Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ - apologies, I have been away on business for the last 9 days. I will check this today and run the test. I have the Z390 board installed, did that already have Intel WiFi on it?
The Designare Z390 comes with an Intel WiFi/BT module preinstalled in an M.2 (CNVi) slot. The config.plist I posted should be able to enable it.

Running into another bit of a hiccup here.

I've copied my config.plist that's booting perfectly off of the USB (still has your UUID and serials on) and I've copied it over to my old NVMe (the new one is not installed yet). I then open the EFI partition and then put in my old system name, System serial number, System UUID, MLB, ROM and even processortype.

I then get this error (attached)
These warnings will appear if the wrong version of OpenCore Configurator (OCC) is used. Remember that each version of OCC supports only 2 versions of OpenCore. Simply look at the title bar of OCC to see which version of OpenCore is being supported.
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.08.21 AM.png

Also remember that only one EFI partition should be mounted at a time when using OCC.

These warnings will appear if the wrong version of OpenCore Configurator (OCC) is used. Remember that each version of OCC supports only 2 versions of OpenCore. Simply look at the title bar of OCC to see which version of OpenCore is being supported.
View attachment 576188
Also remember that only one EFI partition should be mounted at a time when using OCC.

So should I have not done what I did in terms of just replacing the entire EFI folder from my USB onto the SSD?
I'm a bit confused as to what I should be putting into consideration when looking at the OCC. Mines a 0.9.6 but should that interfere with me putting in my old serials?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 6.28.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 6.28.45 AM.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 6
So should I have not done what I did in terms of just replacing the entire EFI folder from my USB onto the SSD?
I'm a bit confused as to what I should be putting into consideration when looking at the OCC. Mines a 0.9.6 but should that interfere with me putting in my old serials?
I think it's best for me to step away and give you some room to figure it out for yourself. All of this is very basic. You may be overthinking it.

I'm not saying this to be mean-spirited, but when things start to go in circles it is best to stop the cycle. Simply have a look at my build guide for Asus Z690 ProArt Creator, which provides an overview and explains many of the basics.

We can start a new thread under one of the Desktop Support forums if questions remain.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.48.07 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.18.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.19.21 AM.png

I think it's best for me to step away and give you some room to figure it out for yourself. All of this is very basic. You may be overthinking it.

I'm not saying this to be mean-spirited, but when things start to go in circles it is best to stop the cycle. Simply have a look at my build guide for Asus Z690 ProArt Creator, which provides an overview and explains many of the basics.

We can start a new thread under one of the Desktop Support forums if questions remain.

View attachment 576193

View attachment 576191

View attachment 576192
It just seems like its a problem with one thing but ends up being something else that I can't seem to wrap my head around. Like I seem to have the latest version of OCC from what I gathered online, and I don't know if you're implying that I do or not?

I maybe overthinking it, and I'll dig a bit more on my own. And I appreciate all your help to this point.

Running into another bit of a hiccup here.

I've copied my config.plist that's booting perfectly off of the USB (still has your UUID and serials on) and I've copied it over to my old NVMe (the new one is not installed yet). I then open the EFI partition and then put in my old system name, System serial number, System UUID, MLB, ROM and even processortype.

I then get this error (attached)

EDIT:
I just copied over the entire EFI folder and it booted off of the NVMe just fine... a bit skeptical to update the serials and UUID...thoughts?
Selecting the right platform id is important when using Mojave.
Also:

My Hackintosh started freezing after booting (Sonoma, BIOS 9i). I searched this thread before posting the message.
I haven't changed anything recently (no new kexts, hardware, other upgrades). The system used to work fine until it didn't.
Things I've tried (that didn't help resolving the issue):
1. Reset NVRAM
2. Boot into recovery and run First Aid
3. Boot into backed up Catalina on a separate drive - it worked fine (ran First Aid there too just in case)
4. Restart/hard restart/turn off the machine many times (obviously)

PS. I have Windows on a separate drive that I can boot from OpenCore - it works fine, no issues.
Any ideas or suggestions? Like I mentioned, I've made no changes to the system whatsoever, no I have no idea what happened or how to fix this.

PPS. I think that I saw this happening the first time after I sent my machine to Sleep from Windows; then when after a few hours I "woke" the machine and tried loading Sonoma from OC bootloader, that's when the "disaster struck".

Last edited:
My Hackintosh started freezing after booting (Sonoma, BIOS 9i). I searched this thread before posting the message.
I haven't changed anything recently (no new kexts, hardware, other upgrades). The system used to work fine until it didn't.
Things I've tried (that didn't help resolving the issue):
1. Reset NVRAM
2. Boot into recovery and run First Aid
3. Boot into backed up Catalina on a separate drive - it worked fine (ran First Aid there too just in case)
4. Restart/hard restart/turn off the machine many times (obviously)

PS. I have Windows on a separate drive that I can boot from OpenCore - it works fine, no issues.
Any ideas or suggestions? Like I mentioned, I've made no changes to the system whatsoever, no I have no idea what happened or how to fix this.

PPS. I think that I saw this happening the first time after I sent my machine to Sleep from Windows; then when after a few hours I "woke" the machine and tried loading Sonoma from OC bootloader, that's when the "disaster struck".
I've had that happen using MacOS and Sleep. Turns out that the freezing was just from the CPU overheating because sometimes the fans won't spin-up after waking from sleep.

Having a weird hang when trying to access an external NVMe drive, via USB caddy (C to A, not C to C but proper cable), that has a bootable backup of Mojave on it. It is partitioned and half the drive is OS, other half is Home directory. It basically hangs finder and disk utility until physically disconnected - IF I mount the Home partition, NOT if I just mount OS side. As it is a bootable Mojave system drive I don't generally need to access to it from the new Ventura install but it has made cherry picking data to port a little tricky - I can only do so from Mojave, not from Ventura. I also get a warning about an unspecified drive not being compatible with the OS when booting into Mojave. I have my suspicions that something has gone awry in Bios somewhere.

Last edited:
I've had that happen using MacOS and Sleep. Turns out that the freezing was just from the CPU overheating because sometimes the fans won't spin-up after waking from sleep.
Thanks for the reply, but that's not my issue. My hackintosh freezes from cold boot (after being shut down) in less then a minute, not after waking up from sleep. Also I have a clear case, and I can see all 3 fans spinning normally.

Back