Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Is there anyone facing reboot after the login? I'm using 9700K with 32GB RAM, Vega 56 reference, and I have no idea why it keeps rebooting few seconds (even before the login when I don't touch the desktop for some moment) after the login. I even set the CPU and ram clock to the vanilla set, but it's keep dying. It rarely boots, but I cannot find any error at console. If I'm the only one with this problem, I think I should swap my SSD...
You need to update your profile to include your hardware. It could be several things assuming you have the same motherboard, followed the guide and used the recommended bios settings. Might be your memory and or your ssd but it would help if you listed what you are using beyond the cpu. You don’t mention if you have Windows installed, if you do any issues there?

You need to update your profile to include your hardware. It could be several things assuming you have the same motherboard, followed the guide and used the recommended bios settings. Might be your memory and or your ssd but it would help if you listed what you are using beyond the cpu. You don’t mention if you have Windows installed, if you do any issues there?
Sorry, that was my fault. I added my profile. Detailed informations below!

Which SSD are you using?
I have two SSDs installed on my desktop now. Plextor S2G 512GB is for the hackintosh Catalina, and Samsung PM981 for the Windows. I know PM981 is not compatible for hackintosh, that's why I used Plextor for the hackintosh. Also the RAM I'm using is just the green Samsung thing you know... DDR4 21300 16GB * 2.
The problem is that normally boots well, but once the problem occurs, it will never boot properly again. I have already reinstalled hackintosh with Mojave and Catalina for about 10 times with the same build, and the problem randomly occurs.

(Apologize for my bad English)

I have two SSDs installed on my desktop now. Plextor S2G 512GB is for the hackintosh Catalina, and Samsung PM981 for the Windows. I know PM981 is not compatible for hackintosh, that's why I used Plextor for the hackintosh. Also the RAM I'm using is just the green Samsung thing you know... DDR4 21300 16GB * 2.
The problem is that normally boots well, but once the problem occurs, it will never boot properly again. I have already reinstalled hackintosh with Mojave and Catalina for about 10 times with the same build, and the problem randomly occurs.

This is a reach...have you tried removing the Samsung drive? Can’t imagine it wI’ll really make a difference but something to eliminate. It acts like a driver is missing but if you copied Modmike's EFI folder it can’t be that.

Last edited:

I have two SSDs installed on my desktop now. Plextor S2G 512GB is for the hackintosh Catalina, and Samsung PM981 for the Windows. I know PM981 is not compatible for hackintosh, that's why I used Plextor for the hackintosh. Also the ram I'm using is just the green Samsung thing you know... DDR4 21300 16GB * 2.

This is a reach...have you tried removing the Samsung drive? Can’t imagine it wI’ll really make a difference but something to eliminate. It acts like a driver is missing but if you copied Modmikes EFI folder it can’t be that.

If the PM981 is anything like the 970 EVO Plus before the firmware fixes, the mere presences of the SSD will cause instability to macOS. This is true even if the SSD is completely devoid of any data.

Good Job :D

Did you use the supplied cables as an extension cord?
#2,554

Used 2 wires from the built-in module and bought one
On aliexpress, you can find wires of any length for NGFF modules

Today Sidecar works wireless... :headbang:
Didn’t change anything in EFI settings, but yesterday I fixed some WiFi settings in router for faster connect...
Maybe it was "WiFi network issue".

IMG_20191028_141637.jpg

This is a reach...have you tried removing the Samsung drive? Can’t imagine it wI’ll really make a difference but something to eliminate. It acts like a driver is missing but if you copied Modmikes EFI folder it can’t be that.
If the PM981 is anything like the 970 EVO Plus before the firmware fixes, the mere presences of the SSD will cause instability to macOS. This is true even if the SSD is completely devoid of any data.

Well, tried after removing PM981 but it seems not working yet. I think the biggest problem should be my SSD, sad...

@pastrychef
I saw that you are using smbios iMacPro
Does it improve video rendering performance with HEVC DGPU acceleration?

@pastrychef
I saw that you are using smbios iMacPro
Does it improve video rendering performance with HEVC DGPU acceleration?

I don't do any video rendering, but based on what I've read from others who use Vega cards with iMacPro1,1 system definition, it does help a bit.

Back