Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I just tried it on my Z390 Designare -- no issues installing Monterey.

View attachment 575068

Because you have a Samsung NVMe SSD, let's change SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 like this:
View attachment 575069
Also have a look at this overview from the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G build guide:

View attachment 575070

Trying this again now with updated kernel

When it says pick the internal macOS SSD (11 & 16) would that be 'Monterey2023' in my case? I just have so many options out so I just wanna make sure its hitting the right one.

ALSO should I reformat the additional volume (Monterey2023) before reinstalling this process.

I'll be gone for two weeks starting tomorrow for work so hopefully it gets back up running at least tonight.

UPDATE: I on the volume question- I just deleted the volume and just re-added it.

Last edited:
Trying this again now with updated kernel

When it says pick the internal macOS SSD (11 & 16) would that be 'Monterey2023' in my case? I just have so many options out so I just wanna make sure its hitting the right one.
Yes, but the computer will select the right disk automatically. Just let the system boot the auto-selected disk by itself.

ALSO should I reformat the additional volume (Monterey2023) before reinstalling this process.
Yes, just select the Monterey internal volume in Disk Utility and “erase” it.

Yes, but the computer will select the right disk automatically. Just let the system boot the auto-selected disk by itself.

Yes, just select the Monterey internal volume in Disk Utility and “erase” it.

Okay. I got it to work and boot! What's the best way to copy this EFI over?
Should I mount the partition from USB and my SSD while I'm on Monterey and basically copy and paste? Then reboot off the SSD?

Okay. I got it to work and boot!
Hallelujah! :)

Should I mount the partition from USB and my SSD while I'm on Monterey and basically copy and paste? Then reboot off the SSD?
Yes, just mount both EFI partitions, and copy the entire EFI folder from USB to internal NVMe SSD. Then eject USB, and reboot normally from internal disk.

Hallelujah! :)

Yes, just mount both EFI partitions, and copy the entire EFI folder from USB to internal NVMe SSD. Then eject USB, and reboot normally from internal disk.

I won’t need to do any migrant assistance work or anything, correct?

Also should I switch all the serials to the ones I used to have? We stripped a lot from my old EFI so I should add those back in right? I guess the serial and the 5700xt are the only ones that come to mind.

Lastly, I compared the EFI from USB from the internal SSD (Monterey2023) and the serial seems to be the same? Shouldn’t it be my last one with my old serial comparative to your temp ones we used? Or should I look past this and just completely replace it with the one within the USB?

I just wanna make sure I’m not replacing the EFI from the Monterey2023 volume. And also when/how do I delete this volume?

Last edited:
I won’t need to do any migrant assistance work or anything, correct?
Migration Assistant is needed in order to transfer applications and data from the old Big Sur system. You can also do this manually:
  1. Reinstall all of your applications -- you'll need the installer files (some apps can also be dragged-and-dropped from old Applications folder to new Applications folder)
  2. Copy all of your files from your user directory on old system; this can be done using Finder drag-and-drop
Migration Assistant does both of this for you, but it can also copy problematic files that could cause problems. My recommendation would be to perform steps (1) and (2) manually.

Also should I switch all the serials to the ones I used to have? We stripped a lot from my old EFI so I should add those back in right? I guess the serial and the 5700xt are the only ones that come to mind.
We can add boot argument agdpmod=pikera to support the 5700XT.

Lastly, I compared the EFI from USB from the internal SSD (Monterey2023) and the serial seems to be the same? Shouldn’t it be my last one with my old serial comparative to your temp ones we used?
If the serial numbers are the same, then most likely you did not use the latest EFI folder I provided (which has temporarily serial numbers).

VERY IMPORTANT:
  • If you are using OpenCore Configurator to check serial numbers, do not mount both EFI partitions at the same time!! If you do this, OpenCore Configurator will not be able to distinguish between the two partitions.
  • Always mount only 1 EFI partition when using OpenCore Configurator
  • To copy EFI folder from one partition to another using Finder, we can mount both EFI partitions at the same time; this is the only time when both of them can be mounted

I just wanna make sure I’m not replacing the EFI from the Monterey2023 volume. And also when/how do I delete this volume?
No need to delete Monterey -- this can be the new system

Hi all, I just upgraded my GPU to an RX 580 - was previously spoofing an RX550, and I'm trying to get DRM working.

I read somewhere that unfairgva=4 doesn't work with iMac 19,1 which is my current SMBIOS.

Whats the reccomended SMBIOS to use at the moment for a z390 + i5-9600K + RX580?

I'd also appreciate it if someone could have a look over my config.plist (serial removed) for anything amiss. I'm on sonoma 14.1.1 and using intel WiFi (though I'm considering switching back to the fenvi and using OCLP for Airdrop). There's been a lot of updates and changes and I'm not sure I'm keeping on top of it all . Plus, it's sometimes hard to find the latest and most up-to-date info in this mega thread!

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi all, I just upgraded my GPU to an RX 580 - was previously spoofing an RX550, and I'm trying to get DRM working.

I read somewhere that unfairgva=4 doesn't work with iMac 19,1 which is my current SMBIOS.

Whats the reccomended SMBIOS to use at the moment for a z390 + i5-9600K + RX580?

I'd also appreciate it if someone could have a look over my config.plist (serial removed) for anything amiss. I'm on sonoma 14.1.1 and using intel WiFi (though I'm considering switching back to the fenvi and using OCLP for Airdrop). There's been a lot of updates and changes and I'm not sure I'm keeping on top of it all . Plus, it's sometimes hard to find the latest and most up-to-date info in this mega thread!
I'm using unfairgva=4 with product name iMac19,1 on my Z390 Designare running Sonoma.
  • AppleTV+ works
  • Netflix in Firefox works
  • Apple Music works
Have you tried using unfairgva=4?

I'm using unfairgva=4 with product name iMac19,1 on my Z390 Designare running Sonoma.
  • AppleTV+ works
  • Netflix in Firefox works
  • Apple Music works
Have you tried using unfairgva=4?
Yeah, I'm using unfairgva=4.

Actually, it does partially seem to be working.

I don't have apple music or tv accounts but free episode works with apple TV. Disney+ is working on safari (I had to get a friend to log in). I was hoping for Netflix on Safari as thats what we watch most. With Netflix I just get a message about silverlight which doesn't make much sense as Safari should be HTML 5 capable.

Yeah, I'm using unfairgva=4.

Actually, it does partially seem to be working.

I don't have apple music or tv accounts but free episode works with apple TV. Disney+ is working on safari (I had to get a friend to log in). I was hoping for Netflix on Safari as thats what we watch most. With Netflix I just get a message about silverlight which doesn't make much sense as Safari should be HTML 5 capable.
Just use Firefox for Netflix.

Back