Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

I
Are you using a DP to HDMI adapter ? Straight DP to DP ? I'm not sure if this will work but you can experiment.

Here's what you can try when using iMac 15,1. Go to Devices/Properties section of config.plist.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)

Make yours look exactly like this:
View attachment 509391
I have tried this and not work as I guess the problem is using old monitor acer AL 2017 with DP to VGA.

I have tried this and not work as I guess the problem is using old monitor acer AL 2017 with DP to VGA.
Whether wake from sleep works properly or not on these Dell Hackintoshes depends on many variables. Type of monitor, type of connector, version of macOS, version of OC, it gets very complicated. Seems the only way to keep it working is to stay with what you find works and then don't make any more changes. The other alternative of course is to disable sleep altogether and just do a complete shutdown instead. Boot up times with an SSD drive are plenty fast.

Last edited:
using old monitor acer AL 2017 with DP to VGA.
That is about a 14 y.o. monitor that only has VGA input. A 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't help either

Native Resolution
1400 x 1050
Contrast Ratio
600:1
Color Support
16.2 million colors

Big Sur in 2021 deserves something a lot better than that.
There is actually a budget HP 24" monitor with DP input on Amazon.
Not sure if you could get one where you are though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BF4CZSV/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Seems the only way to keep it working is to stay with what you find works and then don't make any more changes.
Wise words!, I always had some sort of sleep issue with whatever Hack I built but, this one is the most behaved. Just goes to sleep and will even wake after two days without restarting so i'll leave it at that and try not to alter anything.

One issue that crops up for us Optimac SFF owners is lack of space for upgrading to say, a full size graphics card!. But is there another way?, my mini cube uses a R53SR cable to connect an RX560 to a motherboard that has no x16 slot, but can connect via WLAN /mPCIe slot. Yesterday I connected this rather complicated setup below to my 9020 SFF, the fan span up so it's definitely getting power, but the display couldn't detect a signal. Now I'm wondering if I need an extra cable for the 'USB in'. I shall keep you updated if I get it to work.

92086AA4-5643-4EB2-BD15-CF86ED84C422.jpeg

Yesterday I connected this rather complicated setup below to my 9020 SFF, the fan span up so it's definitely getting power, but the display couldn't detect a signal.
I don't think that the blue x16 PCIe slot on the Optiplex 7020/9020 SFF models supplies the full 75W of power that non-Dell or HP motherboards do. Then when you add in the two adapters, that further complicates power delivery matters.

Screen_Shot_2.png

You'd have to research that to find out power limits for that x16 slot. To power a 560 just from that PCIe slot via adapters is asking a lot from the SFF motherboard. It's really designed for LP workstation graphics cards like the WX4100 that doesn't need the amount of power that a 560 does. To game with a Dell Optiplex really requires at least the MT motherboard.

Here's the specs for a WX4100 card:

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that the blue x16 PCIe slot on the Optiplex 7020/9020 SFF models supplies the full 75W of power that non-Dell or HP motherboards do.

What a shame!, yes it's definitely over complicated, miners forced me to seek an alternative.

What a shame!, yes it's definitely over complicated, miners forced me to seek an alternative.
Here's a pic of the 7020 MT motherboard with a full size gfx card on a test bench. This setup gives you the option for the full power delivery from the x16 slot. Adding in 3rd party 500W PSU as well opens up a lot of options. With kids and pets (cats) around though you definitely don't want those fans spinning at high RPMs with no case around them.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Hmm... I would be concerned if my 7yr old inspected the high RPM fans, though not if a cat strayed to close, I’m a dog person!. It would be interesting to see what could be 3D printed around a test bench!.

Hmm... I would be concerned if my 7yr old inspected the high RPM fans, though not if a cat strayed to close, I’m a dog person!. It would be interesting to see what could be 3D printed around a test bench!.
Here's the link to a Dell tech manual online. Shows the example of a supported AMD card that only uses a max of about 50W. I do know that the MT boards PCIe x16 slots provide up to 75W of power through them.

Back