Graphics
Nvidia GTX 770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, I'll just begin by saying that this is my first try on a hackintosh. I sucessfully managed to install Maverics on a computer that already had Windows 8 on it (both OS are on separate drives). However, when I finished my tinkering I wanted to boot into Windows again, but alas, the boot manager (?) did not work (the error read that file: \boot\bcd is missing).
So, I made a recovery USB for Windows (not an installation USB) and tried a few lines in Command Prompt from other guides I've found to try to fix the problem (they have not... :banghead:), like BOOTREC /FIXMBR, BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD and this thing. After all of this, chimera is gone as well (I just get a blinking _ )and now nothing works.

Currently, I only have access to a Windows laptop and two USB drives.

For the record, the windows installation is on a intel ssd (e: ) and Maverics on a 1TB HHD (disc 3, I believe) and there's two additional drives (2TB and 3TB) in the setup. All the HDDs are Western Digital drives.

One more thing, in case it's important, this is what I have in the boot override section in the BIOS:
Clover OS X Boot
Clover OS X Boot (no idea why it's listed twice)
UEFI: WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 (This is the drive with Mavericks)
SATA PS: WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 (and this as well?)
P0: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWBO (storage HDD)
P1: WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMBO (storage HDD)
P3: INTEL SSDSC2CT180A3 (contains the Windows installation)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you disconnect everything but the Win8 SSD and select it to boot, does it still give the error?

Do you have a SATA-to-USB adapter you can connect your SSD to the notebook with and examine the drive format structure with the Windows disk management tool?

Do you have the retail Win8 DVD you used to install it on the SSD?

BTW, a WDxxEARS HDD is one of the worst drives you can install on - generally the worst boot0 offender of all HDDs, no matter the size.

I eventually found out what the problem with the W8 boot was. In addition to the bootloader being missing, the SSD with the W8 installation had become inactive (the recovery usb told me when I tried to refresh the install, but . I disconnected all the other disks and reset all the changes I had done in the BIOS (just in case). Then I fixed the problem with the inactive disk in the command prompt with these commands. Then, still in command prompt i tried this:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

the last command found the installation, but did not work when I entered Y
at this point I followed the steps in the link above. /rebuildbcd still didn't work after that and couldn't even find the installation, so I entered these lines:
bcdedit/export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h - r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
and again, bootrec /rebuildbcd
This time it worked and upon reboot, W8 booted normally.

So now, it just remains to get Mavericks booting without ruining W8 again. Any tips on that?
I've tried using iBoot on a USB to get the OS to boot, but it freezes on the white screen with the apple.

As for the boot0 because of the HDD; I got that error after installing, but it was fairly easy to fix

I eventually found out what the problem with the W8 boot was.
This time it worked and upon reboot, W8 booted normally.
:clap: Personally, on a new build I would have re-installed rather than going through all that.

So now, it just remains to get Mavericks booting without ruining W8 again. Any tips on that?
I've tried using iBoot on a USB to get the OS to boot, but it freezes on the white screen with the apple.
Use rBoot or your UniBeast USB to boot with - iBoot is for Snow Leopard only.
You can create a USB rescue boot drive by using any small USB, format it GUID/Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and run MultiBeast with the same selections you used on your HDD pointed at your USB.
Before attempting to fix your OS X boot, suggest you disconnect all other drives, especially the Win8 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back