Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For Ventura we will first need to update OpenCore to 0.9.4 or newer (0.9.5 is the latest). HackinDROM app can do this (see post 38,181 above).

Then review this Sonoma upgrade guide (note the disappearance of support for Broadcom WiFi modules).
Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , that makes perfect sense. I went through the Sonoma guide and thought to upgrade into it later and run Ventura for sometime. After moving to OpenCore 0.9.4 -
  • are there any other things to take care of before I upgrade to Ventura? Asking because Catalina feels ancient (but was very stable for me) at this point ...
  • How can I download Ventura today?
  • Is it required to upgrade my BIOS? I'm currently on F9i. If so, should I do it before OpenCore upgrade?

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , that makes perfect sense. I went through the Sonoma guide and thought to upgrade into it later and run Ventura for sometime. After moving to OpenCore 0.9.4 -
  • are there any other things to take care of before I upgrade to Ventura? Asking because Catalina feels ancient (but was very stable for me) at this point ...
We should of course make a full bootable backup before upgrading. The most current guide for bootable backups is located here (STEP 11):

• How can I download Ventura today?
It will be necessary to use GibMacOS. Instructions for this can be found here (follow STEP-1 and STEP-2 and choose latest build of Ventura):

• Is it required to upgrade my BIOS? I'm currently on F9i. If so, should I do it before OpenCore upgrade?
Fortunately there's no need to upgrade BIOS. If you're on F9i, that is still the recommended version.

For Ventura we will first need to update OpenCore to 0.9.4 or newer (0.9.5 is the latest). HackinDROM app can do this (see post 38,181 above).

@CaseySJ , so what that really means is that I have to get manually upgraded to 0.9.2, because I'm only on 0.6.3, and not on 0.6.6; and then I can use the latest HackinDROM to move to the latest OC, is that the right assumption? Or otherwise can I use this guide and upgrade to the latest version from 0.6.3. directly from 0.6.3?

I noticed today that my video hardware acceleration has been inactivated at some point. Might be months ago, but I know it was working at some point :) Did a fresh install at some point and probably lost it then.

I have iGPU disabled, but I should still be able to have video acceleration enabled, no?

I've tried to search this thread for answers, but haven't found a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're running with iMac19,1 in SMBIOS. AFAIK you will need to have the iGPU on for that. I use iMacPro1,1 with no iGPU and have working acceleration and DRM.

@Ponkass
I am running a z390 + Amd Rx580 with iMac 19,1 in SMBIOS
If you take the DisplayPort out from the 580 & put that into the z390 DP in, then you can run a single usb-c/tb cable to your monitor & you will have iGPU & rx580 working correctly with full video hardware acceleration

The only downside to this approach is on reboot, you cannot see the bios post, which can be worked around by simply unplugging one end of the display port cable when you reboot for upgrades eg bios or opencore

I have used the above from Mojave -> Monterey & the advantage of this is, if your monitor has usb ports you can use them for other things like an ssd etc as it will be nicely hidden behind the monitor.

Hi there!

I'm on Big Sur and am trying to update OpenCore from 0.8.3 to latest available using hackinDROM. I was on hackinDROM version 2.1.4 and updated to 2.1.8. When I update OC, I get the following:

Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 10.31.06 AM.png

What should I do from here? It looks scary haha.

One more question: So it looks like we can update to Sonoma (which is awesome). I'm on Big Sur and would like to do the update. I was reading your guide here, and if I understand correctly our Fenvi wifi modules will no longer work?. Just the wifi part, bluetooth still functions.

Interesting developments, I've been part of the journey with this setup since the early days and I remember there was a time when the onboard intel wifi card didn't work at all. Now it seems like it's common knowledge that it can be enabled and works? Wild stuff :D.

Hello.
I have used this z390 bulid for many years now. I have been super happy. No troubles at all. It has worked so well, i havent needed to consult this thread for ages.
I am currently on 10.15.7, and I could have stayed with it. But now Native Instruments won't update properly if I don't upgrade to a newer OS.
Is there a guide for updating to Sonoma or other newer OS with Clover smoothly? Found one OpenCore guide, but I do not know if that would work with Clover.

All help is as always very much appreciated! :)

I noticed today that my video hardware acceleration has been inactivated at some point. Might be months ago, but I know it was working at some point :) Did a fresh install at some point and probably lost it then.

I have iGPU disabled, but I should still be able to have video acceleration enabled, no?

I've tried to search this thread for answers, but haven't found a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 572270
View attachment 572271
You need to enable your iGPU with this config.

re: iGPU - I recently found out that in order to activate metal 3 support on a headless UHD630 you need to add the key "enable-metal" with the value of 01000000 to the device properties of the igpu. When a fb with video output is selected, such as the 07009B3E then metal 3 is supported even without the "enable-metal=01".

Attachments

• metal3_igpu_uhd630.png
    metal3_igpu_uhd630.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 34
re: iGPU - I recently found out that in order to activate metal 3 support on a headless UHD630 you need to add the key "enable-metal" with the value of 01000000 to the device properties of the igpu. When a fb with video output is selected, such as the 07009B3E then metal 3 is supported even without the "enable-metal=01".
* Excluding Intel-based models using AMD Radeon Pro 500 series graphics.

Back