Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Hackintosh will not boot with iGPU & Vega 64 GPU (running together) with Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping someone on this thread can help! My system will hang on "Start Readkernelcache" if I have iGPU enabled. For some reason Enabling "Above 4G Decoding" does not fix my boot issue. If I disable IGPU and leave "Above 4G Decoding" enabled in BIOS then my system boots fine. However, in Mojave, I've been told that I need IGPU enabled for Quicklook and Preview to work with JPEG files. It is a minor annoyance but I was wondering if anyone in this thread had any suggestions since this is the only thing not working on my Hackintosh!

My system is as follows:

Mojave 10.14.2
Intel i9-9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Designare MOBO
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (Main OS Drive)
Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB M.2 SSD

Thanks!

@NoiseCoalition I'm having the same problem. Similar specs to you. Would love to know if you find a solution. The frustrating thing is that I had it working (iGPU and dGPU)! I was testing booting from the USB boot drive (to make sure it worked in an emergency) and it seems to have messed something up.

@NoiseCoalition I'm having the same problem. Similar specs to you. Would love to know if you find a solution. The frustrating thing is that I had it working (iGPU and dGPU)! I was testing booting from the USB boot drive (to make sure it worked in an emergency) and it seems to have messed something up.

@robnlauren I seemed to have accidentally fixed it by a string of lucky events. I'd check out the thread linked below where you can backtrack through a couple pages of troubleshooting. The gist of it is that accidentally changing my BIOS to F3 allowed me to boot with IGPU Enabled.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-with-i7-9700k.266065/page-29#post-1880114

An alternative fix was leaving IGPU Disabled and using the NoVPAJpeg.kext described in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-with-i7-9700k.266065/page-28#post-1879579

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
@robnlauren I seemed to have accidentally fixed it by a string of lucky events. I'd check out the thread linked below where you can backtrack through a couple pages of troubleshooting. The gist of it is that accidentally changing my BIOS to F3 allowed me to boot with IGPU Enabled.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-with-i7-9700k.266065/page-29#post-1880114

An alternative fix was leaving IGPU Disabled and using the NoVPAJpeg.kext described in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-with-i7-9700k.266065/page-28#post-1879579

Hope that helps!

@NoiseCoalition & @robnlauren

I started the current thread, but I think another thread I started that better addresses your original question is found here and specifically starting with this post. Click here: #27

This is also a full thread link for the same thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-vega-64-nitro-in-macos-mojave-10-14.262778/

I was dealing with some bigger problems than just the Clover settings (some bent motherboard/CPU pins), but changing the ig-platform-id and a few other settings within the properties tab on the Devices page solved the original problem you described when I had it (iGPU enabled + DiscreteGPU installed system hang on "Start Readkernelcache"). It all has to do with injecting a headless ig-platform-id for the IGPU. This is how all real macs are configured, IE Displays are only connected to the DGPU and no displays are connected to the IGPU. My system is a Z270 and I think all of the same principles apply to your Z390, but you will have to find the correct ig-platform-id for your CPU. @pastrychef & @jaymonkey were invaluable in helping me figure out my issues!

These changes should also allow you to run the most recent BIOS Firmware update (if F3 is not the newest).

The thread you are on now was only addressing that addition of a ThunderBolt 3 card that caused a boot hang, and that was resolved by enabling "Above 4G Decoding."

Good luck!

@NoiseCoalition & @robnlauren

I started the current thread, but I think another thread I started that better addresses your original question is found here and specifically starting with this post. Click here: #27

This is also a full thread link for the same thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-vega-64-nitro-in-macos-mojave-10-14.262778/

I was dealing with some bigger problems than just the Clover settings (some bent motherboard/CPU pins), but changing the ig-platform-id and a few other settings within the properties tab on the Devices page solved the original problem you described when I had it (iGPU enabled + DiscreteGPU installed system hang on "Start Readkernelcache"). It all has to do with injecting a headless ig-platform-id for the IGPU. This is how all real macs are configured, IE Displays are only connected to the DGPU and no displays are connected to the IGPU. My system is a Z270 and I think all of the same principles apply to your Z390, but you will have to find the correct ig-platform-id for your CPU. @pastrychef & @jaymonkey were invaluable in helping me figure out my issues!

These changes should also allow you to run the most recent BIOS Firmware update (if F3 is not the newest).

The thread you are on now was only addressing that addition of a ThunderBolt 3 card that caused a boot hang, and that was resolved by enabling "Above 4G Decoding."

Good luck!

Also, prior to post #27, nothing in the thread was helpful to me, such as all of the Vega DSDT's that were suggested.

Great. I have not had any problems that I know of yet with my fans/temps on my Vega 64, but I will keep that tutorial in mind if I seem to have an issue. Thanks!

@patrickfogle,

As detailed in that guide the WEG & VGTab kexts do not play nicely together as they both attempt to set the Vega FrameBuffer but using different methods .... just something to keep in mind and be aware of.

Cheers
Jay

@patrickfogle,

As detailed in that guide the WEG & VGTab kexts do not play nicely together as they both attempt to set the Vega FrameBuffer but using different methods .... just something to keep in mind and be aware of.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey,

I looked in my EFI/Clover/Kexts as well as in S/E and L/S/E and I do not have the VGTab extension on my system. It seems to be fine running just WhateverGreen. Am I running things optimally if Im not using VGTab? or am I not looking in the right place?

I looked in my EFI/Clover/Kexts as well as in S/E and L/S/E and I do not have the VGTab extension on my system. It seems to be fine running just WhateverGreen. Am I running things optimally if Im not using VGTab? or am I not looking in the right place?

@patrickfogle,

It might be worth you trying the Vega Monitoring method detailed in that guide (use HWMonitorSMC2) and see what happens to your Vega die temps and Fan/Pump speed when the dGPU is under load. If everything is Ok then there is no need to do anything. On my system without Injecting the Vega Device Properties & SoftPowerPlayTable the Fan/Pump speed decreased as the die temp ramped up, which is obviously less than optimal.

You can use the VGTab utility to get the optimal performance out of your Vega 64 .. On my system i used it to increase the HBM clock speed to 1045Mhz (default is 945Mhz for all Vegas) which resulted in a healthy increase of performance, I was also able to undervolt the HBM which resulted in lower overall temps and TDP even with the HBM overclock.

Cheers
Jay

@patrickfogle,

It might be worth you trying the Vega Monitoring method detailed in that guide (use HWMonitorSMC2) and see what happens to your Vega die temps and Fan/Pump speed when the dGPU is under load. If everything is Ok then there is no need to do anything. On my system without Injecting the Vega Device Properties & SoftPowerPlayTable the Fan/Pump speed decreased as the die temp ramped up, which is obviously less than optimal.

You can use the VGTab utility to get the optimal performance out of your Vega 64 .. On my system i used it to increase the HBM clock speed to 1045Mhz (default is 945Mhz for all Vegas) which resulted in a healthy increase of performance, I was also able to undervolt the HBM which resulted in lower overall temps and TDP even with the HBM overclock.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey,

Thanks, Jay. Good to know. I will let you know how it goes for me when I have time to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back