Contribute
Register

this version of Mac ox X 10.7 is not compatible with my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
When booted into my SL 10.6.8 install (Lion GM on separate HD) I was getting the "not compatible" error when Lion first became available on the app store yesterday, as well as "A newer version of this app is already installed on this computer". Later on in the afternoon the Lion page said it was 'installed' already so I wasn't even able to click the buy button.

I'm not sure how I fixed it, but this is what I tried:

- Used the Mac Pro 3,1 smbios.plist provided by Mald0n on InsanelyMac - not sure if I can link there but his Lion install thread is easy to find
- Used Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191
- Renamed the gold master file (the 3.76GB app)
- Rebuilt spotlight index

The only reason for those last two points was because I stumbled over this blog post: OS X Lion: A newer version of this app is already installed on this computer.

- I *think* I also unplugged the drive with my GM Lion install

One or more of the above solved the problem.

I received the same Error and here is what worked for me

Multibeast 3.8.0
Check System Utilities
Check Bootloaders and select Chimera
Check System Definitions and select smbios for iMac12,2

Reboot and try again

Should work

Thank you martianrobot! that worked for me as well, once I checked the "64-bit Apple Boot Screen" on multibeast I was able to download the app.

Hello-
Thought I'd add to the whole "Your computer can't do Lion" (or whatever it says) thread. I got that message when I initially tried to buy Lion from the Mac Store. Searching for help, I found this thread (love me some TonyMac). So I tried the MultiBeast 3.8.0 suggestion, checking off the System Utilities, Chimera, and MacPro 3,1 as instructed. Here's the rub: the MultiBeast installer reported a failure. It said the installation failed. I rebooted, tried the exact same thing, failed again. Rebooted, and tried the Mac Store again, just for gits and shiggles. It works! Huzzah! Downloading as we speak. Dunno why, but I'm halfway there. Thanks guys!

-D

Well, after a few headaches with getting 10.6.8 installed, I am back to a fully functioning and stable system. I unfortunately am not having the same luck as some with these fixes and still am unable to download Lion from the MAS.

So, I have tried everything listed previous; run Multibeast, enable 64-bit, set to MacPro3,1 etc. I am still stuck. I hope Lion is released as a retail disc at some point soon. Maybe we will have better luck with that route.

Not sure if this is going to work, but I downloaded Lion from my MacMini today. When prompted to Install I cancelled and located the installer application (3.7 gb or so) and I copied it to a USB stick. I am going to try to install Lion tonight on my backup drive and see how it goes.

dvdflashbacks said:
Not sure if this is going to work, but I downloaded Lion from my MacMini today. When prompted to Install I cancelled and located the installer application (3.7 gb or so) and I copied it to a USB stick. I am going to try to install Lion tonight on my backup drive and see how it goes.

Did this work? I have tried everything in this thread several times yet I still get the same message when trying to purchase Lion through the App store. I can purchase it online through a different computer (with 10.6.7 no less) but I am thinking the Lion installer may not work if **whatever** is needed to be properly recognized is not there... (I'm on 10.6.8 with a very stable and fully functioning install).

UPDATE: Running multibeast for the fourth time out of frustration somehow worked (not sure why it didn't work first few times, perhaps it was something else in combination with MB)! Xmove worked great so the download was the most frustrating part of the Lion install for me.

eigen said:
Hi, Everyone!

I also had this problem, but it's downloading from the MAS now.

Here's what I did in Multibeast 3.8.0:

1. Checked all "System Utilities" (i.e., rebuild caches and repair permissions)
2. Check the "Chimera v1.4.1 r877" box under "Drivers & Bootloaders"
3. Checked the "MacPro 3,1" box under "System Definitions" under "Customization"
4. Clicked "Continue" to install it.

Here's what I **didn't** do:

- Manually edit "com.apple.Boot.plist"
- Manually edit "smbios.plist"

I performed all this under Mac OS X 10.6.7.

I know this may work for some and maybe not for others, but I just wanted to let everyone know what worked for me. I have a GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R motherboard if that at all helps.

~ eigen

Holy entire disk recovery after i followed this advice, ha. Now i am back, trying to figure out why its not recognized as an i7. Had this same issue with another program i was attempting to install as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back