Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] SilverLake Sierra GM GA-170X-Ultra Gaming Nvidia 950GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great you got past the booting problems with Clover!

If you are sometimes seeing it or seeing it incorrectly then I have to wonder if you have exactly the right Kexts... I found the default installations generally gave more than I needed so I am running still with exactly the configuration above (its a system I use every day). however, if you have a NVMe SSD then this may be more problematic --- I do have one but use it solely for Windows on this rig and just use regular AHCI SSDs for the macOS boot.

Great you got past the booting problems with Clover!

If you are sometimes seeing it or seeing it incorrectly then I have to wonder if you have exactly the right Kexts... I found the default installations generally gave more than I needed so I am running still with exactly the configuration above (its a system I use every day). however, if you have a NVMe SSD then this may be more problematic --- I do have one but use it solely for Windows on this rig and just use regular AHCI SSDs for the macOS boot.

Hi,

I have one more question. I am still wondering why my SSD is not recognized and one idea is if the UEFI partition is set as active. How do I find out if it is or not? And how to make it active? I know the steps to do it with Chimera and Yosemite, but I don't know how to do it in Sierra with Clover ... Could You advise me how to do it? Thanks!

Thanks for the thread; I have a very similar build (different Nvidia GPU). Everything works just fine, except sleep/wake. I am assuming this is due to the USB mapping. I am trying to follow your post and the guide here,; your port mapping is perfect, I have one extra USB2 port connected (HS07 to a BT board), however I also have thunderbolt 3 (working) connected to an Apple Thunderbolt monitor (again, working, along with its internal USB hub, an external USB hub and various USB devices connected to it (all working fine). The USB devices inserted in these ports show up here in IoReg:

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 8.16.35 PM.png

The controller seems to be AppleUSBEHCI and the devices under it don't have short names like HSxx... I'm a bit stumped and trying to find my way further, any help would be highly appreciated...

Just want to say a huge thanks for providing this. Between your instructions and the scripts you mention I was able to get my system fully running. I've attached my full Clover directory with all the drivers and kexts in case it will help anyone else that comes across this thread.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3 MB · Views: 93
Hi all,

I am using the same mobo (Z170X-ULTRA GAMING) and there are several issues happening:

1) It does not work at all with certain SSD drives (for example Kingston Hyper X)
2) I ended up with an Intel M.2 drive and time to time the hackintosh boots and get's stuck on the apple logo and progress bar - after turning the machine off for some seconds I have to go to BIOS and set again the proper boot drive. This happens randomly.
3) After turning off the machine, the HDD led is constantly on and CPU fan is running, unless I unplug the machine from the power socket. The optical drive turns on and off about once a second.

As I can't work without my computer, I had to buy a new board, because I thought it was faulty, but the second board does exactly the same rubbish things ... Gigabyte refuses to help me.

Does anyone experience similar problems?

Now I'm very sorry that I have chosen this board. I thought Gigabyte boards were reliable and fine tuned (as was my previous X58a-UD5).

Also the onboard audio is not working OOB.

Regards!

Thanks for the thread; I have a very similar build (different Nvidia GPU). Everything works just fine, except sleep/wake. I am assuming this is due to the USB mapping. I am trying to follow your post and the guide here,; your port mapping is perfect, I have one extra USB2 port connected (HS07 to a BT board), however I also have thunderbolt 3 (working) connected to an Apple Thunderbolt monitor (again, working, along with its internal USB hub, an external USB hub and various USB devices connected to it (all working fine). The USB devices inserted in these ports show up here in IoReg:

The controller seems to be AppleUSBEHCI and the devices under it don't have short names like HSxx... I'm a bit stumped and trying to find my way further, any help would be highly appreciated...

Hi Ifonul, I've same mobo, same cpu, gfx 970 or HD530 all working.
Did you find put how to solve shutdown, sleep problems? I'm stuck with it.
Used the 2 USB AML from Gphb posted here, but not his config.plist, should I?

Just want to say a huge thanks for providing this. Between your instructions and the scripts you mention I was able to get my system fully running. I've attached my full Clover directory with all the drivers and kexts in case it will help anyone else that comes across this thread.

Spike sorry, are the files you posted related to Ultra Gaming and Skylake or different? In your profile look different...

No, despite all my efforts, sleep is still not working properly :(

Thanks for the info.
But how did you solve shutdown issue that restarts instead of shutting down?

Also, did you use HW Monitor to manage fans? I've tried but every time I set something for one fan OS X keeps asking me to confirm and install Helper??? If I've to set up a curve with 4 control points for each fan
it's very annoying...
Why that?

