Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @luchina,

Unfortunately the rear USB Type C (Thunderbolt) connectors are not accepting USB 3.x devices for some reason. They will accept Thunderbolt devices including Thunderbolt docks that contain both USB 3.x Type A and Type C ports.
Nothing related to BIOS F9 or F9j? Is it a newer bug with more recent MacOS and/or OpenCore? Still working fine for me, Mojave, Clover 5156 and modded Elias F9i BIOS…

Interesting...
  • Because Big Sur installer starts up and then freezes, the problem now is something other than the EFI folder
  • We have typically observed these freezes in the following situations:
    • New version of BIOS -- we recommend F9g or F9i -- you may also try F9 from the Gigabyte website
      • All BIOS parameters must be configured correctly according to Post 1
    • Certain devices in the system. What devices are installed...
      • In USB ports?
      • In Thunderbolt ports?
      • In PCIe slots (other than GPU and WiFi/BT card)?
      • In internal USB 2.0 header?
    • Do you have any Corsair devices in the system?
      • If so, which ones?
  • Are all power cables securely connected?
    • Press all of them down to make sure

To enable verbose logs we press and release CMD-V.

I flashed the BIOS with F9i (which was linked in here) and redid all the parameters.
I just have my regular hard drives and scanner hooked up in the back USBs. I do have an extra RX 5700XT THICCIII Ultra cooked into one of the PCIs slots. Could that cause an issue?

I flashed the BIOS with F9i (which was linked in here) and redid all the parameters.
I just have my regular hard drives and scanner hooked up in the back USBs. I do have an extra RX 5700XT THICCIII Ultra cooked into one of the PCIs slots. Could that cause an issue?
The RX 5700 requires boot argument agdpmod=pikera -- otherwise there will be a blank screen. So let's try 2 options:

Option 1:

• Add agdpmod=pikera to boot arguments as shown
  • Reboot and see if macOS or the macOS installer boots up
Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 11.59.22 AM.png

Option 2:
  • Remove the RX 5700XT by shutting down the system and flipping power switch on PSU to OFF (or simply unplug from the wall)
    • Whenever we add or remove components on the motherboard we must fully disconnect power
    • After the change is made, we can plug it back into the wall or flip the PSU back to ON
    • This causes BIOS to properly re-scan the system for hardware changes
  • Then power up the system and see if macOS boots

Anyone having trouble getting Thunderbolt devices to connect? I have a z390, AMD Radeon VII, setup with a Presonus Quantum audio interface. Since upgrading to OC 0.9.6 I have not been able to get Thunderbolt to connect. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there is a fix for it.

Attached is my EFI (PlatformInfo serials hashed).

Thank you!

Attachments

• efi copy.zip
    61.4 MB · Views: 10
Anyone having trouble getting Thunderbolt devices to connect? I have a z390, AMD Radeon VII, setup with a Presonus Quantum audio interface. Since upgrading to OC 0.9.6 I have not been able to get Thunderbolt to connect. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there is a fix for it.

Attached is my EFI (PlatformInfo serials hashed).

Thank you!
It would be unusual though not impossible for an OpenCore update to impact Thunderbolt connectivity. Let's first try setting BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> to -> Boot Once

The RX 5700 requires boot argument agdpmod=pikera -- otherwise there will be a blank screen. So let's try 2 options:

Option 1:
  • Add agdpmod=pikera to boot arguments as shown
  • Reboot and see if macOS or the macOS installer boots up
View attachment 574885

Option 2:
  • Remove the RX 5700XT by shutting down the system andflipping power switch on PSU to OFF (or simply unplug from the wall)
    • Whenever we add or remove components on the motherboard we must fully disconnect power
    • After the change is made, we can plug it back into the wall or flip the PSU back to ON
    • This causes BIOS to properly re-scan the system for hardware changes
  • Then power up the system and see if macOS boots
Trying option 2:

As I was taking out the 5700, I realized my monitors were hooked up i into that GPU.

I still get the boot image failed line. Then it takes me to the boot menu.

The boot option from ‘bigsur_hackintosh’ still freezes. Install macOS yielded same results. I get to the macOS Recovery page. Then everything freezes.

Do I see need to hit space here before making either of these choices? Do I need to reset NVRAM again at all? Should I flash the BIOS again?

Trying option 2:

As I was taking out the 5700, I realized my monitors were hooked up i into that GPU.

I still get the boot image failed line. Then it takes me to the boot menu.

The boot option from ‘bigsur_hackintosh’ still freezes. Install macOS yielded same results. I get to the macOS Recovery page. Then everything freezes.

Do I see need to hit space here before making either of these choices? Do I need to reset NVRAM again at all? Should I flash the BIOS again?
Are you booting from the correct disk? We can check this by looking at the bottom right corner of OpenCore Boot Menu to see the version number. It will be REL-096-<date>

If the EFI folder is on a USB flash disk, we must press F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen and select USB disk from the BIOS Boot Menu. Then OpenCore Boot Menu for 0.9.6 will appear.

Are you booting from the correct disk? We can check this by looking at the bottom right corner of OpenCore Boot Menu to see the version number. It will be REL-096-<date>

If the EFI folder is on a USB flash disk, we must press F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen and select USB disk from the BIOS Boot Menu. Then OpenCore Boot Menu for 0.9.6 will appear.

The boot menus says REL-096-2023-11-06

I tried the Bigsur_hackintosh option again. The progress bar started going then it goes to black screen. Gigabyte splash screen comes back up. I let it boot and the same looking Boot menu is REL-076-2021-12-06, which I think I might have been booting from. But either way it takes me back to the boot menu.

I tried the install macOS from the REL-096 and same result. It freezes.

Attachments

• IMG_9818.jpeg
    IMG_9818.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
The boot menus says REL-096-2023-11-06

I tried the Bigsur_hackintosh option again. The progress bar started going then it goes to black screen. Gigabyte splash screen comes back up. I let it boot and the same looking Boot menu is REL-076-2021-12-06, which I think I might have been booting from. But either way it takes me back to the boot menu.

I tried the install macOS from the REL-096 and same result. It freezes.
Couple of questions:
  • Has the RX 5700XT been removed?
    • If it is still installed, has agdpmod=pikera been added to boot arguments?

Back