Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Yeah after a couple of restarts it worked! Speaking of restarts, have you come across any issues with your computer randomly restarting? it's happened more times than I can count as I'm working :-X Any advice is good advice, thanks :)

I had this happen one time, and it was driving me nuts. Check these:

- This one happened to me: A SATA cable was fouling on the video card fan stopping it from turning at all. The computer kept randomly rebooting, exactly as you describe.

You could also check:
- Build up of dust / fluff in the CPU / GPU heatsink fins. This causes poor air circulation and could also cause the random reboots.

Hi @jiffyslot. I checked and my demo version of Cinebench is v15.038 same as you are using, but I think you have paid for yours?
Still can't get my FPS to match yours. Might be because you are on HS 10.13.6 and I'm on Mohave where maybe the AMD drivers have been more optimized for 'Metal' rather than OpenGL, which Apple is going away from.

I ran the same test's on Windows 10 Pro (same machine) and interestingly my FPS went up but CPU went down. Cinebench also mistakenly thinks I'm was running on Windows 8... maybe they should update it!

View attachment 359110 View attachment 359112

Jim

Hi @jiffyslot and others interested in the Intel iGPU settings.

I reset my iGPU settings in the BIOS from 32GB & Max to 256GB & Max and with it Enabled. Cinebench goes from 110 to 162fps a 47% improvement.

Geekbench scores were the same as before, as I don't think it uses the iGPU in its benchmarking.

Adobe Premiere CC roughly same time as before... 2:45.55 for exporting the Sony 4K clip to [email protected] H.264.

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.37.15 am.png
Jim

Congrats. I've got Mojave on a test SSD.
Not sure now about the iGPU. FCPX isn't using GPU on export for me. Compressor keeps crashing on render. I'm going to reinstall it. High Sierra or Mojave, doesn't matter. Handbrake works great, but only hammers the CPU. Again, maybe we need to open a new thread? Hang on...

Q: Maybe this discussion should be moved to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx-580-fcpx-video-rendering-issues.235467/page-6

Last edited:
Congrats. I've got Mojave on a test SSD.
Not sure now about the iGPU. FCPX isn't using GPU on export for me. Compressor keeps crashing on render. I'm going to reinstall it. High Sierra or Mojave, doesn't matter. Handbrake works great, but only hammers the CPU. Again, maybe we need to open a new thread? Hang on...

Q: Maybe this discussion should be moved to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx-580-fcpx-video-rendering-issues.235467/page-6

@jiffyslot, most probably a good idea if we can't get it rendering for you, but it might also help others following this build, if we find the culprit if we look at a few basics first, before you take it off to that thread:

1. Does FCPX have a demo so I can try it out to see if I can replicate it? EDIT: I'm downloading this demo now.
  2. Does it crash on all resolutions and frame rates eg UHD, HD @ 30,60fps?
  3. What have you set in your BIOS for the two iGPU settings and is it on Enabled?
  4. Can you tell me what kexts you have in /Clover/Other & /L/E... you shouldn't have any 3rd party ones in /S/L/E
  5. Can you upload your config.plist, minus the serial numbers etc?
And yes, handbrake doesn't use the iGPU, but have you tried 'MacX Video Converter Pro'? It works very well and fast with my iGPU, quality of videos I'm not sure of, but it's a good test of the hardware encoding of the iGPU for what I've read.

Jim

Last edited:
IDK if there's a FCPX demo; probably. In Compressor I've only tried mp4 1080p and 480p (480p yields a black image, no discernable frames.) iGPU is enabled: 128MB-256MB. I have no 3rd party kexts in S/L/E. See below:
Here-ya-go.jpg

IDK if there's a FCPX demo; probably. In Compressor I've only tried mp4 1080p and 480p (480p yields a black image, no discernable frames.) iGPU is enabled: 128MB-256MB. I have no 3rd party kexts in S/L/E. See below:
View attachment 359484
Was in the middle of installing FCPX when power went out in street!
Hopefully I haven’t corrupted my file system. I’ll report back soon I hope!

Yes I do. My NAS takes ages after it’s shutdown improperly. Looks like a 2:30hr wait according to the power company.

Edit: @jiffyslot, power back, checked file system had one minor problem, now fixed.

Installed FCPX trial & it says my trial has expired!:banghead:

So I guess I can't check on my system for you using FCPX ATM, but I'll work on it. :shifty:

Is there any other program that misbehaves encoding video for you?

Also, do you have these set to these values in your config.plist, if not could you back up your config.plist first, then try these values?
The other post you linked to has a lot of different values for the iGPU, but this is what is recommended in this link. Make sure you are using WhateverGreen v1.2.3 and Lilu 1.2.7 v1.2.7 or later.

Also could set your BIOS iGPU values to what I have i.e. 256MB and MAX and Enabled... sorry can't recall the names so we are both on the same page. These values fixed my slow Cinebench FPS.

Jim
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 12.58.53 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.00.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.00.33 pm.png

Last edited:
Yes I do. My NAS takes ages after it’s shutdown improperly. Looks like a 2:30hr wait according to the power company.

Edit: @jiffyslot, power back, checked file system had one minor problem, now fixed.

Installed FCPX trial & it says my trial has expired!:banghead:

So I guess I can't check on my system for you using FCPX ATM, but I'll work on it. :shifty:

Is there any other program that misbehaves encoding video for you?

Also, do you have these set to these values in your config.plist, if not could you back up your config.plist first, then try these values?
The other post you linked to has a lot of different values for the iGPU, but this is what is recommended in this link. Make sure you are using WhateverGreen v1.2.3 and Lilu 1.2.7 v1.2.7 or later.

Also could set your BIOS iGPU values to what I have i.e. 256MB and MAX and Enabled... sorry can't recall the names so we are both on the same page. These values fixed my slow Cinebench FPS.

Jim
View attachment 359496

View attachment 359497

View attachment 359498

Wait, can I make these changes to a 18,3 setup? I don't have the PEGP to GFX0 stuff patch. Do I just type that one in?

Last edited:
Wait, can I make these changes to a 18,3 setup?

Hang 5, just writing a longer response ATM.

Could you upload your config.plist please for Mojave???

Back