Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ I hope you're well.

I'm on 13.3.1 and have spotted this weird issue over the last few days. I'm using dual monitors, and for some reason, either when the Mac is asleep, or it turns off the displays to save energy (but isn't yet asleep), sometimes when I move the mouse/press a key on the keyboard, the monitors will beep (to indicate they are coming back online), but then they will show "NO SIGNAL". After this, when the monitors switch off, when I press a key/move the mouse, they don't beep and the screens never come back on. Only restarting the Mac will help.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix? Thanks!
Are your monitors actual computer monitors? Or are they smart TVs like an LG OLED HDTV?

Hi @CaseySJ I hope you're well.

I'm on 13.3.1 and have spotted this weird issue over the last few days. I'm using dual monitors, and for some reason, either when the Mac is asleep, or it turns off the displays to save energy (but isn't yet asleep), sometimes when I move the mouse/press a key on the keyboard, the monitors will beep (to indicate they are coming back online), but then they will show "NO SIGNAL". After this, when the monitors switch off, when I press a key/move the mouse, they don't beep and the screens never come back on. Only restarting the Mac will help.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix? Thanks!
I had this problem and solved it by stopping using the HDMI cable and switching to a DisplayPort, I believe it is due to the quality of my HDMI cable.

I had this problem and solved it by stopping using the HDMI cable and switching to a DisplayPort, I believe it is due to the quality of my HDMI cable.
Thanks but I’m already using DisplayPort. The same displayport cables that I’ve been using a while. Do you think it’s worth replacing the cables and seeing if the problem persists?

Download the manual for your motherboard and search for Thunderbolt. In the sample below, pin 1 is on the Botton left of the header.

Use #1,047 to find pin 1 of the 5 pin cable of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE or GC-TITAN RIDGE. Maybe use a continuity tester of a multimeter to find the ground (pin 5) of the 5 pin cable.

View attachment 572009
Thanks for the detail.
I've tried to use GC-ALPINE RIDGE with Z490 Aorus but breadboard jumper isn't working. I've found that the pin of motherboard header isn't fit breadboard pin, it's smaller and not tight enough. I decided to order a brand new GC-TITAN RIDGE for further experiment.
Regarding Studio Display, I've found this cable can be drive the display from Displayport -> Thunderbolt along with speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNX7MS6N/?tag=tonymacx86com-20. I also ordered one and waiting for shipment

Hi @CaseySJ , I was having issues with my power supply as such that my machine was just powering off randomly. After replacing the power supply, everything seems to get back to normal and I can live my PC for weeks again without turning off on Windows.

But unfortunately I’m unable to boot into my Catalina anymore. I can boot into OC, but can not go further. I’m getting the following error:

[EBI#LOG:EXITBS:START] 2023-09-20722:15:45 , see the screenshot. I did not do any changes, it just my old power supply was randomly turning my machine off. Is there anything I need to check? Could that be a BIOS settings got rolled back? What settings I should validate? Would really appreciate your help!

Full error can be seen here:

[EBI'LD:LFJ FIO: O, DIR: 1, P: <null string), DP: 1
[EBI'B:SBS1 SZ: 621112
[EB I#B:SHAJ 84253d6cfa9c774ed4bb68c5a8af003h3c82931
[EB I'WL:pWLFNV] Err (OxE) © GV wake-failure
[EBI'WL:DT] Err (OxE) @ WL:pHLFNV
[EB I#WL:DT] Ox3C OxAD 155 0x50
[EBI'FS :AGSUHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.O TEB I'FS:AGSWHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU. 1
[EBI'FS:AGSVH1 Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.2
[EB I'FS:AGSH] Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.3
[EBI'FS :AGSUHI Err (OxE) @ "AGU.4
[EB|'FS:AGSUHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.5
[EB I'FS :AGSVHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.6 [EB|'FS:AGSVHI Err(OxE) @ 'AGU.7
LEB|'FS:AGSVHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.8
TEB|'FS:AGSVHI Err (OxE) @ 'AGU.9
[EBI'LD:LKCJ BPDK -> (System \Library\Prel inkedKernel s\pre l inkedkernel .development)
[EBI'LD:OFS] Err(0xE) @ OPEN (System\ \Library\ \Prel inkedKerne ls\ \prel inkedkernel .development)
[EBI'LD:LKCJ BPDK, !R -> (System \Library \Prel inkedKerne ls\prel inkedkernel)
OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver .AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - Not Found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver .AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - Not Found
[EB I'LD :LKFS] 3 Ok(0)
[EB| LD:LKC] } Ok(0)
[EB|#FWFMJ OxFFDFFF7F
[EB I#FWFT] OxFD8FF576
(EB I#CS:OUT) 0x000003E7
[EBI'BST:FBS] {
[EBI'BST:FBSJ BA.ADSZ: 0
[EBI•BST:FBS] BA.KSDSZ: 0
[EBI'B:WFDW) Err (OxE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49
[EB|#LOG:DTJ 2023-09-20722:15:45
[EBI#LOG:EXITBS:START] 2023-09-20722:15:45

Attachments

• IMG_5928.jpeg
    IMG_5928.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
The GC-Alpine Ridge might not have enough voltage on the middle pin. Use a volt meter to find out or get 3.3V from elsewhere. See #1,047

The GC-Alpine Ridge might not enable PCIe tunnelling by default which you may want to support the USB features of the display (audio, camera, brightness controller, USB ports). For my Mac Pro 2008, I needed some code in EFI to enable USB functionality from cold boot. You might get functionality by warm booting to macOS from Windows.
I came through many experiments & now able able to understand your reply. I don't have much knowledge in electrical, do you have suggestion how to / which equipment can create a 3.3V supply for the card? I'm really appreciate it

Hi @CaseySJ , I was having issues with my power supply as such that my machine was just powering off randomly. After replacing the power supply, everything seems to get back to normal and I can live my PC for weeks again without turning off on Windows.

But unfortunately I’m unable to boot into my Catalina anymore. I can boot into OC, but can not go further. I’m getting the following error:

[EBI#LOG:EXITBS:START] 2023-09-20722:15:45 , see the screenshot. I did not do any changes, it just my old power supply was randomly turning my machine off. Is there anything I need to check? Could that be a BIOS settings got rolled back? What settings I should validate? Would really appreciate your help!

Full error can be seen here:

Please check if BIOS -> Boot -> CFG Lock is enabled. It needs to be disabled.

Back