Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Ferz2019 The instructions in post 1 are outdated, you should look for the posts from @jb007 in this thread. There's still no post that summarizes the current state, but if you take the time to scroll through the last 50 pages or so, you will find a config that works for you.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 F13
CPU
i7-8700K 4.5 GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic, iBook, Performa, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
If the Hackintosh kexts are being injected by Clover, SIP can be enabled. I have SIP enabled with no issues at all.
Thank you. Some important questions, though:

Does a build running from EFI-based kexts also have a better chance of fully implementing the items in EFI<Clover<ACPI<Patched<SSDTs? -Or do SSDTs always work from the EFI (i.e., Do SSDTs behave this way on a Mac?)

Another thing I was wondering is how you were able to install kexts to EFI without using KextBeast -which only gives the options L/E and S/L/E. Can you drag using finder, or did you use Clover Configurator to point to EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other. (As you know, KextBeast only gives the options L/E and S/L/E.)

Do I need to remove the hack kexts via the Terminal? Or can I drag them out with the Finder, rebuild with sudo kextcache -i / and then install the kexts to EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other how do you sudo kextcache -i / the EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other folder kexts?

The reason I'm interested in this is I am wondering if 0x67 could be interfering with the full functionality of Thunderbolt, given it's security issues in the past. Using your method, I was considering keeping the BooterConfig at 0x28 and setting the CsrActiveConfig as 0x3.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you. Some important questions, though:

Does a build running from EFI-based kexts also have a better chance of fully implementing the items in EFI<Clover<ACPI<Patched<SSDTs? -Or do SSDTs always work from the EFI (i.e., Do SSDTs behave this way on a Mac?)

Another thing I was wondering is how you were able to install kexts to EFI without using KextBeast -which only gives the options L/E and S/L/E. Can you drag using finder, or did you use Clover Configurator to point to EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other. (As you know, KextBeast only gives the options L/E and S/L/E.)

Do I need to remove the hack kexts via the Terminal? Or can I drag them out with the Finder, rebuild with sudo kextcache -i / and then install the kexts to EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other how do you sudo kextcache -i / the EFI<Clover<Kexts<Other folder kexts?

The reason I'm interested in this is I am wondering if 0x67 could be interfering with the full functionality of Thunderbolt, given it's security issues in the past. Using your method, I was considering keeping the BooterConfig at 0x28 and setting the CsrActiveConfig as 0x3.

Thank you for your time.
The only place you should put your SSDTs is /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/. Where you put kexts should have no impact on your SSDTs.

To install kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, just drag-n-drop or copy+paste. You don't need any kexts installer to install to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

If you want to remove kexts from /Library/Extensions/, yes. Delete them, then run the Terminal command to rebuild kext cache.

If you want to remove kexts fro /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, just delete them.

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: 2 x RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
@jb007. Hello and thanks for that big answer, sorry for time delay to answer you.

1. This is config that I take from other website with the same mobo. If it's helps, I can replace config from my to this in first post, but in my config everything works fine for me except Thunderbolt hot swap...
  2. I moved all of my kext files to /s/l/e folder and copied the same fakesmc.kext file to /s/l/e from /kexts/other EFI folder.
  3. I removed this file from EFI folder.
  4. I removed this file from EFI folder.
  5. Yes, all USB ports works fine for me, I used patch to enable all ports in config.plist.
  6. Yes THB-C cable, connected.
  7. Nothing more additional files, only system, I reinstall a clean copy to configure thunderbolt on Mac.
  8. All files from /kexts/other folder and nothing more.
I installed clean version of Mojave on second drive but situation is the same, Thunderbolt Device present until first unplug. After that no thunderbolt device is available.

After that, I doing all things Besides editing config.plist but result the same... no hot-swap
Hi, Ferz2019.
1. As per my original post, irrespective of whether your config.plist is working for someone else, it is far from what I have used and this motherboard needs very little in the way of settings to work. It is very hard to find faults when there is a vast difference between configs. I'd suggest you grab one of the later ones of mine in this post and use it to set up yours.
2. The kexts should only go into /Library/Extensions, not /Sytems/Library/Extensions as you have stated. Is this a mistake?

I and others have had TB3 working with BIOS F7 and Alpine Ridge. Having said that, I still can't hot-swap my Razor Core X eGPU only my OCW 10GBe ethernet adapter, so maybe it is hot-swapping for a select set of devices.
I have also a Titan Ridge which is proving more difficult to get going as far as hot-swapping goes. Definitely a work in progress, or 'holy grail'.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello guys, I have a problem, I bought a new monitor (LG 27UK600 4K) and after that I noticed that hardware encoding stop working. With my previous display (1920x1080) everything was ok.
Also in the section About this Mac it shows the resolution as 5K 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus).
Any thoughts?
Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 22.04.13.png Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 22.04.42.png

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 22.09.01.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello guys, I have a problem, I bought a new monitor (LG 27UK600 4K) and after that I noticed that hardware encoding stop working. With my previous display (1920x1080) everything was ok.
Also in the section About this Mac it shows the resolution as 5K 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus).
Any thoughts?
View attachment 393197View attachment 393198

View attachment 393199
Ok, the problem was shikigva=1. After I remove it, everything run fine again.

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 14.09.08.pngScreenshot 2019-03-17 at 14.08.45.png

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 14.08.20.png

Motherboard
Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
@HackaShaq I made the same mistake as you with the RAM being in the wrong spot. However, when I switched it over to the proper configuration, it gives me an error and doesn’t boot. It tells me “error loading kernel cache (0x1b). Could you please help?

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - F11
CPU
i7-8700K OC @ 5.1Ghz
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Performa
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am actually curious if F12 is more functional than F12c (which was a release candidate not final version). many of us tried 12 release candidate build and saw that it's not possible to boot on that bios. but if F12 final resolves that, it'd probably be a better run to run because i believe the microcode update was vulnerability fixes in microcode.

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: 2 x RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I am actually curious if F12 is more functional than F12c (which was a release candidate not final version). many of us tried 12 release candidate build and saw that it's not possible to boot on that bios. but if F12 final resolves that, it'd probably be a better run to run because i believe the microcode update was vulnerability fixes in microcode.
Hi @MysticalOS, I've tried this new F12 version, and can't get it to boot either of my Mojave SSD or even the Mojave install disk. I've even gone as far as removing all of my NVMe M.2 drives, Vega64 and Titan Ridge.

It's throwing up errors in the ACPI side of things, as well as there is an ACPI error saying:
"ACPI Exception: AE_BAD_PARAMETER, Could not install PciConfigHandler for Root Bridge PCI0 (20160930/evrgnini-339)"
Depending on what devices I have installed it proceeds further then halts.

Under linux it also complains about ACPI in the error logs, but soldiers on and boots okay, same as Windows 10.

Spent far too much time with this Gigabyte motherboard and their BIOS 'updates'! Might look at getting a ASUS mobo to replace this.

If anyone succeeds with this F12 BIOS, please post and let us know.

Jim

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370
CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
RX580
I am running OSX off my M.2 960 EVO, and it runs flawlessly. Now I am trying to install Win10 to dual-boot, and my BIOS nor Disk Utility will recognize the 860 EVO. But it will recognize my HDD using the same power and SATA cables, and SATA port. I've tried with two brand new 860's and same issue for both. Any ideas?

Thanks.