Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] SilverLake Sierra GM GA-170X-Ultra Gaming Nvidia 950GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
that would be perfect if you could do that :)
I have been waiting for that for a really long time as then I wouldn't need to use USBinjectall instead enabling only the ports I need
love your work

Okay, please test this one: https://github.com/cnrd/OSX-USB-SSDT/archive/master.zip

Currently it just ask for all ports (HS01-HS14 and SS01-SS10). Also please read the questions asked in the script :-D

I haven't gotten around to actually letting guide creators configure which ports it should ask for, so right now it is just a generic script.

This new version will only create ONE file called USB-SSDT.aml on your desktop, if you have used my script earlier and have an SSDT-5.aml in your Clover folder, please delete that (And replace your current USB-SSDT.aml).

EDIT: I have created a new post for the script: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/native-usb-2-0-usb-3-0-on-skylake.202787/, so use that and keep this post on topic :)

Last edited:
I have exactly the same config of you but it's not working.

When I try to install, it restart... I used the same files and even your config.plist... Getting crazy here :(

CLOVER CONFIG
DSDT Patches: Rename HDAS to HDEF

I downloaded the supplied config.plist file and noticed that this patch doesn't do what the comment says -- it renames PEGP to GFX0

CLOVER CONFIG
SIP disable: RtVariables CsrActiveConfig 0x77

At first I thought this was just a typo, but that same value exists in the supplied plist file.

According to this page (https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/RtVariables#rtvariables_csractiveconfig) there are only three possible values for CsrActiveConfig: 0x0 = enabled, 0x3 = partially disabled, and 0x67 completely disabled. I'm surprised this worked -- is it a hidden value, or just a typo that just happened to not break things?

Refreshed this post to reflect successful clean re-installation of Sierra 10.12.2 and upgrade of BIOS to F21 on this same rig. Both had breaking issues, so thought I would share the small but critical changes.
  • Most importantly, need to now tick KernelPm even with Skylake not Haswell processor, appararently for BIOS versions >20.
  • Intel HD530 now working without glitches in parallel to NVidia, with the AAPL,GfxYTile device update, and setting the initial allocation of memory in BIOS to 96Mb
  • At least with current beta drivers from NVidia I lost the NVRAM persistence of the driver and had to add back nvda_drv=1 from clover boot switches, and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to Clover drivers
In response to other questions: CsrActiveConfig is documented at 0x67 for some reason some guides give 0x77 they both seem to disable SIP

Attachments

• Config.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 126
Hi,

thank You for this guide. At the moment I am trying to get to work a Hackintosh with the same board and CPU, but as my knowledge about hackintoshing is very limited, I am not successful. I had a working hackintosh with Chimera / Yosemite, but my Motherboard died and I had to buy new parts and go to Sierra ...

I succeeded in installing Sierra with the Unibeast stick but as soon I ran Multibeast, I wasn´t able to boot.

Than I tried to upgrade the MB firmware as You suggested and I am even more in trouble, as I can´t boot even the Unibeast stick. I tried downgrading from the latest firmware step by step and now I´m at version 20 and still nothing ...

I would appreciate very much any help. I see You were able to make Your rig running in 20mins. which is admirable. I spent the whole day with it and with no result.

It´s a pitty that from the installation guide it seems to be super-simple and in reality it is not in any way ...

Many thanks!

Just to thank all for providing amazing guides here, I successfully installed Sierra 10.2.2 on this Silverlake board.

Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
Graphics: Nvidia 950 GTX
Processor: i7 6700
SSD: X400 256 GB x2, NVMe Samsung 950 Pro
Bluetooth: IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)
Sound: Onboard Realtek ALC 892
LAN: Onboard Intel i219 GbE LAN
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit
Working iMessage, USB 3.0, Audio, Bluetooth 4 including BLE, Graphics acceleration with Metal, full memory banks using XMP profile, GbE LAN, Sleep/Wake, etc.
Not working: Serial port (disabled)

9/17/2016 updates
Removed nvda_drv=1 from clover boot switches, removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from Clover drivers and replaced with new SystemParameters--NvidiaWeb(setting true) in Clover 3751. Confirmed working. Thanks! @zlei

1/20/2017 updates
Updated for BIOS F21, Sierra 10.12.2, Clover 2.3 r3974
Added back
nvda_drv=1 from clover boot switches, added back EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to Clover drivers
Added AAPL,GfxYTile to fix HD530 glitch
Ticked KernelPm even with Skylake not Haswell processor for BIOS f21+
Set Intel HD530 memory size to 96Mb in BIOS

Comments:
It's a really nice Silverlake board (new in 2016), ultra caps etc., nice LEDs, NVMe in both M.2 and U.2 interfaces. Highly recommended even though few reviews yet on this board. Similar Z270 boards now available though [2017]

