Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Kextbeast 2 handles all of that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-2.399/

I ended up cloning from another SSD. It's working fine as an 18,3 and since it's working and the CPU is recognized as Coffee Lake, I should probably not fix it again. I think the problem with FCPX and Compressor is that they still cannot properly handle MTS/AVCHD files, even when the timeline has been rendered and exported. Something stinky is going over with it. Canon H.264 works natively without causing problems: Nothing to conform, etc. There's also this: Note the "No" under 64-bit. Surprising for 2018.

Compressor.png

Kextbeast 2 handles all of that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-2.399/

I ended up cloning from another SSD. It's working fine as an 18,3 and since it's working and the CPU is recognized as Coffee Lake, I should probably not fix it again. I think the problem with FCPX and Compressor is that they still cannot properly handle MTS/AVCHD files, even when the timeline has been rendered and exported. Something stinky is going over with it. Canon H.264 works natively without causing problems: Nothing to conform, etc. There's also this: Note the "No" under 64-bit. Surprising for 2018.

View attachment 359749

@jiffyslot, KextBeast does not fix your kernel cache. This is where you have been going wrong and possible the cause of most of your non-booting and kernel panics. all KextBeast does is place the kexts that are on your desktop in either the /L/E or /S/L/E directories and changes their file permissions.

The code that I provided to you and asked if you had run was:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

The two "touch" commands used in this context simply updates the dates associated with the files in those two directories.
the "kextcache -i /" command is a Unix BSD command. If you open up a terminal and type in "man kextcache" you will get the full use and syntax as the code block below shows.

Note the second paragraph in the DESCRIPTION. "Caution: Incorrect use of kextcache can render a volume incapable of startup."

There is a reason that I asked you if you had run the code, and that was to refresh your kernel cache, otherwise your system would be using the old cache files and or wouldn't boot or would cause other system level problems.

So it's over to you now, I have tried to get you back on track, but it's ultimately up to you to follow directions as given. I have spent a considerable time trying to fathom as to why you were having so much trouble getting your system up and running properly. I'd suggest if you want to have another go at it, that you don't use any of your old config.plists etc and follow this build guide carefully.

Jim

Code:
Last login: Tue Oct 23 16:13:13 on console
MacBook-Pro:~ jb$ man kextcache
KEXTCACHE(8)              BSD System Manager's Manual             KEXTCACHE(8)

NAME
     kextcache -- create kext cache files

SYNOPSIS
     kextcache -prelinked-kernel filename [options] [--] [kext_or_directory ...]
     kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel [options] [--] [kext_or_directory ...]
     kextcache -system-caches [options]
     kextcache -update-volume os_volume [options]

DESCRIPTION
     The kextcache program creates kext caches, which speed up kext loading operations.  It is invoked automatically as
     needed to rebuild system caches.

Caution: Incorrect use of kextcache can render a volume incapable of startup.  Installers and administrators should
     not use this program to update system kext caches.  Instead they should run touch(1) on the
     /System/Library/Extensions/ directory of the installation target volume after they have finished, which invalidates
     the existing caches and causes the system to update all necessary kext caches.  kextcache -update-volume can be used
     to wait for this process to complete.  See ``Apple Developer Technical Q&A QA1319: Installing an I/O Kit Kext Without
     Rebooting'' for information on updating kext caches on prior releases of Mac OS X.

kextcache creates several kinds of kext caches.  The first is the prelinked kernel (also known as a ``prelinkedker-
     nel''), which contains the kernel code and the essential files (info dictionary and executable) for an arbitrary set
     of kexts, with kext executables linked for their run-time locations.  A prelinked kernel speeds early system startup
     by collecting these many files in one place for the booter to locate, and by having each kext linked in place and
     ready to start as needed.  To create or update a prelinked kernel, use the -prelinked-kernel or
     -system-prelinked-kernel option.

Other kext caches collect specific data from the info dictionaries of kexts.  There are many individual caches for
     specific subsets of data; they care collectively called system info caches.  These caches are used to optimize disk
     I/O when working with kexts during late system startup and beyond.  To update the system kext info caches for the
     root volume, use the -system-caches option.

