Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi All,

I updated to OpenCore from Clover 6 months or so ago, and I added a Ventura startup disk to my solid Mojave system that I mainly use for audio production (OC on all OSes now). I have a couple issues I can't seem to get under control.

Issue 1: When I set up the system a few years ago, I was one of the few on this thread who had issues with USB freezes (system would be fine but USB stopped working). My solution was adding a USB card and since then no freezes with the ports on the card. However, after switching over to OC, now I have to unplug USB devices from the card or my computer freezes on the splash screen or on OC's startup disk select menu. My workaround is to keep just my USB keyboard plugged into HS09 (USB 2 port above the PS2 keyboard port), and plug the USB hub back into the card when verbose boot is happening. BTW, I did the port mapping procedure and still got USB drop out. So I'm stuck with the external card.

Issue 2: I'm getting pure digital noise (sounds like a frozen buffer) out of my RME Fireface 800n when playing audio in Ventura. No issues at all in Mojave. I've tried reinstalling and rolling back the RME driver. Using TB3 to TB2 and TB2 to FW adapters (as opposed to the FW card). Just pure noise.

Interestingly, a few months ago after the OC upgrade, my interface was working fine with Ventura (with both the adapter combo and FW card), and I didn't have the USB splash screen freeze. I didn't change anything and haven't touched the BIOS setup (except to make sure I was loading the right, known good, configuration after the issues started).

Other audio devices are working (DVI, USB, Build in MB).

I really have no clue what's going on and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I updated to open core from clover 6 months or so ago and added a ventura startup disk to my solid mojave system that I mainly use for audio production (OC on all OSes now). I have a couple issues I can't seem to get under control.

Issue 1: When I set up the system a few years ago I was one of the few on this thread who had issues with USB freezes (system would be fine but USB stopped working). My solution was adding a USB card and since then no freezes with the ports on the card. However, after switching over to OC, now I have to unplug USB devices from the card or my computer freezes on the splash screen or on OC's startup disk select menu. My workaround is to keep just my USB keyboard plugged into hs09 (usb 2 port above the ps2keyboard port) and plug the usb hub back into the card when verbose boot is happening. BTW, I did the port mapping procedure and still got USB drop out so stuck with the external card.

Issue 2: I'm getting pure digital noise (sounds like a frozen buffer) out of my RME Fireface 800n when playing audio in Ventura. No issues at all in Mojave. I've tried reinstalling and rolling back the RME driver. Using tb3 to tb2 abd tb2 to FW adapters (as opposed to the FW card). Just pure noise.

Interestingly, a few months ago after the OC upgrade, my interface was working fine with ventura (with both the adapter combo and FW card) and I didn't have the USB splash screen freeze. I didn't change anything and haven't touched the bios setup (except to make sure I was loading the right, known good, configuration after the issues started).

Other audio devices are working (DVI, USB, Build in MB).

I really have no clue what's going on and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Super weird. The USB issues should not be happening at all. Please try using the HackinDROM app and build a new EFI based on your system definitions on a test USB stick, then right-click update it to OpenCore 0.9.5 (the HackinDROM app will wringly display the updated version as v0.9.6, but never mind this. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hackindrom-app-for-opencore-efi-creation-and-update.312176/

I have a few questions about the DAW situation:
1. Your build is on the Z390 Designare and not a Z390 variant?
2. Are you connecting the RME Fireface via Firewire 800 or Firewire 400?

Re: the RME Fireface 800, I'm wondering if there's a "hardware security" issue arising from your Thunderbolt adapters, and it's only half-working. Can you open the RME control panel in Ventura and adjust settings like the sample rate, filters, or input types via the software interface?
There's a section in this build guide regarding "clearing" Thunderbolt cables and adapters that I think you should follow because it applies to adapters, etc. downstream of the Thunderbolt card.

Poke around here-ish:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/#Thunderbolt

Last edited:
Super weird. The USB issues should not be happening at all. Please try using the HackinDROM app and build a new EFI based on your system definitions on a test USB stick, then right-click update it to OpenCore 0.9.5 (the HackinDROM app will wringly display the updated version as v0.9.6, but never mind this. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hackindrom-app-for-opencore-efi-creation-and-update.312176/

I have a few questions about the DAW situation:
1. Your build is on the Z390 Designare and not a Z390 variant?
2. Are you connecting the RME Fireface via Firewire 800 or Firewire 400?

