Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ , I've been reading your guide for some time, just yesterday I got my hands on a Z390 Designare with Big Sur and Opencore 0.9.7
They have installed the latest F9 BIOS and Thunderbolt seems to have some problems. What I ask you is:

1. The Thunderbolt OWC Enclosure NVMe is detected for 3 minutes and then disconnects...advice? I think it's a bios problem
The OWC NVMe enclosure should work reliably with F9. Please download and run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File -> Save As...). Also make this change to BIOS:

BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> Boot Once

2. Do you think I can downgrade the BIOS even if the official website says it's not possible, after installing version 9?
3. To downgrade do I have to flash via EFIFLASH?

This is why I don't recommend BIOS F9 (because it's a "capsule" BIOS that cannot be downgraded). However, let's put this on hold for now. There are other troubleshooting steps we should take first.

4. Can you link me to the latest modded and working bios for this card? If I understand correctly this also enabled something on the Thunderbolt port, right?
The link is in the spoiler at the top of Post 1 called Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides:

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 5.29.06 AM.png

5. Will using the modified firmware maintain compatibility and functionality under Windows? So will Thunderbolt continue to work under Windows?
Are you referring to BIOS or Thunderbolt firmware? For NVMe SSDs we typically do not need to modify Thunderbolt firmware.

No, not quite. There are 2 separate options, but your sentence above suggests that the 2 options are being mixed together. Here are the 2 separate option. We should choose one or the other, not both.

Option 1:
  • Does not use Migration Assistant
  • Does not use Carbon Copy Cloner
  • In this option we do a fresh install of Big Sur on the new disk
  • Then we use Finder to copy our "user" directory to the new disk as shown here:
View attachment 576123
  • Then we manually reinstall all of our third-party applications and enter their license codes (if needed) to activate them
  • This option will not work if user directory on original Big Sur disk is corrupted

Option 2:
  • This uses Migration Assistant
  • In this option we also do a fresh install of Big Sur on the new disk
  • Then we use Migration Assistant to copy both Applications and User Data to the new disk
  • This option will not work if Applications folder on original disk is corrupted

Please post screenshot

Does this seem right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 6.24.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 6.24.22 PM.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 15
I've been running Sonoma on my hackintosh smoothly (apart from missing Airdrop) for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I've updated to the latest 14.2 version and since then I noticed a process called transparencyd running non stop.
It can be closed via Activity Monitor but I wonder if that's gonna cause any problems in the long run.
Anyone else have encountered this?

View attachment 576016
Same story here - after the 14.2 update, the transparencyd process starts loading the CPU at 102%. I tried to find any solutions by Googling, but I had no luck. :(

Does this seem right?
Yes that is correct. The first Applications folder is available to all users, but the second Applications folder is available only to your account.

Yes that is correct. The first Applications folder is available to all users, but the second Applications folder is available only to your account.
I see, so I should be good?

Install the backup SATA SSD into the USB 3 SSD enclosure and connect it to an available USB 3.x port.

Option 1:
  • Does not use Migration Assistant
  • In this option we do a fresh install of Big Sur on the new disk
  • Then we use Finder to copy our "user" directory to the new disk as shown here:
Should I go with option 1 here?

I see, so I should be good?
Does the main Applications folder contain all the apps? Or is it empty?

Also, are all of your files present in your username folder?

If so, then you’re good to start.

Should I go with option 1 here?
Option 1 is less convenient but I think it is the best option.

I would also strongly suggest downloading latest versions of your applications and installing those because they should be compatible with the new version of macOS.

Does the main Applications folder contain all the apps? Or is it empty?

Also, are all of your files present in your username folder?

If so, then you’re good to start.

Option 1 is less convenient but I think it is the best option.

I would also strongly suggest downloading latest versions of your applications and installing those because they should be compatible with the new version of macOS.
The main application folder contains all the appS and all the files are present in my user folder.

I am picking up a new NVMe after work today.
Just to be sure, I should:
- install the NVMe on the 2nd slot of my MB
- do a fresh install of Mojave on it using my USB that I’ve been booting off of.
- Copy the new EFI folder into the new SSD
- Copy all the contents of my old user directory into my NEW user directory?

The main application folder contains all the appS and all the files are present in my user folder.
That’s a good sign.

I am picking up a new NVMe after work today.
Just to be sure, I should:
- install the NVMe on the 2nd slot of my MB
- do a fresh install of Mojave on it using my USB that I’ve been booting off of.
- Copy the new EFI folder into the new SSD
Yes, correct.

Then reboot the system, enter BIOS Setup, go to the BOOT section of BIOS and select the new SSD as Boot Priority #1. Then save and exit BIOS Setup.

Now reboot and check that OpenCore starts up by default. Select the new Mojave disk to boot from.

- Copy all the contents of my old user directory into my NEW user directory?
Now copy all the contents of old user directory (old SSD) into new user directory (new SSD).

And finally, install third-party applications by re-downloading them just to make sure you have the latest versions.

That’s a good sign.

Yes, correct.

Then reboot the system, enter BIOS Setup, go to the BOOT section of BIOS and select the new SSD as Boot Priority #1. Then save and exit BIOS Setup.

Now reboot and check that OpenCore starts up by default. Select the new Mojave disk to boot from.

Now copy all the contents of old user directory (old SSD) into new user directory (new SSD).

And finally, install third-party applications by re-downloading them just to make sure you have the latest versions.
Running into another bit of a hiccup here.

I've copied my config.plist that's booting perfectly off of the USB (still has your UUID and serials on) and I've copied it over to my old NVMe (the new one is not installed yet). I then open the EFI partition and then put in my old system name, System serial number, System UUID, MLB, ROM and even processortype.

I then get this error (attached)

EDIT:
I just copied over the entire EFI folder and it booted off of the NVMe just fine... a bit skeptical to update the serials and UUID...thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Some questions:
  • In Sonoma, Broadcom WiFi will not work. Do you still have the original Intel CNVW M.2 card installed?
    • If so, would you like to use Intel WiFi/BT in Sonoma?
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
    • I have temporarily disabled NVMeFix.kext just in case
Please try attached config.plist after copying serial numbers back into PlatformInfo -> DataHub.

Also, which version of BIOS is installed? Is it F9i?
Hi @CaseySJ - apologies, I have been away on business for the last 9 days. I will check this today and run the test. I have the Z390 board installed, did that already have Intel WiFi on it?

Yes, BIOS is F9i.

Thanks

Back