<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>

Unfortunately though, the OSX About This Mac will not read above 4.3Ghz

My goal is 4.8 Stable.

Ive been editing 4K AE files with 50+ layers and not one crash or overheating
@abc123kazu
That's what I like to read! Congratulations! I am still not sure which socket i should go for (if the 4770 will be fast enough for heavy (2k) video editing in première and Afx?) But you think it is ? It is more easy to build right?
And you have your THunderbolt working correctly?
Please keep me updated (also if something doesn't appear to be working or if it does crash ;-)

First this i did was make sure the CPU was stable, with memory clocked at all regular speeds.
Also note that the original timing on my RAM is 10-10-10-27.
Im very conservative when it comes to testing step by step so it's always easier for me to find problems so you will be doing tons of rebooting.
Very first thing was to turn on XMP. Profile 1. make sure none of those automatic boosting settings are on as they kind of override all manual changes you may make.
Try rebooting.
Then i simply booted the multiplier to 18.66
putting stability aside see if it boots.
Then i changed the

CAS Latency to 10
tRCD to 10
tRP to 10
tRAS to 27
CPU System Agent Voltage to +.250V
CPU I/O Analog Voltage to +0.250V
CPU I/O Digital Voltage to +0.250V

Reboot.
Then do a memory torture test.
i ran without errors for roughly 4 hours.
Since this wasn't the final, i didn't bother doing a full run but was convinced i'll be stable.

Then i clocked the multiplier up to 2133Mhz.
Ran Prime95 Torture test for 5+ hours with no errors
and computer temperatures all stayed under 45.

I tried clocking up to 2666Mhz, then i had that error of OSX not booting.
so i went back to 2133Mhz and stuck with it.

Ive been editing 4K AE files with 50+ layers and not one crash or overheating yet so it's safe to say it's reliable.
(though I've only had the build and ran it for a week)
But like CPU's kinda they're not all the same...
give it a try and let me know how it goes.
The important thing is patience..... and testing..... countless rebooting....

Thanks a lot abc123kazu!

As soon as I want to change the memory multiplier it won't boot.
I don't know why. I've even loaded the default settings and only change the multiplier : won't boot.
I must be missing something.
Memory is exactly the same as yours.
Maybe you could try to send me your settings by using the "save custom settings" from the bios?

Hey tommyhollander,

i went for 4770K because i've been satisfied with 2600k and 3770k in the past.
Processor power has usually never been a problem and we have been editing 4k for 5 years now (3 on hacky's)
But i have a few questions.

What do you define "heavy 2k"? if it's 1080p dslr videos on 4:2:0 color space. you can handle that on a laptop, even if it is converted to prores.
I classify "heavy 2k" as capturing 4:2:2 uncompressed media thru like a Decklink or an AJA, then you need a fast hard drive (promise thunderbolt, fiber optic)

i've had a GTX285 i found on ebay on my first build and had no problems running premiere and fx with 2k prores converted from r3d files.
Get the absolute best video card you can afford!

i only have a thunderbolt external by G-TECH. that works fine but it's not hot swappable.

@abc123kazu
That's what I like to read! Congratulations! I am still not sure which socket i should go for (if the 4770 will be fast enough for heavy (2k) video editing in première and Afx?) But you think it is ? It is more easy to build right?
And you have your THunderbolt working correctly?
Please keep me updated (also if something doesn't appear to be working or if it does crash ;-)

That's awesome!
maybe i can save myself some money on the next build.
So i wonder what the difference is...

another note is, my machine is displaying 4.3 but it's actually running at 4.5.
When i have a little time i'd like to go 4.7-8 realm...

That's funny, but it's achievable on that motherboard without "K" Processor:
d3959ff2322b522488e3a1ae055d3fcd1803ec06.png

I believe so. But i don't use this as a personal computer. It's in our office and is running all day so we're fine with it.

Does disabling all the power saving and Turbo will prevent the CPU from clocking down to 1.6 Ghz and thus run all the time at 4.x Ghz ?

I've read up on this on overclock site. if you load up any type of preset for boosting it overrides any manual adjustments.
Like i mentioned.
Boot into osx with XMP disabled first.
then reboot into osx with XMP profile1
then reboot into osx with multiplier increased just a little.
and work your way up one by one.
Actually in my previous z77x-UD5h build,
i had a similar problem and it was a defective motherboard.
so first i'd try some different memory. then swap that memory into a different board.

Thanks a lot abc123kazu!

As soon as I want to change the memory multiplier it won't boot.
I don't know why. I've even loaded the default settings and only change the multiplier : won't boot.
I must be missing something.
Memory is exactly the same as yours.
Maybe you could try to send me your settings by using the "save custom settings" from the bios?

Processor power has usually never been a problem
@abc123kazu
Thanks for responding
I don't t have recent hardware for comparison. I still work on a Mac pro early 2008, 2x3.0 ghz Intel xeon quad core. Gtx 8800 , ssd bootdrive, geek bench 11.000
And I need a new computer (the sooner the better) as editing 100 hours full HD AVCHD DSLR material in premiere and especially doing color correction and effects in after effects is just too damn slow.
I don't know what the exact bottleneck is, but as it is five years old , probably everything ;-)
I would go for the 6 core, but as it has hackintosh issues I wonder if the 4770k can do the job.(so I have th2)
I suppose it will have a geek bench of 15.000 for the i7 4770k and between 18-21.000 for the 4930 k. So around 1.4 till 2 times faster as my current Mac. (Though only 1.4 times faster, worries me.)

What do you define "heavy 2k"? if it's 1080p dslr videos on 4:2:0 color space. you can handle that on a laptop, even if it is converted to prores.
That is the thing: I don't want to convert 100 hours to prores.I want to edit avchd natively in premiere
Now it is just HD , but I mention 2k to have a safe margin

You say it can be done on a laptop: I sure hope so, as the MacBook pro has the same processor

Get the absolute best video card you can afford!
Which is ?
I was thinking to get the GTX 770 (as the 780 also has issues) I thought eventually to get 2 perhaps but that is not be possible with the i4770k. (And perhaps also not for the i7 4930k?)
For the rest SSD boot drive, raid /ssd/ thunderbolt disks for editing material, cache, etc
If I go for the 4770k it will be with the ud5-th or probably ud7-th. This build would only be a fraction cheaper than the 4930k so money isn't deciding here
If the 4770k will be fast enough I'll take it

PLEASE tell me what you think THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back