Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Overclocked GA-Z87X-UD5 TH - Core i7-4770K - GTX770

Status
Not open for further replies.
@abc123kazu
MANY MANY thanks! This helps a lot. Also the fact you used multiple core Macs pro's as well and can compare the hackintosh with that 'real' stuff (and use it for professional use as well). I just had the feeling the i7 4770k is really more for a consumer/ hobbyist. But apparently you also prefer the 4-core instead of the 6-core (probably because of the 6-core hackintosh issues, as no sleep, power, no Thunderbolt)

I didn't hear of optic fiber HDD's before, but I suppose that is the VelociRaptor in your list. I will look in to it, but was thinking of normal disks 7200 in a raid0, or even a 2 extra 500 gb SSD drives for media/ cache,
but perhaps an external thunderbolt drive could be even faster.

Your build is succesfull, right, so why it isn't it in the goldenbuilds? I probably will go for the UD7-TH, but prefer not to be the first one...

I just read the post again, and I am sorry to go off topic so much. If you want I can delete my messages
Thanks again!

I have 2 2009 mac pro at the office (2x2,26 xeon).
I meanly work on After Effects.
I bought that hack because I believe that AE really likes a small amounts of really speedy core since it does not really like multi processing.
When i first ran Geekbench, I was a bit disappointed: the hack performed 10% higher compare to the old macpro.
But then a start working with AE, and the difference is just huge. Scenes rendered around 2 or 3 times faster then the mac pro.
So I think it's a pretty good choice!
Cons are when I see how abc123kazu pushed the OC at such a level, I'm a bit frustrated. :lol::D

I have 2 2009 mac pro at the office (2x2,26 xeon). I meanly work on After Effects.

I bought that hack because I believe that AE really likes a small amounts of really speedy core since it does not really like multi processing. When i first ran Geekbench, I was a bit disappointed: the hack performed 10% higher compare to the old macpro. But then a start working with AE, and the difference is just huge. Scenes rendered around 2 or 3 times faster then the mac pro. So I think it's a pretty good choice!

THAT's what I'd like to hear! Is the 'playback' speed of HD AVCHD in PR/AE also 'good' (2-3 times better)?

THAT's what I'd like to hear! Is the 'playback' speed of HD AVCHD in PR/AE also 'good' (2-3 times better)?

Can't tell you, I don't work with those kind of media.
Send me some footages or demo scene and I'll benchmark that for you. :)

Can't tell you, I don't work with those kind of media.
Send me some footages or demo scene and I'll benchmark that for you. :)

@mikerinos
Perhaps sending footage is not the best way to 'check'. My Mac works as well, but it starts to get problematic when I add many more layers and effects (in several timelines/ 100 hours material). But with what sort of files do you work ?

I work mainly with graphic format, stills frames, ProRes material...
Most of the time it's only heavy AE scenes with loads of effects / 3D stuffs.

@123abckazu @mikerinos

I’m just about ordering this:

i7 4770K (3,5GHz) over clocked at 4.0- 4.3 Ghz
GA-Z87X-ud5-TH
Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x8GB DDR3 1600
MSI GTX770 Gaming 4G (€339) (OR MSI gtx 770 2GB (€294) OR Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB (€390)[/I]
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (For OSX), Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (For media cache/ previews)
Fractal Design Define R4
LG Blu-ray Writer BH16NS40
Seasonic X Platinum PSU 760W 760-XP
CPU Cooler Scythe SCMG-3PCGH Mugen 3 Rev.B PCGH

Already own: 3x3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, Lacie eSATAII (3GBS) PCI-express card (2 ports), Belkin Firewire 400, 3 port PCI Express Card

Before I do…. some last questions:

1) A computer store will build it and install Windows on a separate HDD for testing. They will overclock it a bit (around 4.3 Ghz). I will install MAC OS X myself. Is there anything they should know or should do (or shouldn't do) that makes my OS X part (as a ‘noob’) more easy?

2.) Everything will be compatible right? There are only minor differences with your setup:
I thought I would take the MSI GTX 770 4GB Gaming (But don't know for sure if that is wise for me) Any thoughts? For the rest a different cooler/ psu (suggested by the computer store) / drives.

3) Onboard Bluetooth and Wifi will work right?

4) What is the best step by step tutorial to get OSX running? (Is that this :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
together with this post?

Many THANKS

I'm not an hadware Guru so I don't know what to say :)

@123abckazu @mikerinos
1) A computer store will build it and install Windows on a separate HDD for testing. They will overclock it a bit (around 4.3 Ghz). I will install MAC OS X myself. Is there anything they should know or should do (or shouldn't do) that makes my OS X part (as a ‘noob’) more easy?

I've paid someone to install the hack part (and honestly, I regret simply because I think I could have done this myself).

@123abckazu @mikerinos

2.) Everything will be compatible right? There are only minor differences with your setup:
I thought I would take the MSI GTX 770 4GB Gaming (But don't know for sure if that is wise for me) Any thoughts? For the rest a different cooler/ psu (suggested by the computer store) / drives.
Many THANKS

The guy from the shop told me that ASUS graphic card were better because of the cooling system.

@123abckazu @mikerinos

3) Onboard Bluetooth and Wifi will work right?

Many THANKS

I don't use bluetooth/wifi on those computer so... But I think I've seen something to make it work on osx with that mobo.

Hope it helps.... ahahah

@123abckazu

Got the it working at 4.5Ghz.
Geekbench gave me 3737 / 15312
Pretty low compared to what you get. I believe this came from the memory multiplier that is sticked to 16?
What do you think?

This is what we're using

http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_series.aspx?region=en-global&m=192&rsn1=40&rsn3=27

It's a 4Gb Fiber Optic San Harddrive enclosure.

In the past we used to use Apple XServe RAID also. But those are now too slow for 4:2:2 uncompressed even at 1080i

@abc123kazu

I didn't hear of optic fiber HDD's before, but I suppose that is the VelociRaptor in your list. I will look in to it, but was thinking of normal disks 7200 in a raid0, or even a 2 extra 500 gb SSD drives for media/ cache,
but perhaps an external thunderbolt drive could be even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back