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 15.17.12.png

Just want to say a huge thanks for providing this. Between your instructions and the scripts you mention I was able to get my system fully running.

Thanks. Just to say the upgrade to High Sierra went smoothly on this rig. Had to delete the OsxAptioFixDrv, just use OsxAptioFixDrv2, and include apfs.efi in the drivers64UEFI and update to latest Clover and NVidia Web Drivers. No other changes.

Hi gphb and thanks for your guide!

Just one question:. does it work with El Capitan? And more precisely, can I use the scripts you suggest to solve the problem I have with Restart and Sleep? Or I can just use your DSDT files, as I have same configuration as yours?

Thanks!

P.S.
I'll stay with 10.11 as Sierra or later gave me problems with java, sw download not authorized, and so on... do not like all of this new dummy's proof rules that Apple came out with.

Just to thank all for providing amazing guides here, I successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.0 (17A405) with APFS on this Silverlake board.

Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
Graphics: Nvidia 950 GTX
Processor: i7 6700
SSD: X400 256 GB x2, NVMe Samsung 950 Pro
Bluetooth: IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)
Sound: Onboard Realtek ALC 892
LAN: Onboard Intel i219 GbE LAN
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit
Working iMessage, USB 3.0, Audio, Bluetooth 4 including BLE, Graphics acceleration with Metal, full memory banks using XMP profile, GbE LAN, Sleep/Wake, etc.
Not working: Serial port (disabled)

9/17/2016 updates
Removed nvda_drv=1 from clover boot switches, removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from Clover drivers and replaced with new SystemParameters--NvidiaWeb(setting true) in Clover 3751. Confirmed working. Thanks! @zlei

1/20/2017 updates
Updated for BIOS F21, Sierra 10.12.2, Clover 2.3 r3974
Added back
nvda_drv=1 from clover boot switches, added back EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to Clover drivers
Added AAPL,GfxYTile to fix HD530 glitch
Ticked KernelPm even with Skylake not Haswell processor for BIOS f21+
Set Intel HD530 memory size to 96Mb in BIOS

4/18/2017 updates
Updated for Sierra 10.12.4, Clover 2.4 r4045
Use NVidia driver 378.05.05.05f01 or later
Use Clover 2.4r4045 or later

10/16/2017 updates
Updated for High Sierra 10.13 Clover 2.4 4243
Use NVidia driver 378.10.10.10.15.117 or later
Use Clover 2.4r4243 or later

Comments:
It's a really nice Silverlake board, ultra caps etc., nice LEDs, NVMe in both M.2 and U.2 interfaces. Highly recommended. Similar Z270 boards now available though [2017]

Installation notes:

PRE-REQUISITES
Clover 2.4r4243 or later
Clover Configurator
USB-SSDT script to generate USB SSDT. (USBInjectAll also worked but was limited in USB 3 usage)
ssdtPRGen script to generate CPU SSDT
(optional) IOJones or Apple equivalent
Nvidia WebDriver 378.10.10.10.15.117 or later (supports Maxwell and Pascal cards)
Latest AppleALC release from Github vit9696/AppleALC
EFI Mounter v3 (optional)
AGDPfix (now working instead of patched PLISTs as in original post; kext patching in Sierra 10.2.4 did not work for me)

BIOS
- minimum F5a (beta) bios as F4 did not pick up DDR4 XMP profile, now tested and running on F21
- do a burn in test of the memory first as it seems from Amazon reviews that some of the DDR4 sticks have a higher initial failure rates; not related to this board or Sierra install, but wasted a day to find that large files were not being read properly, but small files worked fine
- Use Profile1 for Memory XMP
- Disable Intel VT-D
- Disable CSM Support
- Disable serial port
- Enable XHCI Hand-Off
- UEFI boot only (have Sierra and Windows 10 Anniversary installed successfully)
- Set Integrated Graphics allocated memory to 96Mb (less than this causes kernel panic if using onboard HD530; no need to adjust max)

CLOVER CONFIG
DSDT Patches: Rename HDAS
Boot switches: kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0
Inject: (false or do not select Intel unless HD530 wanted; false for Nvidia, false for ATI )
Kexts to patch: External icons patch (RXh0ZXJuYWw= to SW50ZXJuYWw= in AppleAHCIPort)
Kexts to patch: Skylake APIC Patch (wegQD7bw to vhcAAACQ in AppleAPIC)
Kexts to patch: AppleHDA Resources (eG1sLnps to em1sLnps in AppleHDA)
SIP disable: RtVariables CsrActiveConfig 0x77 or 0x67 (latter is documented version, both seem to work)
SMBIOS: iMac17,1 (Skylake support!) with SerialNumber, SmUUID and BoardSerialNumber per iMessage guides

