Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone,

This started happening awhile ago after updating the opencore (I don't remember which version exactly). For some reason my external USB ssd get disconnected for a couple of seconds then either - it gets connected itself or I have to remove the drive manually and stick it back in. It happens randomly - once a day or few times a week.
I checked all my SSD's and they seemed OK. Is there any settings might be involved in such behavior?

Any ideas and advices are greatly appreciated!

OpenCore 097
MacOS - Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited:
@CaseySJ is there any way to enable Firewire support for new OS'es in general? A lot of people are disgruntled due to their old and expensive firewire interfaces not working anymore

Hi all,

On macOS Sonoma you are supposed to have a moving login screen. This does not move for me on first boot but does if I lock the screen. Does anyone else have this issue? or is there a simple fix?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

This started happening awhile ago after updating the opencore (I don't remember which version exactly). For some reason my external USB ssd get disconnected for a couple of seconds then either - it gets connected itself or I have to remove the drive manually and stick it back in. It happens randomly - once a day or few times a week.
I checked all my SSD's and they seemed OK. Is there any settings might be involved in such behavior?

Any ideas and advices are greatly appreciated!

OpenCore 097
MacOS - Ventura 13.6.4
Is this a USB-C device? If so, is it connected to one of the rear Thunderbolt/USB-C ports or to front panel USB-C port?

@CaseySJ is there any way to enable Firewire support for new OS'es in general? A lot of people are disgruntled due to their old and expensive firewire interfaces not working anymore
Firewire is still supported in macOS Sonoma judging by the existence of "Firewire" in System Information:
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 11.07.01 AM.png

Is this a USB-C device? If so, is it connected to one of the rear Thunderbolt/USB-C ports or to front panel USB-C port?
Thanks for response CaseySJ
I have USB OWC dock connected via USB-C to Thunderbolt cable but neither the Hub nor any connected to it devices not causing any problems, the others USB do (with SSD's connected to).
I will try to disconnect the Hub to see if it make any difference.

Peace

ProcessorType should be changed to 3841 because your CPU has more than 6 cores.

If you change System Product Name from iMac18,2 to iMac19,1 you may still be able to use the same serial number, system UUID, board serial number (MLB), and ROM.

When you formatted the USB flash disk, do you remember selecting:
  • Format: MacOS Journaled
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map <--- this is very important
And then do you remember (a) mounting the EFI partition of the USB flash disk and (b) copying the OpenCore folder to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk?

Also, please confirm that BIOS -> Boot -> CFG-Lock is set to Disabled.
I checked everything you wrote but i don't get the USB stick to work. I can boot via F12 into the USB Stick and can start the install process but it stops at the apple logo. I checked the config.plist with https://opencore.slowgeek.com/, see attached file.

I dont find CFG-lock in the BIOS setups.

Attachments

• OpenCore config.plist Sanity Checker.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 4
Firewire is still supported in macOS Sonoma judging by the existence of "Firewire" in System Information:
View attachment 578159

Yeah, works for me too after using a chain of adapters to attach to thunderbolt and I agree with what you're saying. But somethings have been changed between Monterey and Ventura. I noticed in my case too since between these two OS'es my firewire card functions differently.

There are quite a lot of threads due to this. here a guy tried injecting AppleFWAudio.kext back... i tried that too but didn't get any success with the given kext

It no longer detects my firewire card :cry:

A little backstory.

The whole reason I decided to apply the hot plug patch was to be able to get better support for my firewire card (with a chain of adapters firewire400->fw800->tb2->tb3).

Before that it was working and recognized, but it wasn't working optimally, was a little weird. It's a Midas Venice F32 Hybrid Console. So you can record channels to your computer, and then send those back to the console to finish the mix. The product got discontinued after Behringer bought Midas. Although it's a fantastic mixer. Especially for the price today, there's nothing like it - in the second hand market.

They didn't update the drivers for a long time - last update is around 2015, and dropped support for the card. And the Firewire support in Apple also went under in the meantime. With Ventura dropping support for it entirely. But, with the drivers installed, one could apply the chain of adapters that I mentioned above and connect to the console, although not supported formally, it would work.