Re: the RME Fireface 800, I'm wondering if there's a "hardware security" issue arising from your Thunderbolt adapters, and it's only half-working. Can you open the RME control panel in Ventura and adjust settings like the sample rate, filters, or input types via the software interface?
There's a section in this build guide regarding "clearing" Thunderbolt cables and adapters that I think you should follow because it applies to adapters, etc. downstream of the Thunderbolt card.

Poke around here-ish:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/#Thunderbolt

Great tips. _Thanks_ Will dig in later. Yes, other features are working with the FF800, connecting via 800, and the MB is the designare. Same results in ventura via FW card and adapters so not sure if clearing will help but will check it out.

hello everyone, I've successfully setup this tb card (buyer said it was in some dell/AIO computer, titan ridge isn't available anymore in my area).
1695389346595.png

1695389371992.jpeg

It doesn't have tbt header cable to connect to my motherboard. it has 1 DP-in and connected to amd gpu. The problem is when it's connecting to Studio display, the maximum res it can get is 4k & no sound / camera. This looks like tb is not working at all because it was able to connect with Studio Display even before setting SSDT.
1695389410383.png

Do you have any suggestion to debug further? My specs 13500 + MSI B660M A wifi, running Sonoma 23A5337a
Thanks all

hello everyone, I've successfully setup this tb card (buyer said it was in some dell/AIO computer, titan ridge isn't available anymore in my area).

It doesn't have tbt header cable to connect to my motherboard. it has 1 DP-in and connected to amd gpu. The problem is when it's connecting to Studio display, the maximum res it can get is 4k & no sound / camera.
To get true 5K we actually need two DP-Ins.

This looks like tb is not working at all because it was able to connect with Studio Display even before setting SSDT.
To check if your Thunderbolt card is enabled, please run IORegistryExplorer (can be downloaded from here) and post the IOReg file by selecting File -> Save As...

On GC-Titan Ridge we need to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header in order to activate the card. Not sure if a similar procedure is needed for your particular card, but let's start with IORegistryExplorer.

To get true 5K we actually need two DP-Ins.

To check if your Thunderbolt card is enabled, please run IORegistryExplorer (can be downloaded from here) and post the IOReg file by selecting File -> Save As...

On GC-Titan Ridge we need to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical J1 header in order to activate the card. Not sure if a similar procedure is needed for your particular card, but let's start with IORegistryExplorer.
I see the point now, it requires 2 DP-in while this card only have 1 input.
IORegistryExplorer does show Thunderbolt connected. I tried connect to a real mac (m1 pro) and it said thunerbolt connected under Thunderbot section of real one. Too bad it isn't enough for the display.
1695398042620.png

------
I do have another stock GC-Alpine Ridge card but it doesn't come with tb header cable and thus not about to connect to motherboard.
Is there any way to by pass 1 DP-in limit or some how get Alpine card work with without cable? I notice when I plug GC-Alpine Ridge into motherboard, it still above to output 4k 60hz with no firmware/ssdt added

I see the point now, it requires 2 DP-in while this card only have 1 input.
IORegistryExplorer does show Thunderbolt connected. I tried connect to a real mac (m1 pro) and it said thunerbolt connected under Thunderbot section of real one. Too bad it isn't enough for the display.
You can try getting 5K to the Apple Studio Display by using SwitchResX to create a custom timing with a reduced refresh rate of 47Hz (CVT-RB2) or 46Hz (CVT-RB) to get the pixel clock below 720MHz. For 10bpc, the pixel clock needs to be below 576MHz (38Hz). I believe the LG UltraFine 5K can do 5K39 with a single DisplayPort cable.

You can try getting 5K to the Apple Studio Display by using SwitchResX to create a custom timing with a reduced refresh rate of 47Hz (CVT-RB2) or 46Hz (CVT-RB) to get the pixel clock below 720MHz. For 10bpc, the pixel clock needs to be below 576MHz (38Hz). I believe the LG UltraFine 5K can do 5K39 with a single DisplayPort cable.
That's unfortunately. I think it will never get it fully work without Thunderbolt header cable. My mainboard is MSI B660M, and it has 16-pin connector instead 5 pin as Gigabyte.

Back