Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: GeForce GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.
gtx660.jpg

Successfully installed the Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce OC 2GB on 10.8.3. :thumbup:

I even flawlessly enabled HDMI Audio using toleda's guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/84936-easy-guide-ml-hdmi-audio-hd4000-7-series-mb.html).

I can't vouch for the display port though since I don't own a Cinema Display, but HDMI works great.

Anyone can help me?
i have clean install 10.8.3, then instal my gtx660. I am already add bootflag graphicsenabler=no on multibeast also.
I got KP after that.

my spec:
ga-z77x-d3h
i5 3570k
16gb corsair memory
Gigabyte nvidia gtx660

I'm trying to upgrade from my EVGA 9800GTX+ (GraphicsEnabler=Yes) to a Zotac GTX 660. Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and an i7-2600K CPU running stock. ML 10.8.2.

I was getting a KP mentioning FakeSMC (as also referred to by 'minihack', above) so I adopted this process:

1 - Install Nvidia 10.8.2 drivers specific to the GTX 660 while running the 9800GTX+
2 - Erase FakeSMC from S/L/E
3 - Set GraphicsEnabler=No using TonyMac app
4 - Repair permissions using TonyMac app
5 - Power off
6 - Remove 9800GTX+ and install GTX 660
7 - Restart

Now I get this KP and am mystified as to what to do next - it refers to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext after the debugger is called. SysDef is MacPro 3,1 which has always worked in the past.

In case it's unclear, the subsequent text refers to com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily, com.apple.iokit.USBFamily and com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.

Booting in safe and/or single user modes makes no difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had this KP myself.

What you have to do is boot into your Mountain Lion Drive (with safe boot, if you can't normally), and then install "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, I believe in the miscellaneous section of drivers in MultiBeast 5.3.1.

Hope this helps!

I have the 660ti running on 10.6.8, however it doesn't show the correct amount of ram under system properties, 3mb, and only shows 1 display resolution at 1280x1024. Has anyone successfully got this card to run in Snow Leopard? Any help would be awesome because I have tried just about everything I could from google and this site. I am looking for a solution besides install Lion/MLion if possible.

Here are my specs first:

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel i7 3770
EVGA GTX 660
Corsair HX750
1tb 7200RPM
Cooler Master HAF-XM

I followed the instructions to the letter. I used my onboard Intel graphics to install. Had to boot using the "-x" to boot basic drivers. Installed fine. I can now boot to the hard drive fine from onboard graphics, but when I install my graphics card I have to type the "GraphicEnabler=No" at the load screen other wise after the apple load screen I just get a white screen. Any advice on this? Do I need to re-install with the nVidia card in or is there something else I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Tony

Here are my specs first:

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
Intel i7 3770
EVGA GTX 660
Corsair HX750
1tb 7200RPM
Cooler Master HAF-XM

I followed the instructions to the letter. I used my onboard Intel graphics to install. Had to boot using the "-x" to boot basic drivers. Installed fine. I can now boot to the hard drive fine from onboard graphics, but when I install my graphics card I have to type the "GraphicEnabler=No" at the load screen other wise after the apple load screen I just get a white screen. Any advice on this? Do I need to re-install with the nVidia card in or is there something else I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Tony

Above problem was fixed with multi beast. My problem now is that I cant get the wifi/bluetooth card that came with the board to work. Not a major issue as I have a wired connection, but I wouldn't mind having bluetooth. Anyone with this board figure out that yet?

I just cant seem to get my Gigabyte GTX660 working on 10.8.3 I have it working with 10.8.2 fine (other than random freezes occassionally). I am just not clear what order i should be doing the combo update to 10.8.3.
I tried:
run combo update to 10.8.3 and before the last step where it wants to reboot, I run multibeast and set GraphicsEnabler=No.
I reboot and it spins forever. I can however boot in safe mode no problem. I have tried installing Nvidia drivers right after the combo update as well. I have tried nvda_drv=1 in the bootflags but no luck. I wish i had bought the full GTX660TI so I wouldnt have to deal with this.
Different combinations i have tried:
10.8.2 -> combo update 10.8.3 -> multi-beast -> reboot = frozen
10.8.2 -> combo update 10.8.3 -> nvidia driver -> multi-beast = frozen
10.8.2 -> combo update 10.8.3 -> multi-beast -> reboot to safemode -> nvidia driver -> reboot = frozen

if i look at verbose mode i see it freezes at sandboxd(152) deny mach-lookup.
Am I going about this wrong?

Finally got my GTX 660 working under 10.8.4. I had to remove FakeSMC plugins otherwise the system would reboot as soon as it tried to load the login screen. Nvidia CUDA drivers are installed but untested. I can't get to the login screen without Netkas' IOPCIFamily.kext and 10.8.1 (M.B. Rollback) AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I would love to use the stock kexts as kernelcache doesn't work without them.

@inquiztr Might be an issue with the 10.8.3 update and not the graphics card. You should try the kexts I mentioned. If you can, clone your 10.8.2 install to a second drive or partition and use that for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back