Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You did that correctly.
  • Which GPU is the monitor connected to?
  • How many monitors are connected?
  • How many NVMe SSDs are installed in the system?
    • Big Sur is on Samsung EVO 970
    • If there are other NVMe SSDs, what are their model names?
Next step would be to create a new Big Sur install disk. If that also fails to remain stable after booting up, we may have to consider replacing the Samsung EVO 970 with a new NVMe SSD such as WD SN5xx or SN7xx. Crucial NVMe SSDs are also good, as are those by Silicon Power and several others. Just avoid Samsung.

GPU is RX 580
two mointors are on it via HDMI & DP
Only 1 NVMe EVO 970 in the system.

I'm trying to follow the guide to build a new USB and I got stuck on this (pic attached)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 6.10.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 6.10.07 PM.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 7
GPU is RX 580
two mointors are on it via HDMI & DP
Only 1 NVMe EVO 970 in the system.

I'm trying to follow the guide to build a new USB and I got stuck on this (pic attached)
I would disconnect one of the two monitors.

Regarding gibMacOS, which Mac are you running it on? Which version of macOS is installed on it?

I would disconnect one of the two monitors.

Regarding gibMacOS, which Mac are you running it on? Which version of macOS is installed on it?

You want me to try again with just one monitor?

Im running Big Sur 11.6.1 on this laptop

You want me to try again with just one monitor?
Might as well try.

Im running Big Sur 11.6.1 on this laptop
It is an Apple MacBook or a Hackintosh? Is it fully backed up?

The more I think about it, the more I feel we need to remove the Samsung EVO 970. Then try the Big Sur installer to see if it is stable.

Also, if the RX580 has a switch that toggles between Silent and OC (over clock) modes, set it to Silent. We can also remove the RX580 and connect monitor via HDMI port on rear IO of motherboard.

Also check if BIOS -> IO Ports -> Internal Graphics is set to Enabled or Auto. It should be set to Enables.

Last edited:
Might as well try.

It is an Apple MacBook or a Hackintosh? Is it fully backed up?

The more I think about it, the more I feel we need to remove the Samsung EVO 970. Then try the Big Sur installer to see if it is stable.

Also, if the RX580 has a switch that toggles between Silent and OC (over clock) modes, set it to Silent. We can also remove the RX580 and connect monitor via HDMI port on rear IO of motherboard.

Also check if BIOS -> IO Ports -> Internal Graphics is set to Enabled or Auto. It should be set to Enables.
Didn’t really work with the monitor out.

It’s an apple MacBook.

Well if I am booting the system off the USB shouldn’t the EVO 970 technically be bypassed? I dont mind trying it but just trying to gauge the system pathways here.

Internal Graphics is enabled

I also just tried popping the HDMI into the motherboard and got no signal….?

Didn’t really work with the monitor out.

It’s an apple MacBook.

Well if I am booting the system off the USB shouldn’t the EVO 970 technically be bypassed? I dont mind trying it but just trying to gauge the system pathways here.
As long as the NVMe SSD is in the system, it will interact with macOS.

Internal Graphics is enabled

I also just tried popping the HDMI into the motherboard and got no signal….?
The config.plist activates on-board HDMI. To use it, should either remove RX580 or change BIOS -> Internal Graphics to use iGPU as first priority (instead of PCIe slot 1).

It would be unusual though not impossible for an OpenCore update to impact Thunderbolt connectivity. Let's first try setting BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> to -> Boot Once
Yes! That worked, you are a genius. Thank you!

As long as the NVMe SSD is in the system, it will interact with macOS.

The config.plist activates on-board HDMI. To use it, should either remove RX580 or change BIOS -> Internal Graphics to use iGPU as first priority (instead of PCIe slot 1).
Do you mean Initial Display Output - > IGFX?

Also thoughts on the github?

Do you mean Initial Display Output - > IGFX?
Correct

Also thoughts on the github?
You mean gibMacOS? I have never seen that error so I’m not sure what to suggest. Try downloading it again and double-click gibMacOS.command from the Finder to run it.

I’ll boot Big Sur later today and see if gibMacOS runs.

UPDATE:
  • gibMacOS was updated 4-5 days ago
    Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 4.57.45 AM.png
  • On Big Sur I also get the same error message:
    Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 5.00.40 AM.png
  • I've zipped an older version of gibMacOS (attached) that runs correctly. Please download and try this version.

Attachments

• gibMacOS-OLD-VERSION.zip
    552 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back