Graphics
Gigabyte 4GB 970GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all, I posted this in the installation section, but on second thought I think this is more appropriately suited to Post-Installation.

My 5870 burnt to a crisp, and because the manufacturer is likely to replace it with a non-compatible 6950 (based on reports from the internet), I purchased a gtx 560 ti 448 because i got a great deal and some internet sleuthing showed that it was compatible.

I can actually get to the OS X installer when booting from my unibeast USB drive and using npci=0x2000, but I've been unable to get to desktop if I select my pre-existing 10.7.4 disk from the boot menu. My best guess is that flagging npci=0x2000 is a necessary, but not sufficient condition to desktop. To that end, I have tried pretty much every combination of GraphicsEnabler=yes/no; PCIRootUID=0/1 and npci=0x2000/0x3000 without luck.

I do have a Windows 7 drive which I can boot into fine, so if there are some kexts to remove, or files to edit, I might be able to do so using MacDrive.

I do have my OS X hard drive backed up, so I could wipe and do a fresh install, but I've backed up using CrashPlan, so i would have to redownload everything which would be a huge PITA if I can avoid it.

Cool, well that's a good "worst case scenario" I guess, but I'd really like to get this 560 ti 448 working in the meantime!

I guess my next step is to try installing 10.8 over my Lion install...think that might help?

After screwing around a bit, I've just completed a Mountain Lion install using Unibeast.

Card works great, its recognized by the OS, and IDs correctly in About this Mac, QE/CI working perfectly.

Way easier than to continue screwing around like I was.

Thanks for the help all!

For posterity's sake: just update to Mountain Lion and all your problems with this card will go away.

After screwing around a bit, I've just completed a Mountain Lion install using Unibeast.

Card works great, its recognized by the OS, and IDs correctly in About this Mac, QE/CI working perfectly.

Way easier than to continue screwing around like I was.

Thanks for the help all!

For posterity's sake: just update to Mountain Lion and all your problems with this card will go away.

Just confirmed this, i'm on ML latest and yesterday swap my Radeon HD 5870 for GTX 560 TI ( 1280mb ) and worked fine, did not have to do anything else, just worked as a plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back