Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

Try delidding your CPU so it can run to its full potential. I did it to mine. Details are here.

I run my i9-9900K at 5GHz on 1.275v and LLC4. Temps max out at around 81C when running Prime95 and idles around 29-32C. I can get the CPU to 5.2GHz but requires about 1.350v and temps get to around 91C. I didn't like it so hot so I brought it back down to 5GHz. This is all on a Noctua NH-D15S.
I do not want to do scalping yet, as this will deprive the processor of a guarantee. Perhaps in the future, in 2020.

Are you using a different motherboard or just an Asus Z390-I Gaming?
On ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX / ac I did not have such problems, that is, it loaded the processor to the maxim by default.

What is LLC4 setup, what is it responsible for?

What value do you get in Cinebench?
Снимок экрана 2019-10-27 в 7.56.12.jpg

I do not want to do scalping yet, as this will deprive the processor of a guarantee. Perhaps in the future, in 2020.

Are you using a different motherboard or just an Asus Z390-I Gaming?
On ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX / ac I did not have such problems, that is, it loaded the processor to the maxim by default.

What is LLC4 setup, what is it responsible for?

I first used my i9-9900K with an Asus Z370-G but that motherboard had wake issues when I installed a Radeon VII. So, I switch to a Gigabyte Z390 M motherboard.

LLC = Load Line Calibration. This can be used to help keep prevent VDroop which is when voltage drops for CPUs. This is a safety feature put in by Intel to help protect the CPU but can cause instability when overclocking.

"Z" motherboards have the LLC feature to allow users to adjust the VDroop. Be careful when messing with this setting. If you set it too high, it can cause voltage to overshoot and feed too much power to your CPU. Too low and it can introduce instability. Usually, it's best to stay somewhere near the middle.

I conducted an AIDA64 stress test without a metal cover on the motherboard.

IMG_8357.jpg

When it was installed, the VRM did not heat above 70 - 71 degrees under constant load for an hour.

124 2 2.jpg

Now that it is removed from the motherboard, in just 10 minutes, the VRM has warmed up to 97 degrees. I did not start the test further, because such temperatures are dangerous.

Снимок3.PNG

Thus, I do not advise anyone to use a motherboard without a top cover, as this leads to very strong heating.

Of course, a radiator can be glued to the power module, but it will definitely not be better than the original cover because of its large size.

All screen:

Снимок3 2.jpg

If this is interesting to someone, I think I found a great riser for the BCM943602CS. The kit includes cables for 20, 30 and 40 cm. Also included are four antenna cables with a length of 15 cm each (Uf.l-female (I P X) to Uf.l-female (I P X)). I don’t know for sure whether such antenna cables are suitable or not for extending the standard ones, but nevertheless placed an order.
The lengths of 20 cm and 15 cm should be enough for me to bundle the Wi-Fi / Bluetooth module outside the inside of the lid.

Снимок экрана 2019-10-27 в 15.08.49.png

Is there anyone facing reboot after the login? I'm using 9700K with 32GB RAM, Vega 56 reference, and I have no idea why it keeps rebooting few seconds (even before the login when I don't touch the desktop for some moment) after the login. I even set the CPU and ram clock to the vanilla set, but it's keep dying. It rarely boots, but I cannot find any error at console. If I'm the only one with this problem, I think I should swap my SSD...

Is there anyone facing reboot after the login? I'm using 9700K with 32GB RAM, Vega 56 reference, and I have no idea why it keeps rebooting few seconds (even before the login when I don't touch the desktop for some moment) after the login. I even set the CPU and ram clock to the vanilla set, but it's keep dying. It rarely boots, but I cannot find any error at console. If I'm the only one with this problem, I think I should swap my SSD...
Which SSD are you using?

Just finished my build on new Asus motherboard:

i5-8600K(scalped with liquid metal)
Asus Rog Strix Z390-I Gaming
Radeon™ RX VEGA 64 GAMING OC 8G

Samsung 960 evo 500Gb NVMe m.2- main ssd
Samsung 970 evo 1Tb NVME m.2 - second ssd
Western Digital Sata SSD 1 TB
And 2xHDD 2TB

BCM943602CS with riser

Works:
Sleep, shutdown etc
Bluetooth, wifi
DGPU multi display
HEVC, h.264 acceleration on Intel CPU
Sidecar with USB connection

Doesn't work:
1)Sidecar with wireless, i can see My iPad in mirroring options, but connections failed
2)USB 3.1 Monitor connection. Display port Alt mode feature not working
3)USB 3.1 connection with iPad

Not bad at all, but i will try to fix it.
Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 20.30.52.png

Back