Installation notes:

PRE-REQUISITES
Clover 2.3 r3974 or later
Clover Configurator
USB-SSDT script to generate USB SSDT. (USBInjectAll also worked but was limited in USB 3 usage)
ssdtPRGen script to generate CPU SSDT
(optional) IOJones or Apple equivalent
Nvidia WebDriver 367.15.10.25f02 or later
Latest AppleALC release from Github vit9696/AppleALC
EFI Mounter v3 (optional)
AGDPfix (now working instead of patched PLISTs as in original post)

BIOS
- minimum F5a (beta) bios as F4 did not pick up DDR4 XMP profile, now tested and running on F21
- do a burn in test of the memory first as it seems from Amazon reviews that some of the DDR4 sticks have a higher initial failure rates; not related to this board or Sierra install, but wasted a day to find that large files were not being read properly, but small files worked fine
- Use Profile1 for Memory XMP
- Disable Intel VT-D
- Disable CSM Support
- Disable serial port
- Enable XHCI Hand-Off
- UEFI boot only (have Sierra and Windows 10 Anniversary installed successfully)
- Set Integrated Graphics allocated memory to 96Mb (less than this causes kernel panic if using onboard HD530; no need to adjust max)

CLOVER CONFIG
DSDT Patches: Rename HDAS
Boot switches: kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0
Inject: (false or do not select Intel unless HD530 wanted; false for Nvidia, false for ATI )
Kexts to patch: External icons patch (RXh0ZXJuYWw= to SW50ZXJuYWw= in AppleAHCIPort)
Kexts to patch: Skylake APIC Patch (wegQD7bw to vhcAAACQ in AppleAPIC)
Kexts to patch: AppleHDA Resources (eG1sLnps to em1sLnps in AppleHDA)
SIP disable: RtVariables CsrActiveConfig 0x77 or 0x67 (latter is documented version, both seem to work)
SMBIOS: iMac17,1 (Skylake support!) with SerialNumber, SmUUID and BoardSerialNumber per iMessage guides

CLOVER 64 BIT UEFI DRIVERS (/drivers64UEFI)
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (avoid v2 as it gave lower performance on my disk performance test)
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi [2017 Sierra 10.12.2: added back as NvidiaWeb System Param no longer worked]
Note: Latest clover adds more UEFI drivers to enable FileVault 2 but these are not essential (or tested in this guide)

CLOVER KEXTS (kexts/Other, delete all the other 10.11 10.10 10.x directories)
AppleALC.kext (from vit9696/AppleALC)
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext. (required for Skylake)
IntelMausiEhternet.kext (makes onboard GBLan work with zero extra configuration)
Shiki.kext. (apparently needed for QuickTime/iTunes DRM)

CLOVER ACPI PATCHES (place aml in /ACPI/patched)
USB-SSDT generated by USB-SSDT script (see other guides) for front panel USB3/2 HS01 SS01 HS02 SS02 and rear panel USB3/2 HS03 SS03 HS04 SS04 HS05 SS05 HS06 SS06 and rear panel USB2 HS13 HS14
ssdt.aml generated by Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen script for 6700

CLOVER AUDIO INJECTION (use text editor not Clover Configurator to get integer 1 in config.plist)
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>

CLOVER NVIDIA WEB INJECTION (added with Clover 2.3 3751 but not doing anything with 10.12.2 beta NVidia driver)
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>

NVIDIA WEB DRIVERS
Use and install latest drivers for Sierra

Installation issues/solutions with Nvidia drivers:
- When first installing, make sure nv_disable=1 any time you get a black screen and fix AGDP per below
- Had to (re)install Clover RC scripts on target macOS volume and make sure have the (new) SystemParameters -- NvidiaWeb setting above to persist NVRAM and hence get the use "Nvidia Web Driver" to stick between reboots; if this does not work then add EmuVariableUefi (downloadable in Clover Configurator) AND nvda_drv=1 to boot section of Clover config
- AGDPfix alone now works for me on Sierra 10.12.2 and iMac 17,1. If not, just manually edit
sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and changed Config2 to none for the iMac board id B809C3757DA9BB8D (check SMBios in clover for which one you are using),
then ran
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

AUDIO
Works out of box for Realtek line out; not tested: use Toledo script for HDMI audio

CLOVER CONFIGURATOR. / EFI MOUNTER V3
THE EFI mounting didn't work reliably so I used EFI Mounter v3

ON BOARD GRAPHICS
I did get HD 530 working first too just by using iMac 17,1
Make sure to add the following to the Devices section of the Clover config plist to get rid of the menu glitch:
<key>AddProperties</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Device</key>
<string>IntelGFX</string>
<key>Key</key>
<string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
<key>Value</key>
<data>
AQAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</array>