CLOVER 64 BIT UEFI DRIVERS (/drivers64UEFI)
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv2-64.efi [10/2017 avoid v1 as while it worked fine on Sierra it gave "OsxAptioFixDrv: Error - requested memory exceeds out allocated relocation block" on High Sierra)
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi [4/2017 Sierra 10.12.2: added back as NvidiaWeb System Param no longer worked]
APFS.efi [10/2017 added for High Sierra]
Note: Later clover releases added more UEFI drivers to enable FileVault 2 but these are not essential (or tested in this guide)

CLOVER KEXTS (kexts/Other, delete all the other 10.11 10.10 10.x directories)
AppleALC.kext (from vit9696/AppleALC)
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext. (required for Skylake)
IntelMausiEhternet.kext (makes onboard GBLan work with zero extra configuration)
Shiki.kext. (apparently needed for QuickTime/iTunes DRM)

CLOVER ACPI PATCHES (place aml in /ACPI/patched)
USB-SSDT generated by USB-SSDT script (see other guides) for front panel USB3/2 HS01 SS01 HS02 SS02 and rear panel USB3/2 HS03 SS03 HS04 SS04 HS05 SS05 HS06 SS06 and rear panel USB2 HS13 HS14
ssdt.aml generated by Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen script for 6700

CLOVER AUDIO INJECTION (use text editor not Clover Configurator to get integer 1 in config.plist)
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>

CLOVER NVIDIA WEB INJECTION (added with Clover 2.3 3751 but not doing anything with 10.12.2 beta NVidia driver)
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>

NVIDIA WEB DRIVERS
Use and install latest drivers for Sierra

Installation issues/solutions with Nvidia drivers:
- When first installing, make sure nv_disable=1 any time you get a black screen and fix AGDP per below
- Had to (re)install Clover RC scripts on target macOS volume and make sure have the (new) SystemParameters -- NvidiaWeb setting above to persist NVRAM and hence get the use "Nvidia Web Driver" to stick between reboots; if this does not work then add EmuVariableUefi (downloadable in Clover Configurator) AND nvda_drv=1 to boot section of Clover config
- AGDPfix alone now works for me on Sierra 10.12.2 and later, High Sierra 10.13.0 and later and iMac 17,1. Kext patching via Clover (Problem 4 Method 3 did not work for me). If AGDPfix doesnt do it, just manually edit
sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and changed Config2 to none for the iMac board id B809C3757DA9BB8D (check SMBios in clover for which one you are using),
then ran
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

AUDIO
Works out of box for Realtek line out; not tested: use Toledo script for HDMI audio

CLOVER CONFIGURATOR. / EFI MOUNTER V3
THE EFI mounting didn't work reliably so I used EFI Mounter v3

ON BOARD GRAPHICS
I did get HD 530 working first too just by using iMac 17,1
Make sure to add the following to the Devices section of the Clover config plist to get rid of the menu glitch:
<key>AddProperties</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Device</key>
<string>IntelGFX</string>
<key>Key</key>
<string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
<key>Value</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</array>

ALTERNATE GRAPHICS CONSIDERED
GTX 1060 was a nice card, and worked on this rig in VESA mode, but way too slow and the web driver for this chip not out yet. [UPDATE: MARCH 2017: Pascal drivers now available; same driver but not yet tested on Pascal by me) Decided to downgrade to older but still power efficient GTX 950 which is running smooth and sufficient for high end workstation use. Considered Radeon RX 460/470 have positive installation reviews, but have to be booted blind (with onboard graphics enabled) which sounds like a pain in multi-boot situation

WINDOWS 10 DUAL BOOT
I installed Windows 10 Creators Update on a separate drive (actually the speedier NVMe drive) and dual boot using Clover; both run crazy smooth on this rig. I chose not to put macOS on the NVMe drive as while the drivers exist fine, they are specific to OS and so upgrading to OS 10.14 will be a pain if driver not immediately available.

INSTALLATION USB
I used a generic special edition Clover to make the initial USB for first install. Since I've never used Clover before, preferred to see what's under the hood vs using Uni or Multi. Once I had Clover installed on an EFI partition, I just use a vanilla OS X install USB that also works on my genuine Macs. We've come a long way since Chameleon.

POST INSTALL CLEANUP (delete Recovery Partition and turn on Trim Support)
diskutil list
diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ Blank /dev/disk?s?
diskutil mergePartitions HFS+ OSX disk?s(?-1) disk?s?
sudo trimforce enable

Install time ~20 minutes on this rig with fully configured EFI Clover volume. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back