Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,

I follow your guide since ealry 2019 and this is my first post!

I work with Davinci Resolve Studio 18.1.4. Folders are not listed in the Media Page of Resolve, however disks are visible in the Media Storage list, and files can be dragged & dropped in Media Pool from Finder.

- Folders from system disks are properly listed, same with external disks.
- Folders are properly listed when starting with an older system disk, with identical specifications.

Update 3rd January 2024:

Install of different versions of Resolve and macOS (even Montery) did not solve my problem.
Please note that Blackmagic desktop video is installed (it adds several drivers).

What is possibly different in my older system disk I cannot replicate in my newly installed system disk?

Please find attached some screenshots to illustrate my problem. Please ask any further detail about my config.

Happy new year & thank you for your help!

(Big Sur 11.7.10, Opencore 0.9.2 EFI #37,681, BIOS F9i modified #34,988, Flashed SPI ROM, CFG-Unlock)

Hi,

I did a series of additional search and this situation is now a bit less confusing.

Nevertheless I still cannot make folders visible in Media Page of the latest Davinci Resolve Studio, with some variations:

- Versions of Resolve before 17.3.2 (at least from 16.2.8 to 17.3.2 included): folders are correctly shown in Media Page.
- Newer versions of Resolve from 17.4 onwards - even if updated from previous versions - : folders are not shown in Media Page whereas they should.
- This behavior is unchanged amongst Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey (fresh install with same EFI) (other versions not tested).
- Strangely, original Big Sur 11.6.2 system disk with Resolve 18.1.4 shows folders in Media Page...

Does anyone know which change* brought by Resolve 17.4 onwards could cause this problem?
What makes this original & functional Big Sur 11.6.2 system disk different from fresh install?

Any clue?

*https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/media/release/20211022-01

Last edited:
Still running Catalina on Z390 Designare with Broadcom WiFi. Some programs won't update anymore, so I need to upgrade OSX. Should I update to Ventura or Sonoma? And what is a good post for a fresh install?

Still running Catalina on Z390 Designare with Broadcom WiFi. Some programs won't update anymore, so I need to upgrade OSX. Should I update to Ventura or Sonoma? And what is a good post for a fresh install?
Ventura would be better

post 1 has all the info you need

Everything went well except that I do not have any audio from the Line Out/Front Speaker Out.
Any idea what might have happened ?
Thanks.
This is affected by AppleALC layout-id. We use the boot argument alcid=x where x is typically 11.

Sonoma does not support Broadcom WiFi so perhaps it's better to start with Ventura. Simply make a full bootable backup (see this guide), then upgrade OpenCore to latest version (see this guide), then boot back into Catalina to make sure OpenCore works, then perform an in-place upgrade to Ventura.

Hi,

I did a series of additional search and this situation is now a bit less confusing.

Nevertheless I still cannot make folders visible in Media Page of the latest Davinci Resolve Studio, with some variations:

- Versions of Resolve before 17.3.2 (at least from 16.2.8 to 17.3.2 included): folders are correctly shown in Media Page.
- Newer versions of Resolve from 17.4 onwards - even if updated from previous versions - : folders are not shown in Media Page whereas they should.
- This behavior is unchanged amongst Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey (fresh install with same EFI) (other versions not tested).
- Strangely, original Big Sur 11.6.2 system disk with Resolve 18.1.4 shows folders in Media Page...

Does anyone know which change* brought by Resolve 17.4 onwards could cause this problem?
What makes this original & functional Big Sur 11.6.2 system disk different from fresh install?

Any clue?

*https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/media/release/20211022-01
It sounds like a folder permissions issue. Did you get a prompt when installing asking for folder access? It's often managed via System Settings<Security & Privacy.

It sounds like a folder permissions issue. Did you get a prompt when installing asking for folder access? It's often managed via System Settings<Security & Privacy.
You are right.

I did not get a prompt for disk access when installing DaVinci Resolve.

Folders remain invisible in "Media Page" even if I add DaVinci Resolve to System Settings<Security & Privacy<Privacy<Full disk access.

I noticed my original Big Sur system disk (the one on which DaVinci Resolve shows folders in "Media Page") is different from fresh installed system disks: Settings<Security & Privacy<Privacy<Files and Folder is populated.

"Unable to find media" is the message I obtain when I drag an drop a file directly from Finder (from an invisible folder in Resolve) in "Media Page". However the exact same file can be added to Media Pool.

How comes Settings<Security & Privacy<Privacy<Files and Folder behaves differently between my original system disk and fresh install system disk?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 14.42.32.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 14.42.32.png
    488.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 11.15.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 11.15.41.png
    386.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 22.39.01.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-01-11 à 22.39.01.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Which BIOS version are you running? You could try to flash the BIOS again as a last resort. Quite strange however!
Thanks for the feedback. Over the last several days I have tried different BIOSs (f9i, f9j, and f9) and EFI configurations. Everything else is fine but my Thunderbolt ports will not come back up. I have an Presonus Quantum audio interface that flashes a blue light when connecting to the computer. I notice the light flashes blue a few times early on in the startup process so it seems the hardware itself is fine. I am not sure what to try next...

Thank you for your help!

Back