Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi there!

I'm on Big Sur and am trying to update OpenCore from 0.8.3 to latest available using hackinDROM. I was on hackinDROM version 2.1.4 and updated to 2.1.8. When I update OC, I get the following:

What should I do from here? It looks scary haha.

One more question: So it looks like we can update to Sonoma (which is awesome). I'm on Big Sur and would like to do the update. I was reading your guide here, and if I understand correctly our Fenvi wifi modules will no longer work?. Just the wifi part, bluetooth still functions.

Interesting developments, I've been part of the journey with this setup since the early days and I remember there was a time when the onboard intel wifi card didn't work at all. Now it seems like it's common knowledge that it can be enabled and works? Wild stuff :D.
Hello @vidvi,

Those Load Early warnings are easy to fix. Just uncheck the LoadEarly column as shown below:
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 12.21.55 PM.png

Regarding Sonoma, yes Fenvi Bluetooth continues to work, but Fenvi Wi-Fi does not. Although OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) has a "fix" for Fenvi (Broadcom) Wi-Fi, it may be best to wait for a more elegant solution to appear. We can use Intel Wi-Fi in the meantime, but we lose nearly all macOS Continuity features.

Hello.
I have used this z390 bulid for many years now. I have been super happy. No troubles at all. It has worked so well, i havent needed to consult this thread for ages.
I am currently on 10.15.7, and I could have stayed with it. But now Native Instruments won't update properly if I don't upgrade to a newer OS.
Is there a guide for updating to Sonoma or other newer OS with Clover smoothly? Found one OpenCore guide, but I do not know if that would work with Clover.

All help is as always very much appreciated! :)
Personally, I would make the switch to OpenCore as well if you want to update. Me, still on Mojave and latest Clover but there is less and less support for this boot loader.

Great tips. _Thanks_ Will dig in later. Yes, other features are working with the FF800, connecting via 800, and the MB is the designare. Same results in ventura via FW card and adapters so not sure if clearing will help but will check it out.
Hi,

I'm chiming back in on this weird multiple issue problem issue I've been having (Post #38,138). To summarize: RME FF800 audio interface was working in Mojave and emitting pure noise in a new ventura test install on another SSD in my system. Other audio outs worked fine. This problem was solved updating Audio Hijack and re-installing the RME drivers.

The other lingering issue is my system is stuck on the gigabyte splash screen (or OC picker) if a usb device is plugged into my USB PCI card which is necessary because I had USB2 freeze/failure issues (a know problem with audio users, casey did a spoiler about this). This issue popped up seemingly randomly. Once I pull the hub out of the card booting chugs along normally. I've tried: updating OC and kexts, resetting CMOS, booting from various other EFIs, reloading bios profile, removing devices from the hub that plugged into the card, all to no avail. Workaround is unplugging my USB until them login prompt. I've never updated my BIOS (F9b). I thought that might be a good next step but I saw warnings about the current offerings on Gigabyte's site (F9 capsule and F9j) and can't find other versions (F9g sounds like a sweet spot). Are those versions still considered dubious? If so could someone share or point me to safe version later then F9b or tell me if updating is a waste of time? Any other tips to stop the freeze?

On a positive note OpenCore has been fantastic and my system, with its little quirks, is still shredding happily :headbang:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm chiming back in on this weird multiple issue problem issue I've been having (Post #38,138). To summarize: RME FF800 audio interface was working in Mojave and emitting pure noise in a new ventura test install on another SSD in my system. Other audio outs worked fine. This problem was solved updating Audio Hijack and re-installing the RME drivers.

The other lingering issue is my system is stuck on the gigabyte splash screen (or OC picker) if a usb device is plugged into my USB PCI card which is necessary because I had USB2 freeze/failure issues (a know problem with audio users, casey did a spoiler about this). This issue popped up seemingly randomly. Once I pull the hub out of the card booting chugs along normally. I've tried: updating OC and kexts, resetting CMOS, booting from various other EFIs, reloading bios profile, removing devices from the hub that plugged into the card, all to no avail. Workaround is unplugging my USB until them login prompt. I've never updated my BIOS (F9b). I thought that might be a good next step but I saw warnings about the current offerings on Gigabyte's site (F9 capsule and F9j) and can't find other versions (F9g sounds like a sweet spot). Are those versions still considered dubious? If so could someone share or point me to safe version later then F9b or tell me if updating is a waste of time? Any other tips to stop the freeze?

