at a time, install an OS on it, then disconnect and move onto the next one. Once all 3 are done, you can connect them all back up together, making sure you boot from your OSX disk.

Remember that if you are using Chimera, do not install any of them in UEFI mode, since Chimera is not UEFI aware.

If you use Clover boot manager, then you can use UEFI mode to install.

Using separate disks you should be just fine, its the easiest way.

Best way to go about it is to connect one physical disk at a time, install an OS on it, then disconnect and move onto the next one. Once all 3 are done, you can connect them all back up together, making sure you boot from your OSX disk.

Remember that if you are using Chimera, do not install any of them in UEFI mode, since Chimera is not UEFI aware.

If you use Clover boot manager, then you can use UEFI mode to install.

Thank you so much! Would have never thought of unplugging the HDD's. :clap:

Thank you so much! Would have never thought of unplugging the HDD's. :clap:

Well, its safer having one disk at a time since there is less risk of accidentally overwriting another disk, plus windows and linux can overwrite boot managers, boot sectors etc. Keeping them separate avoids all this.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back