Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

It looks like you are loading the current boot drive Mojave from another clover config on another drive...

Once again, running iGPU in headless mode, you should not see the UHD Graphics 630. Full stop, most probably you are booting of a different config.plist….

I'd remove all drives except the one you want to re-do as Mojave. Do you have a unibeast install usb with it on?
Use Multibeast… the latest once you got it up and booting fine, don't forget to set your BIOS boot drive correctly.
I'd also get the latest clover and install that, but you should get away ATM with the one in MB.
Don't forget to select NATIVE NVRAM in MB, don't load any audio drivers.
And yes once you have it booting from the BIOS & clover, mount the efi folder duplicate or copy the new config.plist created by MB as a backup in case things go pear shaped, and copy over mine... cross fingers etc.

I'll check in tomorrow...

Yeah, upon close examination, a couple SSDs that used to hold OS's and later erased (as in reformatted HFS+ GUID and encrypted) still held onto their EFI+Clover partitions. Perhaps the best way to erase unused OS SSD's is to format with FAT32, MBR. etc., before reformatting to HFS+. Who knew? I thought the purpose of Multibeast was to contain the EFI-based Clover stuff. I found things on a media SSD. Odd. I'm starting over. Again. But not tonight.

I was able to get it rock solid stable at 5.2ghz in windows at 1.29 vcore. this is literally a silicone lottery cpu. Unfortunately for whatever reason, macOS won't reach desktop at 5.2ghz even though windows passes every stress test with flying colors under sun. Verbose boot is 100% solid, it literally completes boot process, but the point where window server loads the desktop, it goes to infamous black screen instead. No panic, no hang, no reboot, or errors. just black screen. I wouldn't be surprised if macOS just doesn't comprehend 5.2ghz (or make fakesmc doesn't. who knows).

shame. i was able to run 5.2ghz with a temp average of like 75C under full load, all cores in Aida64 for 20 min straight.

@jb007

2 things you need to do. advantage voltage, and change LLC and vcore to extreme. This will eliminate voltage droop. after this. then you set package of cpu to desired overclock. then set vcore to a good starting point. not too high. no higher than 1.28 to start. then boot into windows (macos doesn't have ANY worth a damn stress tests. geekbench has a fake stress test but it BARELY stresses cpu) in windows you can use prime95 or aida64. I actually run both for good measure. if you crash, vcore not enough enough. if you don't crash but temps too high. try lowering vcore by one incriment at a time to see how low you can get until you do crash, to get your lowest temps possible while still remaining stable. run the stress tests at least 20 min. longer is even better but at end of day, i just do 20 min cause the true stability test comes after anyways, general use for the coming weeks post OC.

I was able to get it rock solid stable at 5.2ghz in windows at 1.29 vcore. this is literally a silicone lottery cpu. Unfortunately for whatever reason, macOS won't reach desktop at 5.2ghz even though windows passes every stress test with flying colors under sun. Verbose boot is 100% solid, it literally completes boot process, but the point where window server loads the desktop, it goes to infamous black screen instead. No panic, no hang, no reboot, or errors. just black screen. I wouldn't be surprised if macOS just doesn't comprehend 5.2ghz (or make fakesmc doesn't. who knows).

shame. i was able to run 5.2ghz with a temp average of like 75C under full load, all cores in Aida64 for 20 min straight.

@jb007

2 things you need to do. advantage voltage, and change LLC and vcore to extreme. This will eliminate voltage droop. after this. then you set package of cpu to desired overclock. then set vcore to a good starting point. not too high. no higher than 1.28 to start. then boot into windows (macos doesn't have ANY worth a damn stress tests. geekbench has a fake stress test but it BARELY stresses cpu) in windows you can use prime95 or aida64. I actually run both for good measure. if you crash, vcore not enough enough. if you don't crash but temps too high. try lowering vcore by one incriment at a time to see how low you can get until you do crash, to get your lowest temps possible while still remaining stable. run the stress tests at least 20 min. longer is even better but at end of day, i just do 20 min cause the true stability test comes after anyways, general use for the coming weeks post OC.
Cool, thanks @MysticalOS, I'll try my luck in after tomorrow when I'm of work for 3 days... I'd like to get to a stable 5GHz, and for it to run a bit cooler, but it is running cooler since I de-lidded and it's also on a AIO 280mm radiator.
I'll report back on how it all worked out, but I think my CPU is not in the silicon lottery category.

Yeah, upon close examination, a couple SSDs that used to hold OS's and later erased (as in reformatted HFS+ GUID and encrypted) still held onto their EFI+Clover partitions. Perhaps the best way to erase unused OS SSD's is to format with FAT32, MBR. etc., before reformatting to HFS+. Who knew? I thought the purpose of Multibeast was to contain the EFI-based Clover stuff. I found things on a media SSD. Odd. I'm starting over. Again. But not tonight.
Yes, having multiple EFI folders hanging around can cause confusion, best to disable all SSD's etc the one you want. I usually just go into the BIOS and disable them from the SSD drive menu. Then when you have it bootable from Multibeast, select the right boot drive and then save the settings to a Profile in the BIOS.

Well, I've never used it because I use the Thunderbolt-based UAD Apollo 8. I'll watch for the S/PDIF optical port to blast some laser light against my wall. Hang on...
..And I just noticed I answered a question about audio. Hang on, it's been a long 52 hours...
Wait! No you didn't.:confused:
I did a search for "optical audio" and I have the same motherboard for an upcoming build.
Does optical audio output work running Mojave on this board?
TIA

I have built a hackintosh using the exact same base components, the only thing thats different is that my system is configured as iMac 18,1 because I only use the igpu for now. Everything works fine besides USB3. When I try a USB2 Stick it is recognized on every USB-Port, but I can only get one USB3 Device on a single port to work. I followed the instructions precisely, but it refuses to work. I`m on 10.14.1. Any thoughts how i could get USB3 to work?

Wait! No you didn't.:confused:
I did a search for "optical audio" and I have the same motherboard for an upcoming build.
Does optical audio output work running Mojave on this board?
TIA
I can answer this. I'm on Mojave 10.14.1 and it shows Optical out as an O/P and it works. I just dragged my HiFi amp into my office and tested several audio sources, all sounded good through my headphones. I'm not an 'audio guy', but it all seems fine.
Optical Out Mojave 10.14.1.png
Jim:geek:

I've got it to work for now. For everyone with the same problem, just read this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-mojave-10-14-1-update-lost-usb-3-0.264125/

And for those that find it difficult to do the patching and creation of an SSDT, have a look at this [Release] Intel FB-Patcher v1.6.5 thread. It is a great app created by @headkaze and really simplifies things, just follow the instructions in the above-linked thread.

I have had no issues doing it both ways, but IMHO the latter method is easier and is what I'm using for both USB and Audio. Another advantage I believe is if Apple changes the kexts for audio and or USB (and they will if you go by past updates of macOS), then my understanding this later method using FB-Patcher app to create the patches etc is upgrade proof.

I have posted about this in this thread several times now, so search on me jb007 and FB-Patcher in this thread and you should get 11 posts referring to this FB-Patcher app.

Jim:geek:

Back