Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Then all should be good for the USB file I uploaded.
Also note there is a new way in the config.plist I uploaded to enable the sound card.
Is your Intel IGPU working now?

Nope! And DVD Player crashed. Do I need to disable SIP to place your USB kext into /L/E? The one that's in there is from several hours ago. I'm going to see if FCPX will crash on me, as per your theory. I'm using the config you sent but I generated new UUIDs, etc.

No FCPX crash. Running Intel Power Gadget now... Running Bruce X test... 14.83 seconds. The iGPU is flatlined, but it created the Masterfile fine. I'll try sending it to compressor... -That (same Pro Res 422 setting) took 25 seconds from inside Compressor, but FCPX was still running but idle. Should I just disable the iGPU in BIOS if it's just layin' there like a ...thing?

Rebooted with iGPU set to Auto. Bruce X test ran in 16 seconds. About 25 again in Compressor. Any reason to use iGPU with a score like that? Not being a wise-ass, but I din't want to concern myself with the iGPU if the RX-580 is handling it anyway...

Last edited:
Are there any issues to anticipate in case I would like to switch the processor to Intel Core i5-8600K, to save a $100?

Are there any issues to anticipate in case I would like to switch the processor to Intel Core i5-8600K, to save a $100?
I don’t think so.

No FCPX crash. Running Intel Power Gadget now... Running Bruce X test... 14.83 seconds. The iGPU is flatlined, but it created the Masterfile fine. I'll try sending it to compressor... -That (same Pro Res 422 setting) took 25 seconds from inside Compressor, but FCPX was still running but idle. Should I just disable the iGPU in BIOS if it's just layin' there like a ...thing?

Rebooted with iGPU set to Auto. Bruce X test ran in 16 seconds. About 25 again in Compressor. Any reason to use iGPU with a score like that? Not being a wise-ass, but I din't want to concern myself with the iGPU if the RX-580 is handling it anyway...

Hi @jiffyslot, I'd leave your iGPU settings as 64MB and Max in BIOS, not auto. When you say it's flatlining do you mean the GFX is sitting at 0GHz or its running at a higher value like 0.35GHz? What is your RX 580 doing whilst encoding?

I have also found that unless I have the iGPU enabled, I can't view jpeg pictures! Go figure. Also, other apps might use the iGPU for encoding decoding like on my system QuickTime uses it for decoding 4K mp4 videos. It won't hurt anything to have it enabled, as long as it's configured correctly.

Nope! And DVD Player crashed. Do I need to disable SIP to place your USB kext into /L/E? The one that's in there is from several hours ago. I'm going to see if FCPX will crash on me, as per your theory. I'm using the config you sent but I generated new UUIDs, etc.

The first time I used DVD player it also crashed, I then ran it again and it asked for my DVD region, then it just worked, I played a DVD whilst typing out my long response to you last night.

If you have booted with 0x67 in your config.plist instead of 0x3 then (I'm not an expert on these security setting BTW) you should be able to put it into your /EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder, not /L/E as it will not work there. I only have two kexts in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder, i.e FakeSMC.kext & USBPorts.kext.
If you have any USB related kexts in /L/E like, USBInjectAll, etc then remove them, they are not needed for USB if you are using this USBPorts.kext. All USBPorts.kext needs to work properly is itself and the disable ports patch that I placed/updated in the config.plist I gave you in my previous post. This patch just modifies the system to allow all 26 ports to be available.

These are all my files I have in /L/E:
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.53.49 pm.png

Also, is your Native NVRAM working properly? To refresh your memory, this is how to test if it is working.
In a terminal type:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram DeleteMe="Delete me"
Password:
Then reboot to make sure the variable is saved to NVRAM, and then in a terminal:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram -p | grep DeleteMe
DeleteMe    Delete me
You should see this variable and its value "Delete me"
If you want to delete this variable then type in a terminal:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram -d DeleteMe

Jim :geek:

Hi @jiffyslot, I'd leave your iGPU settings as 64MB and Max in BIOS, not auto. When you say it's flatlining do you mean the GFX is sitting at 0GHz or its running at a higher value like 0.35GHz? What is your RX 580 doing whilst encoding?

I have also found that unless I have the iGPU enabled, I can't view jpeg pictures! Go figure. Also, other apps might use the iGPU for encoding decoding like on my system QuickTime uses it for decoding 4K mp4 videos. It won't hurt anything to have it enabled, as long as it's configured correctly.

The first time I used DVD player it also crashed, I then ran it again and it asked for my DVD region, then it just worked, I played a DVD whilst typing out my long response to you last night.

If you have booted with 0x67 in your config.plist instead of 0x3 then (I'm not an expert on these security setting BTW) you should be able to put it into your /EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder, not /L/E as it will not work there. I only have two kexts in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/other folder, i.e FakeSMC.kext & USBPorts.kext.
If you have any USB related kexts in /L/E like, USBInjectAll, etc then remove them, they are not needed for USB if you are using this USBPorts.kext. All USBPorts.kext needs to work properly is itself and the disable ports patch that I placed/updated in the config.plist I gave you in my previous post. This patch just modifies the system to allow all 26 ports to be available.

