Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Does anybody have any idea? I'm really stuck.
I've found this one to work well.

I have followed this guide, as well as tried OCAuxiliaryTools and OpenCore Updater to update OC from 0.7.1 to 0.8.6. However, none of them succeeded. In all attempts, My OptiMac booted with OC 0.7.1, although all the related update files were placed in EFI and NVRAM was cleared. I also tried OC 0.7.1 to 0.7.2 with all 3 methods, but with no success. Does anybody have any idea? I'm really stuck.

In OCAuxiliaryTools, do you make sure that it's set on 'latest opencore' and that you save it properly? It should work like a charm...

2022-11-08_09-43-52.png

It seems that my previous post saying "problem solved" has been removed since there was my serial number in a picture posted. It was very easy problem to fix - I have 2 SSDs and I and both 2 apps installed up-to-date OC on the wrong SSD. Weirdly HackinDROM recognized 0.7.1 as up-to-date and didn't allow me to do anything. So, I switch back to OCAuxiliaryTools and mounted the right SSD and made sure the wrong one unmounted, then I was able to install Monterey. Now my 9020 MT is running with no issues. Thank you @trs96 and @joostiphone so much for your help!

In OCAuxiliaryTools, do you make sure that it's set on 'latest opencore' and that you save it properly? It should work like a charm..

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I did. And you are absolutely right as the app is just doing its job as programmed... just stupid me overlooked which EFI I should mount...

It seems that my previous post saying "problem solved" has been removed since there was my serial number in a picture posted. It was very easy problem to fix - I have 2 SSDs and I and both 2 apps installed up-to-date OC on the wrong SSD. Weirdly HackinDROM recognized 0.7.1 as up-to-date and didn't allow me to do anything. So, I switch back to OCAuxiliaryTools and mounted the right SSD and made sure the wrong one unmounted, then I was able to install Monterey. Now my 9020 MT is running with no issues. Thank you @trs96 and @joostiphone so much for your help!

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I did. And you are absolutely right as the app is just doing its job as programmed... just stupid me overlooked which EFI I should mount...
Thanks for this, and thanks @joostiphone
I was having the same trouble upgrading OC from 0.7.1 to 0.8.5. HackinDROM simply would not work. OCAuxiliaryTools worked perfectly.
One thing noted, when on 0.7.1 I had an option for NVRAM reset on the bootloader menu. This disappeared with the upgrade. I can't remember, is it something that needs to be added, or has it been removed with subsequent OC versions?

Last edited:
has it been removed with subsequent OC versions?
Yes, it's now a driver in the Drivers folder.

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Add it there and in the config.plist. UEFI -> Drivers section

Screen Shot 20.jpg

From Miliuco's post on the OC changes:
  • Removed AllowNvramReset and AllowToggleSip from Misc / Security
  • Reset NVRAM (ResetNvramEntry.efi) and Toggle SIP (ToggleSipEntry.efi) have been added in UEFI >> Drivers. These drivers are automatic: if you have them in Drivers folder and in config.plist, they are displayed in the picker and can be selected.
Note: In previous versions, Reset NVRAM was included within OpenCore and did not exist as standalone tool and Toggle SIP existed as tool in the Tools folder and in Misc >> Tools of config.plist.

Last edited:
Oh thanks @trs96 that worked.
I thought I was going crazy looking for it in MISC > Security where it used to be.

Mine is finally back as a spare DAW computer for school. I’ve just cloned my Mojave MBP 2015 on a spare SATA SSD and upgraded to OC 0.8.8.

Unfortunately, I forgot about the incompatibility between AMD GPU’s and sleep and spent a couple of hours wondering why I had a weird screen after sleep (RX460 and WX5100).

Finally put back the GT710, an ASUS PCE-AC68 wifi card and an Orico USB 3.1 gen2 card for my sample drive (Samsung T5).

Still going strong…

@brousseau6933 That's amazing! Do you have your sleep/wake working after switching to GT710 ? Are you using Logic Pro ?

@brousseau6933 That's amazing! Do you have your sleep/wake working after switching to GT710 ? Are you using Logic Pro ?
Sleep/wake works fine contrarily when I tried the AMD cards. Bear in mind that the GT710 won’t work above Catalina (I think!).

Anyway, it’ll stay with Mojave for eternity :)

I use Reaper only with a Roland OctaCapture. Good little DAW!

**Searching correctly, it appears it works until Big Sur. Without HEVC encoding or DRM support though. I only need it for basic display and it gets the job done. Performance is on par with the integrated HD4600.

I got Mac OS installed on my T1700 with the 760 but quick question, where do you download the modGRUBShell.efi? I need to do the USB mod as USB 2 isn't routed through XHC.

Regards

Jack

Back