Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey folks - thinking of upgrading from Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur to Mac OC 13 Ventura.

Are there any precautions to consider, or will an upgrade from USB drive work okay?

Currently on OC 0.8.3

Thanks!

So assuming we lost our internal Intel CNVW wifi card. What would be the best working intel based card pcie card with working bluetooth?
If the internal CNVW WiFi module has been lost, one should be able to replace it with an AX211 (CNVio), but I've not tested this myself:

If you specifically want a PCIe add-in-card, any card with an Intel AX210 (WiFi 6) or AX211 (WiFi 6E) should work with OpenIntelWireless drivers.

Hey folks - thinking of upgrading from Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur to Mac OC 13 Ventura.

Are there any precautions to consider, or will an upgrade from USB drive work okay?

Currently on OC 0.8.3

Thanks!
I would suggest following the same strategy as @cl0nd0n has been following in the last 3-4 pages of this thread.

Hello, is "AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT" compatible with Ventura/Sonoma? I found a deal about it but first I would like to ask if it's difficult to make it work with my current build...
The short answer is yes; we can simply spoof the device ID of 6950 to 0x73BF.

If the internal CNVW WiFi module has been lost, one should be able to replace it with an AX211 (CNVio), but I've not tested this myself:

If you specifically want a PCIe add-in-card, any card with an Intel AX210 (WiFi 6) or AX211 (WiFi 6E) should work with OpenIntelWireless drivers.
So I did get the ax211 OKN WiFi Card 6E AX5400 PCIe WiFi Card Intel AX210 Chip Bluetooth 5.3 WPA3 11AX Tri Band Wireless Adapter with MU-MIMO, OFDMA, Ultra-Low Latency, Low-Profile Bracket, Supports Windows 11, 10 (64bit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X462KRK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Only the wifi works. Bluetooth is cannot be enabled. Unfortunately the antenna connectors came of my CNVW card and I can’t get them reconnected. ‍♂️ so not looking to waste anymore time on that frustration. Unless there’s a trick that’s not apparent to connect them.

So I did get the ax211 OKN WiFi Card 6E AX5400 PCIe WiFi Card Intel AX210 Chip Bluetooth 5.3 WPA3 11AX Tri Band Wireless Adapter with MU-MIMO, OFDMA, Ultra-Low Latency, Low-Profile Bracket, Supports Windows 11, 10 (64bit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X462KRK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Only the wifi works. Bluetooth is cannot be enabled. Unfortunately the antenna connectors came of my CNVW card and I can’t get them reconnected. ‍♂️ so not looking to waste anymore time on that frustration. Unless there’s a trick that’s not apparent to connect them.
Are the Intel Bluetooth kexts enabled in config.plist -> Kernel?

Are the Intel Bluetooth kexts enabled in config.plist -> Kernel?
Yep, followed the mini-guide… then variations enable and enable/disable HS14 and CNVW SSDT which probably doesn’t matter.

This is exactly why we strongly recommend backups! You did the right thing by making not one, but two copies.

If you are on BIOS F9g or F9i, then we can rule out BIOS and instead assert that one or more of the third party apps or drivers may be to blame.

I would undo the Sonoma installation by cloning your original disk back onto this copy. Then boot the copy, upgrade all third party apps and drivers, disable all login items and upgrade to Sonoma once more.

We can continue after that.
Hi @CaseySJ - followed your suggestion.... Made a clean new clone 'Big Sur Test Drive' - booted fine on old OC and EFI.

Removed all Login items, set all apps not to start at login, checked updates on everything. Booted fine.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Hackindrom - clicked and updated OC via Hackindrom - took it to 0.9.6. It does NOT like this.

Now when I select the drive from the Boot menu, I get this very different looking version of the OC book picker - select the Test Drive and it hangs on this screen.

IMG_5054.JPG

I have to manually shutdown from here.

Hi @CaseySJ - followed your suggestion.... Made a clean new clone 'Big Sur Test Drive' - booted fine on old OC and EFI.

Removed all Login items, set all apps not to start at login, checked updates on everything. Booted fine.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Hackindrom - clicked and updated OC via Hackindrom - took it to 0.9.6. It does NOT like this.

Now when I select the drive from the Boot menu, I get this very different looking version of the OC book picker - select the Test Drive and it hangs on this screen.

View attachment 574021

I have to manually shutdown from here.
Several comments:
  • When I suggested to "undo the Sonoma installation by cloning your original disk back onto this copy," I should have mentioned that the EFI partition should not be deleted or changed; but no worries...
  • Because you were able to update the EFI folder successfully just a few days ago, simply follow the same procedure again
    • We must start with OpenCore 0.6.6 or newer
    • Which version of OpenCore are you using with Big Sur?
      Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 3.07.16 PM.png
  • Also check BIOS -> Boot -> CFG_Lock to make sure it is Disabled

Hi -
Several comments:
  • When I suggested to "undo the Sonoma installation by cloning your original disk back onto this copy," I should have mentioned that the EFI partition should not be deleted or changed; but no worries...
  • Because you were able to update the EFI folder successfully just a few days ago, simply follow the same procedure again
    • We must start with OpenCore 0.6.6 or newer
    • Which version of OpenCore are you using with Big Sur?View attachment 574023
  • Also check BIOS -> Boot -> CFG_Lock to make sure it is Disabled
Hi - sorry I didnt realise you meant not to delete the EFI.

So as you say the FI updated fine but this time it has gone to 0.9.6. Looking at my current Big Sur it is running OC 0.6.2 currently.
When you say we need to start with 0.6.6. on newer, do I need to update my live system?
BIOS is F9i and CFG_Lock is Disabled

Back