Palit JetStream GTX 680 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I have a 120GB SSD with Windows 7 installed on it. What I want to do is be able to boot Mountain Lion and Ubuntu from the same drive. Would I be able to install ML and Ubuntu without uninstalling 7? I really do want to avoid doing this as it has taken me a while to get it all configured and have all my favourite programs installed.

If not, could I buy a second SSD, and have Windows 7 boot from 1 SSD, and have OS X and Ubuntu boot from the other? I might actually have to resort to this as 7 is slowly taking up more and more space (nearly 60GB) and it might seem a tight squeeze to fit all three OSs on there.

I have read through the guide to triple booting but unfortunately this particular issue is not mentioned (apart from having to back up windows and do a clean install).

Thank you very much for your help, I am sorry if I have asked anything stupid or missed out some obvious info as I am new here. Looking forward to being part of the community and to eventually be able to help others like myself in the future! :)

bump

Has no-one encountered this issue before?

thanks

Your best bet if you don't want to mees with re-installing Windows is to leave the Win7 drive alone and install OS X and Ubuntu on another drive - even better, give each OS its own drive. If space or financial reasons makes it necessary to install on a single drive, it is fairly easy. The main thing to remember is not to install grub to the drive root but to the Ubuntu root. Basic steps are:
Format drive GUID partition tables, split how you want, first partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for OS X and the amount of the drive for Ubuntu leave free space.
Install OS X, run MultiBeast, install your apps, migrate files/apps from old drive, etc.
Install Ubuntu - here is where you have to be careful- decide now whether you want a /boot partition to put grub;
create your root and swap partitions, etc like normal. When the installer asks where you want to install grub choose the /boot or the / partition.
Finish install, reboot. Done

Hit a key at the Chimera boot screen to select an OS or install Instant Menu with MultiBeast to have the boot process stop and allow you to choose.

Thanks very much for the help! I will try that sometime soon and will follow up on this thread with my results!

Hi again!

Sorry to bother everyone with this issue again, but I want to make sure I get this right! Here is my current situation.

I have a PC running Windows 7 on a 120GB ssd (With a 1TB storage hdd). I want to install Mountain Lion onto a separate 60GB SSD.
I have access to a Macbook running Leopard 10.5.8. but I understand that I will need access to Snow Leopard 10.6 or later. I also wish to install Ubuntu to the 120GB SSD with windows 7 later down the line.

- What would be the best way of getting hold of Mountain Lion? Do I need Snow Leopard installed to my PC first, or can I simply install Mountain Lion if it is on the USB drive? Also, would anyone advise whether I should buy a snow leopard dvd (they're pretty expensive in the UK) or if I should upgrade this Macbook to snow leopard or higher?

-Is there a comprehensive guide for my particular situation? I understand using chameleon and multi-booting is pretty simple if Windows and OS X are on seperate drives but how about when Ubuntu and 7 are on the same drive? Does that create any added problems? I have looked through Going Bald's multi-booting guide which seems pretty good, but are there any others that I should look at?

Thank you again! I love this website and its members and hope to be able to contribute in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back