It works in Ventura, although the Control Center software for the Console Crashed since Big Sur (last known version to work is Catalina). But in Ventura, the console drivers still did function on intel machines, you just couldn't open the Control Center app, despite Apple dropping support for Firewire.

I have bought this console very recently hoping to get it to work. I'll link a thread below where people share their experiences with Ventura. I was on Ventura with all my setup already made, (logic x plugins etc.) So I didn't want to downgrade.

Well for most people it worked, but for me, for some reason, it worked, but output streams to the console wasn't functioning always. 2 Streams go to the console from the computer, 16 channels each. The first stream would not function.

for more info, (lychee is me in this thread): https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1278805-midas-venice-f32-catalina-64bit-2.html

It would only function if, I made a reboot with the console off, and then turn on the console after computer boots. Then I would basically create an Aggregate Device with my UAD Apollo Twin. The utopian scenario. And it worked if I followed this protocol. Which is against what Midas is approving. They (Midas), instead, recommend you to turn the console on, then boot the computer. Reference:

I would use it this way and not complain, but, the firewire card on the console is known to be fragile, easily fried and support is mostly nonexistent. Meaning once you fry the card, you're on your own. It's not super easily replaceable due to design flaws too. That's why I wanted to basically follow their recommendation. But if I boot with the Console on, there's no way that I am getting both streams to the console.

By the way, inputs from the console to the computer work all fine. It's just the console can't get the first 16 channels of audio.

I have verified myself, on this build (gigabyte designare z390, i5 9600k etc) with the older versions of macOS (Catalina, Big Sur installation was a mess so I skipped it, Monterey - which still is on another drive right now) and the firewire card functions perfectly whatever I do. 32 inputs 32 outputs. All good. Only on Ventura I faced this problem, other people didn't. Obviously it's an OS issue, but not just an OS issue, I thought, well, my thunderbolt ports, and the thunderbolt implementation are less than ideal. Maybe I should first improve on that to see if there's any change for the better.

Now is the rude awakening that not only it did not improve, but it actually is way worse on that regard. Would be open to any suggestions for connecting firewire devices :p Thanks.

Attached screenshot of the adapter in ioreg, and also the ioreg file.

I will also attach an old ioreg from the old system for comparison - in an instance where all 32 outputs worked, there's the firewire ohci.

UPDATE!!!: After switching off Thunderbolt USB Support from BIOS, it worked!! And all 32 channels!!!!

It was all worth it this entire rabbit hole of Console Debugging, multiple OS installing, Thunderbolt flashing (and frying a mainboard) WOOOOOOOOOOOOO thanks a lot CaseySJ and Elias. Magic!!! Attached the ioreg of an all working system!!
Woohoo, what a story! Good you didn’t gave up!

… oh and sorry about the Windows advice, I thought you were still fighting with the fried board! Anyway, being able to boot Windows is for me, a way to verify that hardware is ok as Hacking could make any hardware appearing dead (USB, audio interfaces, cameras, etc… even hard disks!).

Woohoo, what a story! Good you didn’t gave up!

… oh and sorry about the Windows advice, I thought you were still fighting with the fried board! Anyway, being able to boot Windows is for me, a way to verify that hardware is ok as Hacking could make any hardware appearing dead (USB, audio interfaces, cameras, etc… even hard disks!).
Ah yeah, the issue is in Window's Thunderbolt ports also didn't work. I don't know what happened to the chip ATM. It's next to me on the desk waiting for experimentation. Best case is that the contents inside are erased.

There is one new issue though @CaseySJ, after I got the Thunderbolt and FireWire interface to work together, the new problem is, in a session on logic where I use my aggregate audio device - containing both cards, USB ports randomly stop working altogether. Like all ports on the computer, maybe except the internal WiFi + BT port. So then my keyboard and my mouse no longer work, the computer goes to sleep, and I have to basically hold the power button to shut down the computer. If I reboot, instead of shutting down, on the reboot, the interfaces that are connected to the Thunderbolt ports are not seen. Any ideas why this might be?

Back