Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI for Z390 Designare **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Also available from HackinDROM App

** NOTE **
Mojave and Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.
I couldn't find a more recent fresh install for the Designare z390, so went with this one, which after a long battle ended up being installed on my fresh ssd!

I managed to get it to boot, but notice some random freezes and sometimes freeze at boot. I also noticed the fans on my Radeon Saphire stop spinning after getting to the user login screen.
My monitor still works though. Is it something I should be wary of and how can I fix it?

Also, I use a Fractal R6, should I be using the SSDT files in the first post too?

My plan is to use this fresh install and then update OC to the latest version (0.9.5 ?). However, using the EFI found here and OpenCore Config 2.69.1 or 2.70.0 give error when trying to compile. Is there an EFI for the latest OC and the designare z390?

My plan is to use this fresh install and then update OC to the latest version (0.9.5 ?). However, using the EFI found here and OpenCore Config 2.69.1 or 2.70.0 give error when trying to compile. Is there an EFI for the latest OC and the designare z390?
What do you mean by "give error when trying to compile"?

Do you mean that OCValidator reports one or more errors? If so, please post a screenshot of those errors.

Thanks @CaseySJ

I meant when I tried to save the config.plist file. I figured out what the error were. I think OpenCore Configurator checks online for error, but does so against the latest version of OpenCore.
I realised this a little while ago, and managed to boot just now with the OC 0.9.2 you shared here.
Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 19.30.55.png

I'm now trying to figure out why the intel WiFi stopped working EFI you shared.

It seems I can now run Monterey, so I might try and do a fresh install of Monterey and use the OC 0.9.2 file you shared, to skip the Big Sur -> Monterey update. I don't want to go to Ventura yet because of not being sure all my apps are compatible.

Edit:
What scares me a bit are the random freezes I'm now having, at random times.

Couldn't figure out why the WiFi and Bluetooth still weren't working, so plunged and updated to Monterey. Update worked perfect, but still no WiFi and Bluetooth.

It's been probably 12h I'm at it, might try a bit more and then sleep on it. Have yet to eat....

Last edited:
@ndrik,

The EFI folder from this thread does not enable Intel WiFi or Intel Bluetooth by default. We have to make some changes. Have you already made those changes?

Greetings!!
My 'Hack has been amazing... easily the finest and most dependable workstation ever.

Is there any possibility the USB mapping was changed by installing 13.5.2 update?

While importing my camera into Lightroom, I discovered a corrupted image. I've never encountered such a thing - until now.

I'm pretty concerned... anyone else see any issues?

Maybe it's just me and a crappy cable?
OR
Will the USB gods continue corrupting pictures?
busted_image-8842.jpg

(The picture is heavily cropped to show the 'special-ness' of the unexpected)

Greetings!!
My 'Hack has been amazing... easily the finest and most dependable workstation ever.

Is there any possibility the USB mapping was changed by installing 13.5.2 update?

While importing my camera into Lightroom, I discovered a corrupted image. I've never encountered such a thing - until now.

I'm pretty concerned... anyone else see any issues?

Maybe it's just me and a crappy cable?
OR
Will the USB gods continue corrupting pictures?
(The picture is heavily cropped to show the 'special-ness' of the unexpected)
Some questions:
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed within the camera itself?
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed in Windows (if you have Windows)?
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed in macOS using a different app (not Lightroom)?

Not really.
While importing my camera into Lightroom, I discovered a corrupted image.
Is this one and only one corrupted image? If so, it just looks like what it says: A corrupted image.
A random bit flip. Which could come from a failing media, or just from a cosmic ray hitting a NAND cell in the wrong way.

@ndrik,

The EFI folder from this thread does not enable Intel WiFi or Intel Bluetooth by default. We have to make some changes. Have you already made those changes?
I managed to get it working by using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2250255

But I installed the 2.2 drivers. I have not managed to get bluetooth working yet though.
I've focused on backuping my corrupt drive after having managed to rebuild its b-tree.

Some questions:
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed within the camera itself?
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed in Windows (if you have Windows)?
  • Do these photos look normal when viewed in macOS using a different app (not Lightroom)?
Thanks for replying Casey!!

• 1) The image on the Camera's card was good & not corrupted, leaving just this single imported image (1 of hundreds).
  • 2) Don't have Windows, however, on Adobe's Creative Cloud nothing has jumped out at me.
  • 3) macOS makes life easier in so many ways such as natively supporting DNG. Finder is very handy when browsing large collections. Nothing again jumps out.

Since then,
I've run several tests since via focus stacks (involving ~4,000 total images stitched together in software) via tethered camera on USB. Stacks are notoriously sensitive, and I didn't note anything unexpected.

CCC (with validation on) is running again to see if it hits an invalid checksum...

I'm really puzzled...

Not really.

Is this one and only one corrupted image? If so, it just looks like what it says: A corrupted image.
A random bit flip. Which could come from a failing media, or just from a cosmic ray hitting a NAND cell in the wrong way.

All very good points! Yes, it's just one image. I really appreciate your feedback, and it dialed down the anxiety!!

Likely corrupted on the wire... maybe the filesystem however that seems unlikely.

Just a personal perspective - it's frightening to have corruption. I've snapped >150,000 images with just this camera since 2017, and I've only had this one.

Back