Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

IDK if there's a FCPX demo; probably. In Compressor I've only tried mp4 1080p and 480p (480p yields a black image, no discernable frames.) iGPU is enabled: 128MB-256MB. I have no 3rd party kexts in S/L/E. See below:
View attachment 359484

@jiffyslot, and others. I've been looking at your versions of Whatevergreen & Lilu kexts and also your other kexts in your /L/E directory.

There have been a lot of changes in recent weeks/months that make it easier to on our Z370 Mobos to get them working smoothly with power management, graphics, USB etc. Unfortunately, there are a lot of documents that need updating and qualifying in regards to which CPU, macOS version and other hardware.

Documentation is always a pain to do, and invariably it falls behind development. As a now retired software engineer, I can totally relate to this!

I've spent a lot of my time trying to sort out what is the 'updated way' of getting my system running smoothly, with the minimum number of kexts.

@jiffyslot, this is what I have noticed about your system:
  1. WhateverGreen.kext you have version 1.2.0 which is outdated. Since then there have been some changes that may be affecting your iGPU... see here for the latest and the major change descriptions. You must use Lilu v 1.2.7 or later for WhateverGreen to do its stuff.
  2. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext I believe is not required for our Mojave and Z370. I don't use it.
    Enable PluginType in config.plist and in Drop Tables 'DMAR' in the ACPI section.
  3. FakeSMC* has been updated to 6.26-357-gceb835ea.1800, I'm not sure what 'fixes' it has but it's what I'm using.

I'd copy your /L/E directory to a safe place and then use KextBeast to load the later kexts on your desktop to /L/E, delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then use your updated config.plist that I have modified, to test after saving your original.
Then don't forget to update your kernel cache...
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

There are a lot of changes I have made in this config.plist.... I suggest you place it in the 'Other' directory named as it is after doing all of the above and then selecting it in the Clover boot menu (hit the 'o' key to go into Options and then select this one), this way if I have mucked it up you can reboot using your default config.sy. I have several config.plists in my other directory ... a bit like a timeline of all the things I have tried if you understand.

There are a few other Q's I have, but let's test it now like it is.

Jim

Attachments

• config_jb007_modified_for_Mojave.plist
    12.5 KB · Views: 162
@benoithock

Hi Ben (@benoithock), I signed up for the 7-day trial version of Adobe CC and ran a couple of quick tests for you.

I'm not a 'Video' expert by any means but I tried to convert the 'Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4' 2:07min 4K video file to 1920x1080 using the same frame rate as the original 59.94Hz using H.264.

It took roughly 2:55 to export.

I've captured the settings that I used, along with 3 Intel Power Gadget screenshots i.e. the start of the export, during and after and also a screenshot of the VTDecoderXPCService, which if I understand correctly, shows that the iGPU QuickSync is working (?). My AMD RX 580 was maxed out during this export, which is to be expected, as I think Adobe uses the GPU for the encoding.

You can see that the iGPU is being used to help with the encoding, but I don't think it's really needed as the RX 580 does most of the grunt work. Others with more experience with video editing can chime in here, as I'm a bit out of my 'comfort zone' with video editing etc.

Hi
cool thank's for trying it! So it's good to know that it is working! So Definitely I need to know what's wrong! Can you tell me what kext
@benoithock

Hi Ben (@benoithock), I signed up for the 7-day trial version of Adobe CC and ran a couple of quick tests for you.

I'm not a 'Video' expert by any means but I tried to convert the 'Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4' 2:07min 4K video file to 1920x1080 using the same frame rate as the original 59.94Hz using H.264.

It took roughly 2:55 to export.

I've captured the settings that I used, along with 3 Intel Power Gadget screenshots i.e. the start of the export, during and after and also a screenshot of the VTDecoderXPCService, which if I understand correctly, shows that the iGPU QuickSync is working (?). My AMD RX 580 was maxed out during this export, which is to be expected, as I think Adobe uses the GPU for the encoding.

You can see that the iGPU is being used to help with the encoding, but I don't think it's really needed as the RX 580 does most of the grunt work. Others with more experience with video editing can chime in here, as I'm a bit out of my 'comfort zone' with video editing etc.

Hi Thank's for trying it! It's good to see that it is working! So I definitely need to find the problem. Can you show me all Kext you have activated?
Thank's
Ben

@jiffyslot, and others. I've been looking at your versions of Whatevergreen & Lilu kexts and also your other kexts in your /L/E directory.

There have been a lot of changes in recent weeks/months that make it easier to on our Z370 Mobos to get them working smoothly with power management, graphics, USB etc. Unfortunately, there are a lot of documents that need updating and qualifying in regards to which CPU, macOS version and other hardware.

