Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is 2021, and it's a bit old, but I'm new to this Hackintosh world. I'm following your directions, and so far so good. Question - I have disconnected my SSD during this procedure, and installing Mac OS X High Sierra on an older HDD. When I have the two drives connected in the PC, the SATA settings were checked off under RAID. I removed the SSD and switched to ACHI as directed. Once I connect the SSD, will there be a conflict?

Everything went ok until I rebooted. My Dell PC said the new disk was UEFI and not legacy. I had prepared the software in Legacy mode because my other disks in the Dell are legacy. So I tried fiddling around with BIOS setup, and that didn't work. I'm going to try re-installing using UEFI mode on UniBeast and see what happens. But for the few minutes it was up and running it looked very cool. I have two disks, one SSD running Ubuntu and Windows 10, uses Grub 2.4 boot loader, and the other HDD has the Hackintosh. When booting I use F12 to select the disk, and hopefully be able to boot up. I did change the SATA configuration back to what it was "RAID" but I know it's suppose to be ACHI... would that cause an issue here?

If the sata controller was in raid mode with two drives and a Windows install then that windows partition was probably spread across both drives...

Have you tried booting windows to see if it's still intact?

Fwiw, I have a 990 running High Sierra / Mojave and legacy mode is the way to go for the bios, Clover will load and then boot the UEFI Mac partition. AHCI mode is also required as far as I can tell.

If the sata controller was in raid mode with two drives and a Windows install then that windows partition was probably spread across both drives...

Have you tried booting windows to see if it's still intact?

Fwiw, I have a 990 running High Sierra / Mojave and legacy mode is the way to go for the bios, Clover will load and then boot the UEFI Mac partition. AHCI mode is also required as far as I can tell.

I installed Windows when only the SSD drive was in the 990, so the OS should be on one drive, but I guess the SATA controller was set as RAID when this was installed. Not sure why, likely it was because of RAPID STARTING technology (that's what's indicated in the RAID line when selecting it. Now when I boot the 990 up and the SATA is not in RAID mode, Windows doesn't boot.

After the Mac OS X install/reboot, the Windows Os was "damaged" but when I went through a reboot, it repaired itself and started back up. It's working.

Now, in Windows 10 disk manager, I can see the SSD and the HDD with Mac OS X (Legacy Bios, RAID SATA)

The Win10/SSD has;
1) a 39 mb Healthy (OEM Partition)
2) a 368.06 NTFS (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition
3) a 513 MB FAT32 (Primary Partition)
4) a 97.16 Gb Healthy (Primary Partition)

I think #3 and #4 are the Ubuntu portion, and #1 maybe something to do with Samsung SSD, and #2 is Win10

The Mac OS X/HDD has
1) a 200 mb "Healthy (EFI System Partition)", EFI I'm told is same as UEFI.
2) a 465.57 Gb "Healthy (Primary Partition)"

I was thinking that's causing a problem! So maybe redo the install with the UEFI configured UniBeast software?

Then should things be magically fixed BUT still may have to select ACHI SATA mode, and UEFI boot mode to get to the MAC OS X?

Or delete the 200 mb EFI partition, repartition, and format, and re-install the Legacy Bios version?

Not sure. I'm a little disappointed because the Boot into Mac OS X looked perfect until after MultiBeast reboot, thinking I could have left it? NOT!

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I just re-mastered the USB in UEFI mode, and was going to try it, but I'll see what you suggest.

Also where does Clover come in? It was on the USB drive, but not working on my disk, maybe I need to disconnect the SSD?

I installed Clover in legacy mode so it writes a micro loader to the boot sector, which then loads clover from the efi folder in the 200 meg mac uefi partiton. Then I set the bios to boot from the Mac drive and use the Clover boot picker to load win/linux from other drives as needed.

I installed Clover in legacy mode so it writes a micro loader to the boot sector, which then loads clover from the efi folder in the 200 meg mac uefi partiton. Then I set the bios to boot from the Mac drive and use the Clover boot picker to load win/linux from other drives as needed.
Ok - if I’m to understand correctly.
During the install process from UniBeast - there’s a program called Clover which appears to Boot the PC into Mac setup mode.

so UniBeast is the software that compiles the install USB, Clover is the BOOT loader that gets installed on a small - like 200 mb partition - in my case it was an EFI (or appeared as an EFI (UEFI) partition) partition on the newly formatted and installed MAC OS X High Sierra? If so - I’m unsure why this didn’t work.

I’m going to write more later but I was thinking to change all my disks to BOOT UEFI, and ACHI in the BIOS setup then reinstall WINDOWS 10 from backup mirror, and proceed with UniBeast UEFI install - this way I can have both drives in the machine at one time and not have to toggle any bios settings.

likely I’ll nuke Ubuntu out of the Windows 10 SSD but that’s a while other story.

How do you install the Clover boot loader? That's what's missing! I figured out if I keep the USB in the drive, it loads the Clover Boot loader, and then I select the MAC OS X and it works just fine. I'd prefer to put Clover on the HDD though. thanks for advice in advance.

Ok, so I finally figured everything out and wanted to share the issues:

I didn't know to install Clover Boot Loader on the new Mac OS X drive. Must do that or use the USB to start computer or Boot into choice of Os.

Secondly, my Windows 10 disk was installed as RAID and NOT AHCI! Ugh... see below to convert without re-installing....from a different web site...

Also I formatted the new HDD differently the APFS. At first I used Mac Os journaled, and MBR, but that didn't work, so I went back to that and used GUID. Ooops....

Once that was settled, the install went as this above post described.

I can now use Clover to select operating system to boot from and I don't even have to worry about the Ubuntu partition on the Windows disk.. If I want to start that, then I'll change boot sequence back to SSD first which will force the Ubuntu Boot loader..... can't have everything.

------------

Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI​

Support Team

2021-02-21

37 Comments

in Microsoft Windows
Some systems will have the Windows operating system installed using RAID drivers including the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. SSD drives typically perform better using AHCI drivers. There is in fact a way to switch operation from either IDE / RAID to AHCI within Windows 10 without having to reinstall. Here are the steps:
  1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
  4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
  5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
  6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
  9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back