On a positive note OpenCore has been fantastic and my system, with its little quirks, is still shredding happily :headbang:

Thanks in advance.
F9i is on the first page in the quick guides but anyway: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.316533/page-2914#post-2222118

Wonderful. Thanks! Lets see if there's an improvement...
I remember you were one of the members having troubles with USB freezes and DAW use if I am correct? On my side, this build with Mojave and Clover is rock solid since 2020, go figure. Several USB stuff connected: HDD drives, Apple keyboard, Logitech wired mouse, Roland and Nektar keyboards… Was it because of numerous MIDI controllers?

I was following the USB mishaps closely before building the system and was relieved to being lucky not encountering this bug once it was completed!

I guess you had to update to Ventura to benefit from music software not compatible with Mojave?

BTW, I am using the latest modded F9i from Elias64fr.

Last edited:
I remember you were one of the members having troubles with USB freezes and DAW use if I am correct? On my side, this build with Mojave and Clover is rock solid since 2020, go figure. Several USB stuff connected: HDD drives, Apple keyboard, Logitech wired mouse, Roland and Nektar keyboards… Was it because of numerous MIDI controllers?

I was following the USB mishaps closely before building the system and was relieved to being lucky not encountering this bug once it was completed!

I guess you had to update to Ventura to benefit from music software not compatible with Mojave?

BTW, I am using the latest modded F9i from Elias64fr.
Hi, Yep. I had the dreaded USB freezes and am glad you didn't. All has been fine with the pci card (freezes are still there BTW after migrating to OC on internal ports and doing the port mapping procedure for good measure).

This new startup issue is slightly annoying and for some really weird reason dragging with kensington turbo mouse stopped working properly seemingly randomly. The right click would time out as if I lifted my finger off the button when it was still pressed (in both OSes). I switched to a regular mouse as a workaround.

I still use Mojave for audio (due to not wanting to upgrade my Waves plugins) and Ventura for visual work I. Eventually I'll ween myself off waves and ditch mojave. I have an M1 MBP and the hackintosh generally smokes it.

I updated to F9i and still the splash screen freeze. I might just live with unplugging my hub during boot up unless anyone has any better ideas.... ?

Hi, Yep. I had the dreaded USB freezes and am glad you didn't. All has been fine with the pci card (freezes are still there BTW after migrating to OC on internal ports and doing the port mapping procedure for good measure).

This new startup issue is slightly annoying and for some really weird reason dragging with kensington turbo mouse stopped working properly seemingly randomly. The right click would time out as if I lifted my finger off the button when it was still pressed (in both OSes). I switched to a regular mouse as a workaround.

I still use Mojave for audio (due to not wanting to upgrade my Waves plugins) and Ventura for visual work I. Eventually I'll ween myself off waves and ditch mojave. I have an M1 MBP and the hackintosh generally smokes it.

I updated to F9i and still the splash screen freeze. I might just live with unplugging my hub during boot up unless anyone has any better ideas.... ?
Did you tried another brand of USB hub? Myself, I have a generic cheap Amazon Basics.

Another cheap one USB-C on top of my Fractal case, mainly to read/write SD cards (EHX guitar looper).

Did you tried another brand of USB hub? Myself, I have a generic cheap Amazon Basics.

Another cheap one USB-C on top of my Fractal case, mainly to read/write SD cards (EHX guitar looper).
I tried another hub, same story. But thanks.

Hi there!

I'm on Big Sur and am trying to update OpenCore from 0.8.3 to latest available using hackinDROM. I was on hackinDROM version 2.1.4 and updated to 2.1.8. When I update OC, I get the following:

View attachment 572414

What should I do from here? It looks scary haha.

One more question: So it looks like we can update to Sonoma (which is awesome). I'm on Big Sur and would like to do the update. I was reading your guide here, and if I understand correctly our Fenvi wifi modules will no longer work?. Just the wifi part, bluetooth still functions.

Interesting developments, I've been part of the journey with this setup since the early days and I remember there was a time when the onboard intel wifi card didn't work at all. Now it seems like it's common knowledge that it can be enabled and works? Wild stuff :D.

I am on 0.8.3 as well and on Monterey 12.7
Unless, I'm mistaken, you should be able to update to oc 0.9.5 first & stay on Big Sur or go to Monterey
& also switch to Intel Wifi & keep it there for a few weeks as a stability test & then do a direct upgrade to Sonoma

Back