Documentation is always a pain to do, and invariably it falls behind development. As a now retired software engineer, I can totally relate to this!

I've spent a lot of my time trying to sort out what is the 'updated way' of getting my system running smoothly, with the minimum number of kexts.

@jiffyslot, this is what I have noticed about your system:
  1. WhateverGreen.kext you have version 1.2.0 which is outdated. Since then there have been some changes that may be affecting your iGPU... see here for the latest and the major change descriptions. You must use Lilu v 1.2.7 or later for WhateverGreen to do its stuff.
  2. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext I believe is not required for our Mojave and Z370. I don't use it.
    Enable PluginType in config.plist and in Drop Tables 'DMAR' in the ACPI section.
  3. FakeSMC* has been updated to 6.26-357-gceb835ea.1800, I'm not sure what 'fixes' it has but it's what I'm using.

I'd copy your /L/E directory to a safe place and then use KextBeast to load the later kexts on your desktop to /L/E, delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then use your updated config.plist that I have modified, to test after saving your original.
Then don't forget to update your kernel cache...
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

There are a lot of changes I have made in this config.plist.... I suggest you place it in the 'Other' directory named as it is after doing all of the above and then selecting it in the Clover boot menu (hit the 'o' key to go into Options and then select this one), this way if I have mucked it up you can reboot using your default config.sy. I have several config.plists in my other directory ... a bit like a timeline of all the things I have tried if you understand.

There are a few other Q's I have, but let's test it now like it is.

Jim

Ha ha... Well, what was a newly working system is now a prohib symbol on boot. I'll just use High Sierra. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.kext

Hi
cool thank's for trying it! So it's good to know that it is working! So Definitely I need to know what's wrong! Can you tell me what kext

Hi Thank's for trying it! It's good to see that it is working! So I definitely need to find the problem. Can you show me all Kext you have activated?
Thank's
Ben

Hi Ben (@benoithock), here are my Clover other and /L/E directories with a couple of comments. I've attached my config.plist minus serials etc... I'm running on Mojave using iMac18,3.
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 5.47.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 5.55.48 pm.png

Jim

Attachments

• config_jb007_18,3.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 137
Ha ha... Well, what was a newly working system is now a prohib symbol on boot. I'll just use High Sierra. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.kext

Did you update all the kexts and remove etc as per my doc?
Will it boot back into Mojave using your config.plist?

Backed it up. Won't boot. Prohibs all around. Even after I reset/cleared the machine and replugged-in the High Sierra SSD. Borked. :lol:

How could that greasefire bork an SSD that wasn't even plugged in?

Backed it up. Won't boot. Prohibs all around. Even after I reset/cleared the machine and replugged-in the High Sierra SSD. Borked. :lol:

You haven't replied to my question.

Did you update all the kext's versions as per my guide?
You are running this on an internal SSD, on Mojave on the Z370 build, using HFS+?
Have you put Clover into verbose mode and halt on kernel panic on to see any errors etc?

I booted my machine whilst waiting and it booted fine with your config.plist, but Apple didn't like me as I was using your iMac id!

It's very hard to no what you have done or not done.

Yeah, don't do that. Yes, I backed everything up. Then ran each kext one at a time using Kextbeast 2. I think something's wrong with Clover. Anyway, it's my own fault. It was a freash install on a new Samsung 860 and I just had to f with it. Anyway, I was on the fence about this machine. It's probably just going to run Windows 10 as a VSL slave.

Yeah, don't do that. Yes, I backed everything up. Then ran each kext one at a time using Kextbeast 2. I think something's wrong with Clover. Anyway, it's my own fault. It was a freash install on a new Samsung 860 and I just had to f with it. Anyway, I was on the fence about this machine. It's probably just going to run Windows 10 as a VSL slave.

What files do you have in your Clover Kexts Other directory and what version of Clover is showing (in bottom right corner of the screen) for clover?

I booted successfully using the modified config.plist I gave you. There has always been something strange in the way your system boots... it usually is something simple.

What you could do is zip your whole EFI folder up, and upload it and I'll take a look at it. Copy it to your desktop and take out the themes directory to make the file size smaller, you will have to put it back when I upload it to you. You can have multiple EFI directories, just rename the existing one to something like EFI.pre_jb007 so it's easy to put back to original, not that it is working ATM.

Your BIOS is set up correctly for booting macOS, is it?

EDIT: @jiffyslot, did you also run the code below before rebooting and after updating your kexts?
sudo kextcache -i /

Last edited:
Back