Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 High Sierra 10.13 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply
sell & buy a 5820k.
I did consider it prior to build, what made me go this way was the possibility of upgrading the memory over 64gb, but i dont see those dimms become cheaper anytime soon ;)
I just did a 4k 4 cam multicam and it holded tightly also thanks to HighSierra Nvme :headbang: but once it sees too many cut edits it will start stalling while previewing and output.

I fixed the temps thingy by adding one extra PCI cable to PSU. As i Had 4 HDD and 2 SSD's, GPU plus 7 fans and the h115i connected to only two cables, maybe it was overloading?... maybe? :angel: so one dedicated cable for the h115i + the extra fans, and still managed to keep the fan hub.

Rendering for 20min and hasn't gone over 62ºC

Hi @malki,

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this guide!

I am having a problem where after running the Photos app for a few minutes, my entire system freezes. I don't experience this problem using any other app, although I do see a similar problem when working with the Desktop & Screen Saver option in System Preferences. I assume it is activating the same (background?) process as Photos that is causing the freeze.

Any ideas?

I had that issue while running 10.13.1, but after updating to 13.2 it has been resolved.

I believe the issue might be CPU (5820k) related as i tested on 2 different MB (GB & MSI), 2 different Ram brands, RX vega 64 and GTX 1060, and various drive options and same result: Photos Crashing.

Tested on my old rig: 3770k gtx1060 ssd rpijaws ram and it was fine.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your reply

I did consider it prior to build, what made me go this way was the possibility of upgrading the memory over 64gb, but i dont see those dimms become cheaper anytime soon ;)
I just did a 4k 4 cam multicam and it holded tightly also thanks to HighSierra Nvme :headbang: but once it sees too many cut edits it will start stalling while previewing and output.

I fixed the temps thingy by adding one extra PCI cable to PSU. As i Had 4 HDD and 2 SSD's, GPU plus 7 fans and the h115i connected to only two cables, maybe it was overloading?... maybe? :angel: so one dedicated cable for the h115i + the extra fans, and still managed to keep the fan hub.

Rendering for 20min and hasn't gone over 62ºC

What kind of PSU are you using. That could be exactly it. If your running all that on 2 power cables. I started my build on a cheap Cooler Master 700w psu years ago. Then Bought an Evga 750w and there was a large improvement in stability with my system, less weird crashes out of nowhere. Even the mouse moved smoother accross the screen. Now that I have an Hx1000 from Corsair it's even more rock solid.

I think I'm using 3-4 cables. I have about the same amt of stuff connected. 4hdd 2ssd. Gpu. 5 fans (used to be 7 on old case). H115i. Overclocked cpu. 8 separate sticks of ddr4 ram. Optical drive and extra PCI card (Pro Tools HD card). Almost all my usb ports are being used as well. Driving my computer speakers too from the mobo. So much plugged in. No to mention Dual 4k monitors + a 1080p TV. I like to have some headroom with my psu. I could have bought 850 and been fine but i decided to go 1k watt because I may add even more!

With 4k video and Ram, I think you should be O.K with 32gb. I noticed some crashes in Adobe with 16gb (it will auto crash when u max the ram) and very glad I upgraded to 32 (still some small crashes, its unavoidable, but they are rare and data stays safe). I do a lot of editing with heavy fx with my gh5 footage (4k 10bit 422 video), i rarely see ram usage above 20-25gb. I don't do a lot of multicams though. The thing is, premiere doesn't have the best optimization, so you may experience slowdown even with the fastest system. Crazy that my Cpu is now the bottleneck since I bought my 1080ti and my ram upgrade. Also since I don't shoot raw or highly uncompressed footage, my 7200rpm hdd drives seem ok, only about 40% usage! If you run 64gb ram, a better match would be the new intel 10 cores .

I had that issue while running 10.13.1, but after updating to 13.2 it has been resolved.

I believe the issue might be CPU (5820k) related as i tested on 2 different MB (GB & MSI), 2 different Ram brands, RX vega 64 and GTX 1060, and various drive options and same result: Photos Crashing.

Tested on my old rig: 3770k gtx1060 ssd rpijaws ram and it was fine.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for input. I might upgrade to 13.2 this weekend

Thanks Malki!

Thank you glad my guide is helping

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for input. I might upgrade to 13.2 this weekend

Well after I wrote this saw another user having same issue with Photos in 13.2 & 13.3 but not previously in 13.1, so I don't know what to think of it anymore.

@malki I have exact same MOBO and CPU with a GTX 1080 I am getting the black screen issue and have tried all the fixes, Lilu and Fix Kexts the Fix app and no luck Im guessing you didn't have this challenge or have any suggestions?

Thanks for the guide, I followed this and got my X99-UD4 5930K titanX rig up to high sierra. Everything been working fine except I notice my headphone out volume level have gone down a lot compared to where it used to be in Yosemite. Is there something I can do to fix it up?

thanksss

Well after I wrote this saw another user having same issue with Photos in 13.2 & 13.3 but not previously in 13.1, so I don't know what to think of it anymore.

wow. sorry to hear that. not sure what to think. I don't use photos app

@malki I have exact same MOBO and CPU with a GTX 1080 I am getting the black screen issue and have tried all the fixes, Lilu and Fix Kexts the Fix app and no luck Im guessing you didn't have this challenge or have any suggestions?

i use standard imac system definition from multibeast and never have that problem. That only would happen if I used mac pro (trashcan) system def.

Thanks for the guide, I followed this and got my X99-UD4 5930K titanX rig up to high sierra. Everything been working fine except I notice my headphone out volume level have gone down a lot compared to where it used to be in Yosemite. Is there something I can do to fix it up?

thanksss

try using a usb audio device.

What kind of PSU are you using.
I Have Corsair AX860i

The possibility of increasing ram is due to AE which uses most of it.

Sometimes i do have 422HQ footage from Black Magic 4k Video assist, but it hasn't shown any trouble if running on an SSD.

As i was shooting last couple of weeks i havent rendered, so guess what, today problem came back :banghead: I'll try to change the cable on the PSU connector see if that helps. It's weird 2 weeks ago this didn't happen rendering for over an hour...

Hi malki and others, I have installed everything, works great. I have USB problem that I can’t solve after hours of trying, when I do everything by the guide, my USB 3.0 devices are not working at all in 3.0 ports. 2.0 devices work, and 3.0 devices work in 2.0 ports. If I remove all the kexts from EFI>CLOVER>Kexts>10.13 they work in 3.0 ports but only as 2.0, in system report they’re under 2.0bus.

On my sierra installation enabling XHCI solved the problem, but now if I enable XHCI in bios, USB 2.0 ports (keyboard, mouse, soundcard) are off, and 3.0 devices still don’t work.

If anyone else solved USB issues somehow, please chime in, point me what could I try.

Other thing is the scaling on UHD display, I have LG 27” UHD monitor, and default for display resolution in display settings is HD. I can change to other scaled resolutions, like 2650 or 3000 something horizontally, and that should work as HiDpi mode, let’s say I set to 2650x1440 where the system fonts etc are nice and readable. Should not then UHD videos and photos then be displayed in full resolution on a full screen in actual size, like on retina displays with HiDpi mode? Because my videos or photos when set to playback actual size appear much larger that the screen set to 2650x1440, as if it was max resolution for the display. @malki, I noticed that you have LG UHD display hooked up too, when you set “default for display” what resoluton do you get? Do you choose scaled resolutions, and does it work as it should, If I understand the process at all. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back