Contribute
Register

[Success] VGA port fix for Intel HD 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
now i am close to updating my system to 10.7.3 and when i do i would like to take a run at updating the video driver to support VGA. do you think i would be best to patch the kext or the DSDT? and what exactly to i need to either change or add to make it work...

thanks in advance

Hello all,

I had success having the Intel HD 3000 integrated display working via VGA port. I used the kexts posted in this thread. Lion 10.7.3 with Multibeast 4.2.1. MacBook Pro 8,1 smbios.

The only problem is the black screen after reboot, fixable with the sleep/wake trick.

Rotation not working for me. I get the black screen and have to delete the user preferences (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist and in /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver...).

I have full resolution at 1920x1080. I am not sure if SwitchX program made it work, because I installed it and still got black screen; uninstalled it and tried the sleep/wake trick to make it work.

Finally, the other detail is Mission Control appearing pixelated and with noise. Nothing to worry about, just reporting.

...Ricardo

pippox0 said:
Hi,
i made some other modification, but resolution change problem remains (almost for me) :banghead:

TESTERS NEEDED
I post the files i used , so if someone would try easily the patch and share the results is welcome ...

I need to know if the Change resolution problem is my monitor's relation or it's for any monitor VGA.

Please try out and share your results , i will find faster a solution. ;)

This is specific for Desktop PC ( i disabled internal LCD port) with intel HD 3000 (Macmini custom build) with ID:0x0112 : 0x8068 (GraphicsEnabler=No in boot.plist)

HOW TO TRY
1) Insert smbios.plist of MacBokkPro8,1 in /Extra folder
1a) Backup your original AppleIntelHDGraphics.Kext/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
2) installl patched AppleIntelHDGraphics.Kext/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext in /System/Library/Extentions
3) Share here your results
4) if something gets wrong ( boot with -x -v parameters and delete /Library/preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist. then reboot.)

CHECK LIST
a) VGA /HDMI works with QE/CI ?
b) Can you change resolution ?
c) Rotations works ?
d) Traslucid desktop ?
e) Wave effects on Dashboard ?
f) Can use one, two o three monitors at same time ?
g) Any other tries you do

Best Regards

PippoX0

MacBook8,1 smbios.plist
smbios.plist
Patched Kexts for Id:112 (so no DSDT modification needed)
AppleIntelHDGraphics.zip
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.zip

P.S. optional Try
h) set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist so ID: become 126 instead of 112

Hi, thank you for your work. I wanted to report that I've just tried it to no avail. When installing your kexts, finder told me they werent compatible or something, I ignored it, fixed permissions, copied your smbios and rebooted.
Sadly, it couldnt even boot, in the boot log it failed to load the kexts.

So now im back with HDMI only. any clues? (I'm on 10.7.3, HD3000 only on GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3-F8)

Re: VGA port fix for Intel HD 3000

pippox0 said:
I hex edited the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB binary
( i changed the value from 503 to 602 for VGA port)

Hi, I dont know how to hex edit, can you tell me some about? Thanks

elgris_77 said:
pippox0 said:
I hex edited the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB binary
( i changed the value from 503 to 602 for VGA port)

Hi, I dont know how to hex edit, can you tell me some about? Thanks

Hi, try hex fiend app or any hex editor.

My latest advance is to only modify the kext as pippo told (0503->0602) and when loading with GraphicsEnabler=No then I get 1280x1024 on HDMI and VGA (mirrored image), and no QE/CI. I think I'm getting closer.

question: why are there 2 kexts to load, only AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB has the bye values to replace. What is the other one for?

Trying this stuff I discovered that the z68ma-d2h-b3 copies the output of the DVI-D port to the VGA port, so if I connect 3 displays (HDMI+DVI-D+VGA) I get the same image on DVI-D and VGA. So I leave something on the DVI-D port and I have HDMI+VGA with QE/CI and all the stuff. The only caveat is that VGA resolutions depend on DVI-D config (switchresx coulndt help here), but nothing is perfect in life.

Thank you all people!

Stork said:
Apple hasn't supported VGA graphics for a decade, and, then, for a short time only. I've heard the tonymacx86 masters recommend others to use the other graphics ports/adapters because VGA won't work with OS X.
i am not sure what leads you to believe this.... i do corporate events and use macs all the time with VGA out to our projectors and switchers. even the new minimac's with thunderbolt and macbook pros all support VGA via the display port/miniDVI/thunderbolt output.

I'm not able to get this working no matter how hard/different ways I try. I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and want to use the dvi and vga ports for a dual monitor setup. i can boot up with the vga and dvi monitors working and showing the same image with GraphicsEnabler=No but as that implies I have no exceleration and have crappy resolution. I am also using Mac OS X 10.7.3, 8 Gigs of ram and an Intel i5 2500k

My primary monitor is DVI and I'm trying to add a second VGA monitor (spare laying around). My specs are in my profile, and my Device ID is 0x126. I'm on 10.7.3. I switched to the MacBookPro8,1.smbios (from Macmini5,1), patched my DSDT to show the 0x116 device ID, patched IntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from 0503 > 0602, repaired permissions, ran kext utility and rebooted. I noticed that I have to put the computer into sleep and wake it again for the VGA port to work. However, after that, everything is perfect (besides the fact that I have to sleep/wake if i switch resolutions on the VGA port). Is there any way that I can avoid having to sleep/wake after booting, and possibly switch back to my Macmini5,1 smbios, I would rather have a "desktop" profile.

brcreswell said:
I'm not able to get this working no matter how hard/different ways I try. I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and want to use the dvi and vga ports for a dual monitor setup. i can boot up with the vga and dvi monitors working and showing the same image with GraphicsEnabler=No but as that implies I have no exceleration and have crappy resolution. I am also using Mac OS X 10.7.3, 8 Gigs of ram and an Intel i5 2500k

I think thats because the VGA is wired in this board to give you the analog version of what you've got on the DVI port. If you can get three displays (HDMI, DVI-D and VGA) try hooking them up at the tree outputs. My bets are that you'll get the same image on DVI-D and VGA, and another one on HDMI. I can't test this with ther OSes, but I think that's the way the board is built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back