Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ, I found the culprit of the crashes during the sleep since the installation of Sonoma.

I started from the sleeplog and noted this line which appeared every time: "Failure during sleep: SAT0(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState". This reminded me of the internal DVD drive, which has always been in place without causing any problems. When I unplugged it, there were no more crashes. It seems that nobody is supposed to have an internal DVD drive anymore according to Apple, which is probably true enough. I guess I'll just have to buy an external drive, since bare cases cost more than drives, which is pretty absurd.

I hope my misadventure will be of use to the few who still have a player like me and would like to switch to Sonoma. Thanks again, without the sleeplog, I'd probably still be looking.
I‘ve experienced a similar thing since trying Ventura and Sonoma on my second hack (Dell XPS 8930) and I guess that by disconnecting the DVD drive, like you did, it would probably get rid of « computer not responding » after sleep (really random but annoying).

Good job!

Who knew that an internal DVD drive would cause such problems... I wonder if this is limited to certain models. What is the make/model of yours?
I would venture that a real iMacPro1,1 isn’t expecting a DVD drive in my case… More an SMBIOS thing I guess ( since Ventura ).

I use SMBIOS of the MacPro 7.1 and it hasn't prevented any crashes, by the way the real MacPro 7.1 can't accommodate an internal DVD drive because of its casing. It even seems to me that no Sonoma-compatible Mac could accommodate an internal optical drive, which makes it logical, albeit a pity, for Apple to abandon support for such drives.
I don't know much about it, but the logs gave me the impression that the system was waiting for the optical drive to behave like a hard disk during sleep, which of course couldn't happen. Strangely enough, crashes were almost systematic but, from time to time, sleep went well.
In any case, I'm glad I was able to keep Sonoma, as I finally gained HDR and VRR.

I use SMBIOS of the MacPro 7.1 and it hasn't prevented any crashes, by the way the real MacPro 7.1 can't accommodate an internal DVD drive because of its casing. It even seems to me that no Sonoma-compatible Mac could accommodate an internal optical drive, which makes it logical, albeit a pity, for Apple to abandon support for such drives.
I don't know much about it, but the logs gave me the impression that the system was waiting for the optical drive to behave like a hard disk during sleep, which of course couldn't happen. Strangely enough, crashes were almost systematic but, from time to time, sleep went well.
In any case, I'm glad I was able to keep Sonoma, as I finally gained HDR and VRR.
Ditto for me since Ventura: sleep mostly goes well on my Dell... until it black-outs! I've searched the web about it and found a reference of some boot logs about it!

Code:
[AHCI][PRT][00170050] AbortCommands::5382:Port 5 - called, deviceWithError 0, errCode = 0xe0030005

It would be unusual though not impossible for an OpenCore update to impact Thunderbolt connectivity. Let's first try setting BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> to -> Boot Once
Sorry for the bad news but my Thunderbolt stopped working again...this time setting Boot Once does not fix it. I am not sure why. I am using the same EFI settings. Could the latest Sonoma 14.2.1 update caused an issue? Thank you!

Sorry for the bad news but my Thunderbolt stopped working again...this time setting Boot Once does not fix it. I am not sure why. I am using the same EFI settings. Could the latest Sonoma 14.2.1 update caused an issue? Thank you!
Which BIOS version are you running? You could try to flash the BIOS again as a last resort. Quite strange however!

Well, as expected the unexpected happened.

I’ve installed another nvme in my MB to clone my system but I cannot boot anymore.
Now the system freeze after a while (generally around 1/3 of the Apple logo but sometimes right at the user password).

I tried these fixes without luck
  • remove the new nvme
  • Remove all the SSD/HDD from the MB
  • Reset BIOS
  • Reset NVRAM
Now I have put everything back in place as it was but still stuck after 1/3.

As I didn’t change anything I don’t understand how to fix this.

Help me Caseyone Kenobi, you’re my only hope!

Well, as expected the unexpected happened.

I’ve installed another nvme in my MB to clone my system but I cannot boot anymore.
Now the system freeze after a while (generally around 1/3 of the Apple logo but sometimes right at the user password).

I tried these fixes without luck
  • remove the new nvme
  • Remove all the SSD/HDD from the MB
  • Reset BIOS
  • Reset NVRAM
Now I have put everything back in place as it was but still stuck after 1/3.

As I didn’t change anything I don’t understand how to fix this.

Help me Caseyone Kenobi, you’re my only hope!
Hello @Itshuta

First thing to do is enable verbose boot log by pressing and releasing CMD-V at the OpenCore boot picker. Then boot macOS. When the log messages stop scrolling, post a photo of the screen.

To remove location information from your photo, upload the photo to https://jimpl.com and select the option to remove EXIF metadata.

Thanks @CaseySJ.
Log_0601_1323.jpg

Back