Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ah yeah, the issue is in Window's Thunderbolt ports also didn't work. I don't know what happened to the chip ATM. It's next to me on the desk waiting for experimentation. Best case is that the contents inside are erased.

There is one new issue though @CaseySJ, after I got the Thunderbolt and FireWire interface to work together, the new problem is, in a session on logic where I use my aggregate audio device - containing both cards, USB ports randomly stop working altogether. Like all ports on the computer, maybe except the internal WiFi + BT port. So then my keyboard and my mouse no longer work, the computer goes to sleep, and I have to basically hold the power button to shut down the computer. If I reboot, instead of shutting down, on the reboot, the interfaces that are connected to the Thunderbolt ports are not seen. Any ideas why this might be?
If you’re using a number of USB 2.0 devices, please check if this post applies:

** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4 public beta, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome in my experience, as follows:
  • Designare Z390 -- installation completes, but system crashes and reboots after login screen
  • Asus Z690 ROG STRIX mini-ITX -- installation fails and returns to 14.3
  • Asus X670E Gene (AMD Ryzen) -- installation fails and returns to 14.3

UPDATE:
Thanks to this post by @AmigaOS, we can install 14.4 after doing this:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not default)
  • Disable all WiFi kexts if any
  • Disable all Bluetooth kexts if any
When installation is done we can re-enable SecureBootModel and the kexts, but AirportItlwm should remain disabled until a patch or new version is released!

Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ,

which BIOS firmware do you recommend for my update struggle? I'm still on F6.

Did you see my Post from four days ago? I still have the problem with the USB Bootstick. Which drivers, kexts and ACPI files should be on the EFI on the install stick?

Is there a way to check if the EFI has the correct files for my build? I used the file from your OpenCore 0.9.2 Mini-Guide, changed the config.plist and copied these folders (BOOT and OC) in the EFI folder on the install stick.

Thx again.

Hi CaseySJ,

which BIOS firmware do you recommend for my update struggle? I'm still on F6.

Did you see my Post from four days ago? I still have the problem with the USB Bootstick. Which drivers, kexts and ACPI files should be on the EFI on the install stick?

Is there a way to check if the EFI has the correct files for my build? I used the file from your OpenCore 0.9.2 Mini-Guide, changed the config.plist and copied these folders (BOOT and OC) in the EFI folder on the install stick.

Thx again.
I recommend BIOS F9i from this post. After BIOS is installed, please check Post 1 for BIOS settings. We also need to set Boot -> CFG-Lock -> to -> Disabled.

After this, let's run the macOS installer once again to see what happens. At the OpenCore Boot Picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable boot logs before selecting the disk to be booted.

I recommend BIOS F9i from this post. After BIOS is installed, please check Post 1 for BIOS settings. We also need to set Boot -> CFG-Lock -> to -> Disabled.

After this, let's run the macOS installer once again to see what happens. At the OpenCore Boot Picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable boot logs before selecting the disk to be booted.
Hi CaseySJ,

i updated the BIOS with no problems. The USB stick starts the install of macOS, and, first, I got the message see file 1. I rebooted with F12 and started the install process again. It runs through the install bar with the Apple logo. After the progress bar is finished, the hackie restarts, and now I'm in this state. See attached files 2 and 3.

In file 4 you can see my desktop with the NVMe disc folders split in two partitions. Should I reformat the NVMe and try again?

Thx again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.png
    4.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 39
Hi CaseySJ,

i updated the BIOS with no problems. The USB stick starts the install of macOS, and, first, I got the message see file 1. I rebooted with F12 and started the install process again. It runs through the install bar with the Apple logo. After the progress bar is finished, the hackie restarts, and now I'm in this state. See attached files 2 and 3.

In file 4 you can see my desktop with the NVMe disc folders split in two partitions. Should I reformat the NVMe and try again?

Thx again.
Hello @Huxlay,

Every time the computer reboots during installation, are you pressing F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen and selecting the USB flash disk that contains OpenCore?

The computer should reboot automatically about 3 (maybe 4) times, so we'll have to watch over the entire process and press F12 after each reboot.

Big Sur creates two disk volumes during installation: (a) system volume with the operating system itself, and (b) "DATA" volume for user home directories. So image 4 is perfectly okay.

I've been using this build for several years now. After update to sonoma 14.3.1. and opencore 0.9.8 i can hear the boot sound but I can't hear system sounds or music files.
I don't know where is the problem can someone help me?
Thanks

Hello @Huxlay,

Every time the computer reboots during installation, are you pressing F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen and selecting the USB flash disk that contains OpenCore?

The computer should reboot automatically about 3 (maybe 4) times, so we'll have to watch over the entire process and press F12 after each reboot.

Big Sur creates two disk volumes during installation: (a) system volume with the operating system itself, and (b) "DATA" volume for user home directories. So image 4 is perfectly okay.
Hi @CaseySJ ,

i'm now stuck with another problem. I was already at the step with the Welcome wizard but then my monitor turns black, no video input nothing happens. I let the Hackie run for some hours in case it is already transferring data from my existing system. I tried to reboot but now my monitor turns permanently dark. I formatted the NVMe and tried again, now i have the same problem but i dont reach the Welcome wizard. I tried the verbose mode and the last line of code i saw (see attached file) before the monitor turns dark.

I also tried different video outputs (Display port, HDMI) on board and grafic card.

thx again for your time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 20
I've been using this build for several years now. After update to sonoma 14.3.1. and opencore 0.9.8 i can hear the boot sound but I can't hear system sounds or music files.
I don't know where is the problem can someone help me?
Thanks
Please post screenshot of System Settings -> Sound -> Output

Hi @CaseySJ ,

i'm now stuck with another problem. I was already at the step with the Welcome wizard but then my monitor turns black, no video input nothing happens. I let the Hackie run for some hours in case it is already transferring data from my existing system. I tried to reboot but now my monitor turns permanently dark. I formatted the NVMe and tried again, now i have the same problem but i dont reach the Welcome wizard. I tried the verbose mode and the last line of code i saw (see attached file) before the monitor turns dark.

I also tried different video outputs (Display port, HDMI) on board and grafic card.

thx again for your time.
Some questions:
  • Are you installing Big Sur?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you connecting GPU to monitor with HDMI-to-HDMI cable? Or DP-to-DP cable?
  • If the monitor is going blank, have you tried (a) powering off the monitor and (b) powering on the monitor?

Back