PRIMARY OPTIONS
     You must specify one of these options to have kextcache do anything:
:

Just want to say what a great help this thread has been for me! before I saw this thread, my buddy and I had the same idea to build an almost exact machine, it's crazy how similar it is. so I took on the crazy challenge, and start working on the software install, it literally took me about 2-3 days to figure out. ( I used to be a pc tech, but like 15 years ago, so it has been a long time since I done anything remotely on pc lol ) so there were a lot of learning curve as I go. I do have to admit, building a pc now a day its so much easier than ever before. well, after doing a lot of research from this thread and also 2 other sources. I kind of gunho and went straight to fresh install of Mojave. and crazy enough I was able to get it done and using multiple Kext update and jack around here and there. this thing is running smooth as hell! it geek bench at 6334/29230 and not overclocking yet. now the only challenge I have now, is that I want to add bluetooth/wifi, just wondering what's everyone using on their parts?

Im also planning to do more test on the Final Cut and premiere as well.

IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0784.jpeg

So, I have this (pretty much) exact build. Can someone point me to a list of procedures for upgrading to the latest/greatest macOS?? (I'm currently rocking High Sierra without issue)

Being fairly new to Hackintoshes, I'd be grateful for [even] a general guide on how to do software/OS upgrades. I was able to follow this guide without issue...but want to get to the latest/greatest macOS.

Being fairly new to Hackintoshes, I'd be grateful for [even] a general guide on how to do software/OS upgrades. I was able to follow this guide without issue...but want to get to the latest/greatest macOS.
1st thing to do is clone your working install of HS to another drive before attempting any macOS software upgrade to a new version. That way you can either test it on the cloned drive or revert back to that if anything goes wrong when upgrading your primary system drive.

1st thing to do is clone your working install of HS to another drive before attempting any macOS software upgrade to a new version. That way you can either test it on the cloned drive or revert back to that if anything goes wrong when upgrading your primary system drive.
So, What is the SECOND step??

So, What is the SECOND step??

Ideally, if MultiBeast for Mojave was out, you would update Clover to a more current version by running that. You can also do that manually. If others with the same hardware have done an in place upgrade you should check with them which version has worked well and which ones don't. Which selections in Clover are required etc. Then you would also update essential kexts to the newest versions. These are the ones that you have installed, mostly to /L/E and maybe a few to the kexts/other folder on the EFI partition. After that you can go to the Mac App Store updates section and then run the Mojave update from there.

So I'd expect that some others with the same hardware as you will chime in here to give you some more specifics as to what is best to do when updating the Hack a Shaq MP build to Mojave 10.14.

Here is the official TMX86 in place upgrade guide if you haven't seen it yet.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/

Last edited:
[snip]
"...So it's over to you now, I have tried to get you back on track, but it's ultimately up to you to follow directions as given. I have spent a considerable time trying to fathom as to why you were having so much trouble getting your system up and running properly. I'd suggest if you want to have another go at it, that you don't use any of your old config.plists etc and follow this build guide carefully.

Jim

Okay, thanks. It's working fine.

Just want to say what a great help this thread has been for me! before I saw this thread, my buddy and I had the same idea to build an almost exact machine, it's crazy how similar it is. so I took on the crazy challenge, and start working on the software install, it literally took me about 2-3 days to figure out. ( I used to be a pc tech, but like 15 years ago, so it has been a long time since I done anything remotely on pc lol ) so there were a lot of learning curve as I go. I do have to admit, building a pc now a day its so much easier than ever before. well, after doing a lot of research from this thread and also 2 other sources. I kind of gunho and went straight to fresh install of Mojave. and crazy enough I was able to get it done and using multiple Kext update and jack around here and there. this thing is running smooth as hell! it geek bench at 6334/29230 and not overclocking yet. now the only challenge I have now, is that I want to add bluetooth/wifi, just wondering what's everyone using on their parts?

Im also planning to do more test on the Final Cut and premiere as well.

View attachment 359764View attachment 359763

Hi @vballdallas, good looking setup, and you have picked a good build to get you into the 'Hackintosh' world.

I'm using a BCM94360CS2 PCI-E card that I purchased of Ebay last year from China. It is recognized by my system as a genuine
AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x112) WiFi and BT 4.0 card. It just works 'out-of-the-box', both in High Sierra and Mojave. I have all of the macOS things like 'hand-off', iMessage, location, Apple glide mouse etc working. It sits in my top PCIEX_1 slot and requires a USB cable to be connected to your internal USB port, I used F_USB2.

Regarding your testing of FCPX, would you report back in this thread on your success or failure, as others might be trying to get FCPX to encode properly, I know @jiffyslot was trying, but I couldn't help him as my trial of FCPX has expired.

Jim

So I'd expect that some others with the same hardware as you will chime in here to give you some more specifics as to what is best to do when updating the Hack a Shaq MP build to Mojave 10.14.
Which is, obviously, why I post this query in THIS thread... (this thread is, LITERALLY, dedicated to my specific hardware. :)

Back