These are all my files I have in /L/E:
View attachment 366446

Also, is your Native NVRAM working properly? To refresh your memory, this is how to test if it is working.
In a terminal type:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram DeleteMe="Delete me"
Password:
Then reboot to make sure the variable is saved to NVRAM, and then in a terminal:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram -p | grep DeleteMe
DeleteMe    Delete me
You should see this variable and its value "Delete me"
If you want to delete this variable then type in a terminal:
Code:
jb@Gigantor:~$ sudo nvram -d DeleteMe

Jim :geek:

Hi @jb007 ,

I'll redo it. But a question, when the Kext Update Command runs, it would seem that it's only concerning itself with:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -i /

and not with any in the EFI folder(s). Do I need to update the path to the EFI's Other kexts?
What would that look like path-wise?
Do I run those as written? Or as:

sudo touch /Library/Extensions (enter password)
sudo kextcache -i /
and then

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions (enter password)
sudo kextcache -i /

I've also see this command as this, so I don't know which one is correct or better:

sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

FWIW I've installed @RehabMan 's version of Clover onto the new Mojave install.

"0x67" "0x3" -I don't know what these are or where they reside. iGPU was at 0% use. No kext loaded.

And for some strange reason, I have two EFI folders in the one that pops open right after using Multbeast:

Attachments

• Double EFI.png
    Double EFI.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Dude! I got iGPU to show up: In Clover pre-OSX boot, I went in and hit the Inject Intel in the Clover Options. It did the trick when Clover Config would not. I checked the config file to see if anything changed. Nothing changed in the ig-graphics page as I expected it would. LMK if you still want the EFI folder. Right now, there are two pre-boot anoyances that pose as EFI mountables. I'll clear using F11 and see if they go away. Thanks man. LMK what else. BTW, my custom UUID does not stick. I can't get into the real thing here to fix it. Maybe disable SIP. IDK where that System ID file would be.

Dah! Scratch that. The Intel HD 630 disappeared again...

Last edited:
Hi @jb007 ,

I'll redo it. But a question, when the Kext Update Command runs, it would seem that it's only concerning itself with:

sudo kextcache -i /

and not with any in the EFI folder(s). Do I need to update the path to the EFI's Other kexts?
What would that look like path-wise?
Do I run those as written? Or as:

sudo touch /Library/Extensions (enter password)
sudo kextcache -i /
and then

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions (enter password)
sudo kextcache -i /

I've also see this command as this, so I don't know which one is correct or better:

sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

FWIW I've installed @RehabMan 's version of Clover onto the new Mojave install.

"0x67" "0x3" -I don't know what these are or where they reside. iGPU was at 0% use. No kext loaded.

And for some strange reason, I have two EFI folders in the one that pops open right after using Multbeast:

Ok @jiffyslot, I'll try and set you straight on these questions.

1. In terminal run these commands to update the kernel cache when you have changed, added or removed any kext(s) in /L/E or /S/L/E. These commands are run one after another. You will need your password to run these as these commands are modifying system files, hence the use of the "sudo" command. If you get errors, then there is a problem that you will have to fix. Don't ignore errors, otherwise, this can lead to other compounding errors or kexts might not load etc.
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -i /
    The && between commands is just a shortcut way of running two commands together, so it processes the first then the second... it's optional.
  2. "0x67" "0x3" are values that have been changed in your config.plist (CsrActiveConfig in RtVariables) by me. The 0x67 allows more access to modify files. Just use it in all of your config.plists.
  3. The no kext loaded, is confusing me? what kext?
  4. Re RehabMan Clover, I'm not familiar with it and what is different... what version number is it, and why are you using it

5. Dude! I got iGPU to show up: In Clover pre-OSX boot, I went in and hit the Inject Intel in the Clover Options. It did the trick when Clover Config would not. I checked the config file to see if anything changed. Nothing changed in the ig-graphics page as I expected it would. LMK if you still want the EFI folder. Right now, there are two pre-boot anoyances that pose as EFI mountables. I'll clear using F11 and see if they go away. Thanks man. LMK what else. BTW, my custom UUID does not stick. I can't get into the real thing here to fix it. Maybe disable SIP. IDK where that System ID file would be.
    That is not the correct way, could you hold reset the config.plist as per the config.plist I gave you last night. Changing things like this just confuses me! I can't help if things are being changed when I'm trying to reply to your previous messages/problems. I will continue on a next thread to help you further, but could you hold off and reset your Config.plist?

@jiffyslot. Could you run these commands in a terminal one at a time and then upload the 3 files for me to look at? The commands are just doing a listing of the three directories /EFI, /L/E & /S/L/E.
Code:
cd ~/Desktop
ls -al /Library/Extensions/ >> le.txt
ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/ >> sle.txt
ls -al /EFI >> efi.txt

Ok @jiffyslot, I'll try and set you straight on these questions.

1. In terminal run these commands to update the kernel cache when you have changed, added or removed any kext(s) in /L/E or /S/L/E. These commands are run one after another. You will need your password to run these as these commands are modifying system files, hence the use of the "sudo" command. If you get errors, then there is a problem that you will have to fix. Don't ignore errors, otherwise, this can lead to other compounding errors or kexts might not load etc.
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -i /
    The && between commands is just a shortcut way of running two commands together, so it processes the first then the second... it's optional.
  2. "0x67" "0x3" are values that have been changed in your config.plist (CsrActiveConfig in RtVariables) by me. The 0x67 allows more access to modify files. Just use it in all of your config.plists.
  3. The no kext loaded, is confusing me? what kext?
  4. Re RehabMan Clover, I'm not familiar with it and what is different... what version number is it, and why are you using it

5. That is not the correct way, could you hold reset the config.plist as per the config.plist I gave you last night. Changing things like this just confuses me! I can't help if things are being changed when I'm trying to reply to your previous messages/problems. I will continue on a next thread to help you further, but could you hold off and reset your Config.plist?

Yes, I'll hold off. -But I used the config you gave me.

The kext not loaded was displayed in About This Mac<System Report<Graphics/Displays.

Back