Contribute
Register

[Success] Hugo’s Skylake Build: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5, i7-6700K, GTX 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update

Encountered a problem with the ACL1150 audio driver when trying to reinstall via MultiBeast 9.1

01/30/18 22:24:28 - Starting MultiBeast 9.1.0-20170501
01/30/18 22:25:46 - Installing 'Bootloaders > Clover v2.4k r4063 UEFI Boot Mode'
01/30/18 22:25:51 - Installing 'BootVolume'
01/30/18 22:25:51 - Mounting EFI
01/30/18 22:25:51 - Installing 'Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150'
01/30/18 22:25:52 - Install of '/private/var/folders/... [truncated] ... /MultiBeast.app/Contents/Resources/Clover-ALC1150.pkg' failed.
'installer: Package name is Clover ALC1150
installer: Certificate used to sign package is not trusted. Use -allowUntrusted to override.
'. Exiting.

• Backed up partition.
  • Downloaded and ran MultiBeast 9.2.
  • Restarted Hackintosh.
  • ALC1150 driver reinstalled. Audio working again.
This is a document problem with Sierra and High Sierra. You have run MultiBeast and choose only the Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150 in the 2nd run. Install and reboot. See the MultiBeast Announcement, Please Note's 2nd paragraph > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/multibeast-9-2-update.229691/

Not sure why re-running the audio-only portion of MultiBeast 9.1 would prove successful since the installation kept failing because of an expired certificate. As soon as I downloaded MultiBeast 9.2 and ran it (no need to select audio only), it worked first time.

Oh well, all's good now.

27 April 2019

HighSierra had been rock-solid for me but I wanted to upgrade to Mojave for development reasons and use the new Xcode 10.2 (Swift 5). I had been holding out for Mojave-compatible Nvidia drivers (for my GTX 960 card) but as of April, still no dice. So, I took the plunge and bought an AMD RX 580 per the recommended buyer's guide. I now have a faster, lower power consumption GFX card (I'm no gamer), and I no longer experience the occasional black screen glitching nor need to worry about drivers since the RX580 is natively supported.

The following is a summary of what I did. It's not an exact step-by-step guide with actual commands but more a journal of my personal experience which might be useful to others (especially the GOTCHA's).

Backed up the current EFI and High Sierra partitions to an external SSD (Can't be stressed enough, VERY IMPORTANT)

Followed the upgrade process here

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/

Downloaded latest High Sierra MultiBeast 10.4 (clover 2.4 r4630)

Loaded my previously-good MultiBeast config from High Sierra setup.

Repaired (reselected) some options which have changed
- Audio: Realtek 100/200/300 series
- Misc: Core Graphics Mixup (AKA WhateverGreen)

Saved MultiBeast settings (config_mb_10.13_20190407)
Installed MultiBeast settings. Installation seemed slower (couple of minutes) but completed.

Restarted Hackintosh. Everything okay.

Turned off Hack. Removed GTX960 card. Installed RX580 card. Hack Started okay.

Uninstalled/removed Nvidia web drivers. PC restarted okay still. New card recognized with Metal Support.

Tried Final Cut Pro. Seemed fine.

Moved all current kexts from folder <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to folder <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13.

Downloaded latest version of following kexts and placed them in folder <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder,

FakeSMC (v6.26-344) from TonyMac
Lilu (v1.3.5) from TonyMac
WhateverGreen (v1.2.7) from GitHub
CommanderCodec (v2.4) from 10.13 folder

>>> GOTCHA >>>

Removed following entry from config.plist boot menu (GUI/Hide key)

<string>install</string>

My High Sierra macOS installation didn't completely clean up and left behind this volume. this entry needs to be visible again so that the Mojave install can proceed correctly during machine restarts.

Removed obsolete kext NVWebDriverLibValFix from /Library/Extensions since no longer using Nvidia card.

IMPORTANT- In PC BIOS, disabled "Internal GFX", to make only the discrete RX580 card available. Having "Internal GFX" enabled caused the Mojave install to fail and keep restarting.

<<< GOTCHA <<<

Restarted Hack. All okay.

Downloaded Mojave (10.14.4) from AppStore.

Restarted Install OS Mojave in Applications. After PC restart, chose “Boot macOS Install from High Sierra” option from Clover menu.

Mojave installation completed. Tested apps. Some okay.

Known problems
- Audio not working (Apple Audio layout has significantly changed in Mojave).
- QuickLook Jpeg preview not working (Apple checks or integrated GPU to assist rendering)
- iTunes/Netflix not playing videos (Apple checks for integrated GPU to assist video rendering)

Downloaded, Mojave-specific MultiBeast 11.1
Loaded 'latest' MB config which was saved just before upgrade (ie config_mb_10.13_20190407).

Checked new options
- Graphics: Core Graphics Fix Up AKA WhateverGreen
- Audio: AppleALC
- Audio: 100/200/300 Series audio Support
- System Specification: iMacPro1,1

>>> GOTCHA >>>

Avoided selecting the "Clover UEFI BootMode + Emulated NVRAM"
The new clover boot loader failed miserably :( I had to boot into High Sierra on my backup SSD just to fix (restore/rewind to a working EFI partition for this Mojave setup!!!)

