Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
Dare we hope that Casey will do an instruction for dummies so that we can keep Wi-Fi and blue tooth for Sonoma on our Z390 Designare?
Unfortunately Broadcom Wi-Fi is no longer working in Sonoma because those drivers have been removed. We can use Intel Wi-Fi or try the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) method to bring back Broadcom drivers.

The OCLP procedure is cumbersome and no support for it is provided in this thread. You are welcome to try it, however.

Unfortunately Broadcom Wi-Fi is no longer working in Sonoma because those drivers have been removed. We can use Intel Wi-Fi or try the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) method to bring back Broadcom drivers.

The OCLP procedure is cumbersome and no support for it is provided in this thread. You are welcome to try it, however.
I would like to go the Intel Wi-Fi route if possible. Can the Fenvi provide BluTooth or is that a stupid question?

I would like to go the Intel Wi-Fi route if possible. Can the Fenvi provide BluTooth or is that a stupid question?
That's exactly what I'm doing on my Z390 Designare in macOS Sonoma:
  • On-board Intel module for Wi-Fi only
  • Fenvi FV-T919 for Bluetooth only

do you have recommendation of pin 1,3,5,7,9 position?
Download the manual for your motherboard and search for Thunderbolt. In the sample below, pin 1 is on the Botton left of the header.

Use #1,047 to find pin 1 of the 5 pin cable of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE or GC-TITAN RIDGE. Maybe use a continuity tester of a multimeter to find the ground (pin 5) of the 5 pin cable.

JTBT1.png

I enabled Intel WIFI and left Fenvi on for B/T. Updated to Sonoma no probs. WiFi and B/T work! The only thing that no longer works is using Continuity Camera/iPhone for Zoom camera. I don't understand...

Been running this system with a 9900k on Catalina 10.15.2 since late 2019 with essentially no issues - however, lately I've begun to run into some weird stuff in relation to USB.

For one, when I plug in an external hard drive, my logitech wireless usb mouse begins to "slow down" as if it's not getting enough power. And then even worse, some USB-related actions will cause all USB ports on the machine to immediately stop functioning until reboot. The two things that have caused this "power off" to occur were using an unpowered USB hub (things would work fine for 20 minutes and then without fail I would get the "power off"), and then most recently trying to update my Kemper amp via USB.

I am using this machine for music production and as a result I have nearly every usb port on the machine occupied, and I'm using the thunderbolt slot for my audio interface.

Not sure exactly what is happening here - a power draw issue? Any ideas? Thanks all.

I enabled Intel WIFI and left Fenvi on for B/T. Updated to Sonoma no probs. WiFi and B/T work! The only thing that no longer works is using Continuity Camera/iPhone for Zoom camera. I don't understand...
That's correct -- only Handoff and Continuity Clipboard are supported at this time with Intel Wi-Fi.

Been running this system with a 9900k on Catalina 10.15.2 since late 2019 with essentially no issues - however, lately I've begun to run into some weird stuff in relation to USB.

For one, when I plug in an external hard drive, my logitech wireless usb mouse begins to "slow down" as if it's not getting enough power. And then even worse, some USB-related actions will cause all USB ports on the machine to immediately stop functioning until reboot. The two things that have caused this "power off" to occur were using an unpowered USB hub (things would work fine for 20 minutes and then without fail I would get the "power off"), and then most recently trying to update my Kemper amp via USB.

I am using this machine for music production and as a result I have nearly every usb port on the machine occupied, and I'm using the thunderbolt slot for my audio interface.

Not sure exactly what is happening here - a power draw issue? Any ideas? Thanks all.
Hello @dlight,

This was quite an issue some time ago so we created this post:

Hello @dlight,

This was quite an issue some time ago so we created this post:
Amazing, thank you! Will try out the powered hub.

Last edited:
Back