Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 High Sierra 10.13 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your assistence Malki, this is perfect! Awesome that you’re willing to help and try to fix the issue. Within a few days I’m back from holiday and I’ll try the possible solutions you suggested right away. I will share the results! Cheers.

Great! Glad its working. Thanks for the feedback!
Thank you for your guide once again.
I have a different question regarding video editing. I don't know what kind of suite are you using to edit videos but I've noticed that using premire cc 2018 12.1.0 (186) doesn't utilise any GPU at all during playback or export. Have you experienced this problem before ? Thanks
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 06.08.56.png

Thank you for your guide once again.
I have a different question regarding video editing. I don't know what kind of suite are you using to edit videos but I've noticed that using premire cc 2018 12.1.0 (186) doesn't utilise any GPU at all during playback or export. Have you experienced this problem before ? Thanks
View attachment 348672

How can you test how much gpu usage is going on? For me, i am definitely using my gpu as when i cycle from "cuda" acceleration and change to "opencl" i get a much smoother playback. I also get much better performance on MacOs than in windows in premiere.

I still dont think the software is fully utilizing the system power sadly. My cpu usage generally stays around 30-50 percent when editing 4k with heavy fx. To where it will drop a lot of frames on playback. I feel it should playback smoother than that, so I have tried everything I can think of to get better performance.

I thought maybe upgrading cpu would fix that, so last month i bought a 10 core 6950x from ebay and popped it in. Did thorough checks in premiere on both windows and mac with this system, and amazingly real time playback was much worse when compared to the 5820k. I was shocked! I have sent back the cpu and have now settled for this being as good as it gets, for the time being.

I think adobe premiere is under optimized sadly. If you have any ideas please lmk im always looking to get better playback

I thought maybe upgrading cpu would fix that, so last month i bought a 10 core 6950x from ebay and popped it in. Did thorough checks in premiere on both windows and mac with this system, and amazingly real time playback was much worse when compared to the 5820k.
Wow. So it means that this confing supports out of the box swapping cpu to higher models, i.e. 5960x as well ?

Wow. So it means that this confing supports out of the box swapping cpu to higher models, i.e. 5960x as well ?

this motherboard does, yes. Although I could only clock it to 4.0 ghz sadly. Also playback was much worse in premiere, which is what I bought it for. It did geekbench higher though.

In order to get it boot MacOs I had to activate the cpu patches in clover settings or it would not boot. I also used voodootsync.kext and modified it for a 10 core. Had some problems getting it to boot at first. But after I got it it was working 100%.

Still, after owning it. Don't miss it at all. 5820k is still cool I think.

Do you think a Broadwell 6800k might work too?

this motherboard does, yes. Although I could only clock it to 4.0 ghz sadly. Also playback was much worse in premiere, which is what I bought it for. It did geekbench higher though.

In order to get it boot MacOs I had to activate the cpu patches in clover settings or it would not boot. I also used voodootsync.kext and modified it for a 10 core. Had some problems getting it to boot at first. But after I got it it was working 100%.

Still, after owning it. Don't miss it at all. 5820k is still cool I think.
o you

An update on my side: everything is working now!

I tried your suggestions but they didn't work out unfortunately, but I'd like to share my workaround. I tried a different more manual approach since booting the system from the Unibeast USB (without multibeast and post-installation stuff) has always worked.
Steps I took:
- Followed all installations steps from your guide up till step 7.
- Instead of using the Multibeast post-installation method, I now post-installed using the manual Clover EFI Bootloader onto the High Sierra SSD.
- I selected all available drivers from the Clover Bootloader installer, and added additional .efi drivers manually by mounting the High Sierra EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3. The ones I added manually are: "apfs.efi" , "HFSPlus-64.efi" and "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi".
- Copied the config.plist file from the Unibeast USB EFI Partition to the High Sierra SSD EFI partition.
- Copied over all kexts from the Unibeast USB and added "FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext" , "FakePCIID.kext" , "Lilu.kext" , "USBInjectAll.kext" , "WhateverGreen.kext" , "X99_Injector USB 3.kext" .

I did not install VoodooTSCSync, is it actually necessary? And if so, what's the method for manually setting it up?

System is working very well right now, and there are no boot issues anymore. For some reason, it seems like multibeast did some strange things to my system but I have no clue what that might be.

As in your build would work?

yes of course. I swapped it for a 6950x thats even better than a 6800k and in the same family. It would be the exact same process for that cpu. Although, like I said, would not reccommend upgrading from the 5820k. Only difference for the 6800k / 6950x processors you have to make sure you enable all cpu patches within clover, or it won't boot. Took me a while but I got the cpu to be 100% recognized in MacOs and reliable. Just performance in Premiere was worse, so for me it was no point. I am happy with my 5820k now.

An update on my side: everything is working now!

I tried your suggestions but they didn't work out unfortunately, but I'd like to share my workaround. I tried a different more manual approach since booting the system from the Unibeast USB (without multibeast and post-installation stuff) has always worked.
Steps I took:
- Followed all installations steps from your guide up till step 7.
- Instead of using the Multibeast post-installation method, I now post-installed using the manual Clover EFI Bootloader onto the High Sierra SSD.
- I selected all available drivers from the Clover Bootloader installer, and added additional .efi drivers manually by mounting the High Sierra EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3. The ones I added manually are: "apfs.efi" , "HFSPlus-64.efi" and "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi".
- Copied the config.plist file from the Unibeast USB EFI Partition to the High Sierra SSD EFI partition.
- Copied over all kexts from the Unibeast USB and added "FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext" , "FakePCIID.kext" , "Lilu.kext" , "USBInjectAll.kext" , "WhateverGreen.kext" , "X99_Injector USB 3.kext" .

I did not install VoodooTSCSync, is it actually necessary? And if so, what's the method for manually setting it up?

System is working very well right now, and there are no boot issues anymore. For some reason, it seems like multibeast did some strange things to my system but I have no clue what that might be.

glad its working! only difference when doing it that way, the kexts will load differently since they will be loading from clover partition. Multibeast is installing the same kexts, just to the Mac > Library > Extensions folder instead. Other than that, there is no difference. I use multibeast since its easier than gathering all the kexts 1 by 1, but if that way works then that's a good way too.

VoodooTSCSync may improve performance / power consumption of your CPU, but i don't really know. Just something I always used because I have done tests with the CPU and this kext and it worked perfectly so I never wanted to change that. I think it is a requirement for some cpus (like the 6950x) to have 100% Cpu detection, otherwise your cpu may say "unknown" when you go to "About This Mac"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back