<<< GOTCHA <<<

Saved MultiBeast settings. Installed MultiBeast settings.

Used the following guide to fix Audio

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-realtek-audio-guide.234732/#post-1606764

DID NOT touch /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext!!!! ... since this should have already been repaired by the Mojave installation/upgrade.

Removed realtekALC.kext from /Library/Extensions

Removed extraneous entries from config.plist file under section KextsToPatch

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC...</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.9-10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
</dict>

Restarted Hack.

Success - Audio working
Success - iTunes working
Success - Netflix working Firefox (not working Safari)
Success - QuickLook Jpg preview working (iMacPro doesn't have Integrated GPU, so OS doesn't do that check)

All main software working (Logic, Final Cut Pro, Xcode 10.2, Pixelmator)
All hardware working (Bluetooth, USB, continuity)

Known problems
- DRM content in iTunes not working with RX 580 card. Shiki kext (via WhateverGreen) no longer works. :( Some forum members are claiming success with the 10.14.5 beta so fingers x'ed.

Last edited:
Hello Catalina!!! (update message from thread starter)

May 20, 2020

I've been on Mojave 10.14 for about a year now, and once again the setup had been rock solid. Not a single problem with the AMD RX 580 graphics card (it was definitely worth ditching the Nvidia card). Networking/bluetooth is fine. Audio is also fine... and iTunes DRM playback was definitely solved after upgrading to 10.14.5 in August 2019.

Once again, the following is a summary of what I did. It's not an exact step-by-step guide with actual commands but more a journal of my personal experience which might be useful to others (especially the GOTCHA's).

Before considering the transition to Catalina, I took inventory of any remaining 32bit apps. I either upgraded them
or decided to abandon them (e.g. Apple Image capture replaced Epson Scan)

Steps

IMPORTANT!!! - Backed up current EFI and Mojave partitions to external SSD.

Followed the upgrade process here

Downloaded macOS Catalina. Exited installation. Made a copy to 16GB USB key drive.

Downloaded kexts from

- TonyMac site and
- https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads/

FakeSMC v 6.22
Lilu v1.4.3
WhateverGreen v1.38
CodecCommander v2.7.1
AppleALC 1.4.8

- Moved current kexts to <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.14
- Copied the newly-downloaded kexts to <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
- Also copied these downloaded kexts to new folder <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.15

Downloaded MultiBeast 12.1 for Catalina (uses Clover 5.0 r5107)

- Read the latest changes since MB11 Mojave
- Started with my most recent Mojave config settings (config_mb_10.14._20190811)
- Got warnings for
Drivers -> Audi 100/ 200/ 300 Series Audio - selected audio with 5/6 port setting
Support (HDAS -> HDEF) - not needed
Drivers -> Misc -> FakeSMC - superseded by VirtualSMC

- Saved MultiBeast config settings to file. Installed updated config onto Mojave partition.

GOTCHA - the kexts installed by MultiBeast are slightly older than downloaded versions. I didn't bother to repair.

Restarted PC. Successful reboot.
- Tested iTunes - videos broken. Final Cut Pro still okay. YouTube still works.

Installed MacOS Catalina (about 25 mins). Upgrade completed.

DarkMode is nice :)
No sound :(

Read up on audio issues here
- https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/#post-1805653
- https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/blob/master/Resources/ALC1150/Info.plist

Used IORegistryExplorer
- Searched for HDEF. Confirmed the absence of an entry for 'alc-layout id" . Hence no sound :(

Checked the Kernel Extensions loaded into by system (kextstat).
Arrrgh!!! Older kexts (eg FakeSMC) in /Library/Extensions still in use.

Downloaded KextBeast 2.0 (it has option install kexts from desktop to /Library/Extensions)
- Replaced Apple ALC (1.3.8 -> 1.4.7). Rebooted. No change
- Replaced Lilu (1.3.6 -> 1.4.2). Replaced WhateverGreen (1.2.9 -> 1.3.7) . Rebooted...

GOTCHA ---- Argh KERNEL PANIC ---- PC kept rebooting, not reaching login prompt. I had introduced an incompatibility.

Booted into recovery mode (successfully started)
- Removed AppleALC, Lilu, Whatever, CodecCommander, FakeSMC from /Library/Extensions
- Relied on the new versions (+ VirtualSMC) installed by Multibeast in <EFI Volume>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
- Restarted machine. Working again and audio restored!

Tested iTunes, YouTube, FCP, Logic X. Xcode 11. PixelMator.

A week later, with daily usage, PC is still functioning without a hitch.

Closing note

Once again I learned something about the upgrade (especially around kernel extensions). Whenever I perform the
upgrade, it tends to be late in the OS cycle (around .3 or .4 release) so I avoid a lot of the early-adopter issues ... but a massive thanks goes out to those brave-hearts who resolve issues and post solutions on this forum. Despite that, I still find a kink during my own gauntlet run. This time it took a few hours to resolve, whereas my first troubled upgrade (Catalina to High Sierra) took days! ;-)

I can't believe this hack is still going strong 3.5 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back