Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi folks, thought this forum would be the best one to ask a question about Alpine Ridge and an Apple TB Display. I have a flashed Alpine Ridge card which works flawlessly with an Apple Thunderbolt Display on Sonoma 14.1 with fully working wifi/handoff/Ethernet, USB etc. using OCLP. The display works perfectly, but requires a cold boot to initialize the display. One initialized I can restart so that I can see the bios / picker and therefore load Windows 11 and launching TB works well enough to use Windows for my main business stuff.

My question is ...Does anyone know if the wake from sleep issue has any solutions? A simple Yes or No would do - happy to trawl the site if I know of anyone who got wake from sleep working on an Apple Thunderbolt Display using a modded Alpine Ridge 2.

Just ignore my last question about sleep. Seems now my Thunderbolt Display wakes from sleep. Perhaps the OCLP worked because this has been a bugbear for ages.

And I should install Monterey onto this disk.
I'm double checking everything so I don't screw it up again. lol!
Yes, this is correct. Even though there’s less than 60GB free, we can install into this volume anyway. When the new SSD arrives we can install Monterey from scratch on the new disk. And use Migration Assistant to copy apps and files to new disk.

But first let’s just get Monterey installed into the new APFS volume.

Yes, this is correct. Even though there’s less than 60GB free, we can install into this volume anyway. When the new SSD arrives we can install Monterey from scratch on the new disk. And use Migration Assistant to copy apps and files to new disk.

But first let’s just get Monterey installed into the new APFS volume.

When this is installing, do I need to make sure it boots onto the USB everytime or should I let it boot into the SSD since its technically writing onto the extra volume we just created?

When this is installing, do I need to make sure it boots onto the USB everytime or should I let it boot into the SSD since its technically writing onto the extra volume we just created?
On every reboot we must boot from USB by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen. The new EFI Folder (on USB) is needed on every boot.

Once Monterey is installed and tested, we can then copy the EFI Folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of Samsung EVO 970 internal drive. Then we no longer need USB.

On every reboot we must boot from USB by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen. The new EFI Folder (on USB) is needed on every boot.

Once Monterey is installed and tested, we can then copy the EFI Folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of Samsung EVO 970 internal drive. Then we no longer need USB.

So I nursed this thing as it was installing. It goes to black then the Gigabyte splash screen comes on, and I got it to boot from the USB. It takes me to the Boot menu, then goes black, and now its installing....does that sound right? Is this gonna boot 3 more times?

What do I need to be selecting when the boot menu comes up?

Attachments

• IMG_9858.JPG
    IMG_9858.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So I nursed this thing as it was installing. It goes to black then the gigabyte splash screen comes on and I got it to boot from the USB. It takes me to the Boot menu then goes black and now its installing....does that sound right? Is this gonna boot 3 more times?

Also it just finished and gave me this...I couldnt catch the reboot the first time so I went back to disk utility, reformatted the AFPS Monterey2023 then installed onto the same disk. Caught the reboot, and launched from the USB, then everything happened from what I mentioned above and finally got this (attached)

Attachments

• IMG_9859.JPG
    IMG_9859.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
macOS will automatically choose the boot disk. We should just press F12 to boot from USB. When OpenCore boot menu appears, the correct disk will already be selected. So don't select anything. One of the disks will start automatically.

Also it just finished and gave me this...I couldnt catch the reboot the first time so I went back to disk utility, reformatted the AFPS Monterey2023 then installed onto the same disk. Caught the reboot, and launched from the USB, then everything happened from what I mentioned above and finally got this (attached)
I’ll try the entire Monterey installation on my Z390 Designare. I am not sure why you’re seeing “macOS Update Assistant”.

macOS will automatically choose the boot disk. We should just press F12 to boot from USB. When OpenCore boot menu appears, the correct disk will already be selected. So don't select anything. One of the disks will start automatically.

I’ll try the entire Monterey installation on my Z390 Designare. I am not sure why you’re seeing “macOS Update Assistant”.
Yeah the second time I did it correctly, I got an error.
The first time when I let it boot on its own onto the SSD, I came back home to it fine but did it again, thinking it booted incorrectly.

Yeah the second time I did it correctly, I got an error.
The first time when I let it boot on its own onto the SSD, I came back home to it fine but did it again, thinking it booted incorrectly.
I just tried it on my Z390 Designare -- no issues installing Monterey.

IMG_1510 Large.jpeg

Because you have a Samsung NVMe SSD, let's change SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 like this:
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 2.56.35 PM.png

Also have a look at this overview from the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G build guide:

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 2.55.19 PM.png

Back