Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Hello!

About a month ago, I followed this excellent guide and to build my first hackintosh.

Life was good. Great even.

Until yesterday... Silly me thought it would be a good idea to run the auto updater without backing anything up.

Today, I am a sad panda.

As far as I can tell, the installation went OK. However, when I boot from Clover, after the loading bar clears, I am presented with a black screen.

Would it be possible to ask for help to get things running again?

Thanks!

Should I install Parallel so I can install windows and then control the lights through that?

Seems like a good idea but it doesn't work.

Hello!

About a month ago I followed this excellent guide and to build my first hackintosh.

Until yesterday... Silly me thought it would be a good idea to run the auto updater without backing anything up.

Today I am a sad panda.

As far as I can tell the installation went ok, however when I boot from clover, after the loading bar clears, I am presented with a black screen.

Thanks!
Catalina 10.15.1? New video drivers
Hello!

About a month ago I followed this excellent guide and to build my first hackintosh.

Today I am a sad panda.

As far as I can tell the installation went ok, however when I boot from clover, after the loading bar clears, I am presented with a black screen.

Thanks!
Details? Catalina update to 10.15.1? Do you use an AMD card? If you do, check out the post on the main page about the update. I had to update Whatevergreen.kext to get my display back.

Correct, Catalina 10.15.1 with an AMD card.

I will checkout the post. Thank you.

Is it possible to update whatevergreen.kext through the Terminal in Recovery mode?

Correct, Catalina 10.15.1 with an AMD card.

I will checkout the post. Thank you.

Is it possible to update whatevergreen.kext through the Terminal in Recovery mode?
Or update your boot disk with it....should work

Or update your boot disk with it....should work
How would I do this?

Do you mean create a USB installer like so ?

How would I do this?

Do you mean create a usb installer like so ?

Yes, or even a Mojave boot disk with the updated whatevergreen.kext should work to get back to you Desktop, emphasize on should. Haven't tried it in this situation, but my Mojave boot disk works for my NUCs that run Catalina.

Alternatively, pull the drive and put it in an external enclosure and use another Mac to install the kext on it. I've got an NVMe external enclosure that helps if I hose my install and can't recover it.

Last edited:
You can do it from Windows too, if its more comfortable for you,

Very easy. You need to start comman as admin.

Fire up diskpart.

List disk <there will be all the USB/HDD/SSD in system. Choose wisely.
Select disk 0 <first try
List partition < if partition scheme is first 200MB second big as your SSD/HDD and Partition type unknown. This is what you need.
Select partition 1 < EFI part is first in most cases.
Assign letter=b.
Exit

Now run Total Commander with admin privileges to copy the kext to the right place (delete the old one before copying) from here. EFI shows up as drive B.

Back