Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

FCPX and Sonoma user here. Any point in me upgrading my Sapphire RX-580 to a Sapphire RX-6600 or a Vega 64?
I'm still using a RX 580 in several of my hacks with VG results. I've read that the sweet point in the 6000 series cards is a RX 6700 XT.

I've read that the sweet point in the 6000 series cards is a RX 6700 XT.
For hackintosh though, the Nooted Red kext would have to be used to make that card work.

For hackintosh though, the Nooted Red kext would have to be used to make that card work.
NootRX, it's a different kext, but the same developers behind it, Noot.

FWIW, I'm not gaming. I'm just trying to keep my powerful –but very quiet– Z390 OpenCore system (see build sig) going (and very quiet) for the foreseeable Intel future of MacOS and FCPX. Not sure if Metal 3 and so on will eventually make my system incompatible with FCPX. I would just buy a new MacPro if I could afford it, but I cannot.

How well is the 6700XT card from AMD working in macOS so far ?

2023-10-09_09-56-41.png

System information:
Monterey 13.4
OC: 0.9.2 installed with HackinDROM
i9-9900K
Designare z390
Vega 64
Power supply 750W
SMBIOS iMacPro1,1
Screen 1: 4K resolution
Screen 2: 2K resolution
I've got the exact same specs and everything is running fine (even premiere).
The only difference is that I am running Ventura 13.5.1 and that my screen 2 (2K resolution also) is on DP.
I had a few issues in Monterey but it was RAM related, I swapped them for 4 DDR4 Kingston 16Go and apart from a few hiccups, everything is running smoothly since then.

PS: What are the general feelings around SONOMA for the moment on this thread, I've been away since launch.

Back