ALTERNATE GRAPHICS CONSIDERED
GTX 1060 was a nice card, and worked on this rig in VESA mode, but way too slow and the web driver for this chip not out yet. Decided to downgrade to older but still power efficient GTX 950 which is running smooth and sufficient for high end workstation use. Considered Radeon RX 460/470 have positive installation reviews, but have to be booted blind (with onboard graphics enabled) which sounds like a pain in multi-boot situation

WINDOWS 10 DUAL BOOT
I installed Windows 10 Anniversary Edition on a separate drive (actually the speedier NVMe drive) and dual boot using Clover; both run crazy smooth on this rig. I chose not to put macOS on the NVMe drive as while the drivers exist fine, they are specific to OS and so upgrading to OS 10.13 will be a pain if driver not immediately available.

INSTALLATION USB
I used a generic special edition Clover to make the initial USB for first install. Since I've never used Clover before, preferred to see what's under the hood vs using Uni or Multi. Once I had Clover installed on an EFI partition, I just use a vanilla OS X install USB that also works on my genuine Macs. We've come a long way since Chameleon.

POST INSTALL CLEANUP (delete Recovery Partition and turn on Trim Support)
diskutil list
diskutil eraseVolume HFS+ Blank /dev/disk?s?
diskutil mergePartitions HFS+ OSX disk?s(?-1) disk?s?
sudo trimforce enable

Install time ~20 minutes on this rig with fully configured EFI Clover volume.

Hi,

thank You for this guide. At the moment I am trying to get to work a Hackintosh with the same board and CPU, but as my knowledge about hackintoshing is very limited, I am not successful. I had a working hackintosh with Chimera / Yosemite, but my Motherboard died and I had to buy new parts and go to Sierra ...

I succeeded in installing Sierra with the Unibeast stick but as soon I ran Multibeast, I wasn´t able to boot.

Than I tried to upgrade the MB firmware as You suggested and I am even more in trouble, as I can´t boot even the Unibeast stick. I tried downgrading from the latest firmware step by step and now I´m at version 20 and still nothing ...

I would appreciate very much any help. I see You were able to make Your rig running in 20mins. which is admirable. I spent the whole day with it and with no result.

It´s a pitty that from the installation guide it seems to be super-simple and in reality it is not in any way ...

Many thanks!

Sorry you are having trouble getting this installed. There are so many good guides on here that this post was more meant to be the various configuration and files needed for this board, vs a step by step guide. It was intended to serve as a confirmation that this board does in fact work quite well, to thank those that create all the really good guides, and to provide a repository for the files for both me and others in case of reinstall.

Just to be clearer, I didnt use unibest or multibeast at all, I just did a native Clover install. If you can get unibeast to boot up Sierra then you are closer than it might feel. Before rebooting you'd install Clover Configurator and install the settings listed in this post at the top (or the attached zip files above). Again you are probably better off following a step by step guide for another Gigabyte Z170X-based motherboard but wherever a setting is mentioned just check it against the first post in this thread to see if a different setting is required for this motherboard.

I will take a look to see if I can find a suitable guide that would be a better base.

Sorry you are having trouble getting this installed. There are so many good guides on here that this post was more meant to be the various configuration and files needed for this board, vs a step by step guide. It was intended to serve as a confirmation that this board does in fact work quite well, to thank those that create all the really good guides, and to provide a repository for the files for both me and others in case of reinstall.

Just to be clearer, I didnt use unibest or multibeast at all, I just did a native Clover install. If you can get unibeast to boot up Sierra then you are closer than it might feel. Before rebooting you'd install Clover Configurator and install the settings listed in this post at the top (or the attached zip files above). Again you are probably better off following a step by step guide for another Gigabyte Z170X-based motherboard but wherever a setting is mentioned just check it against the first post in this thread to see if a different setting is required for this motherboard.

I will take a look to see if I can find a suitable guide that would be a better base.

Hi, thanks for Your reply. I actually found a way to overcome the problem - to check "PatchAPIC" and "Kernel PM Patch" in Clover. Than I used Your config. Since than the Hackintosh started to work perfectly ... but ...

Now my system stopped seeing my startup SSD drive. Sometimes it appears as Generic Storage Device 0576. Now I´m in trouble again. Even worse than before. My backup doesn´t start either, as I forgot to copy the EFI partition and with my version of Clover, which I have on USB stick, I can´t get it to boot ...

Update: I hooked the SSD disk to an USB3 adapter and it boots fine ... very weird ... this probably means that the problem is not in the EFI partition ... but where?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back