Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ et al - after over three years of happily enjoying my build and doing a few in-place updates, I figured it was time to do a fresh install for Ventura. I used the AMD version of your EFI from this post:

I then made the adjustments as suggested in that post, and I'm happy to report that all went well and according to plan...but I now have an odd problem in the post-installation phase.

Successfully using Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup, also utilizing the eficlone.sh script as I did on the old install as well. But in trying to test that backup, I am only ever able to boot from the UEFI on the bootable backup drive...the backup of the actual system drive is nowhere to be found in the OC boot picker.

I've tried a few different USB ports, two different drives, and a couple different cables to no avail. I have also refreshed all the BIOS settings starting from optimized defaults and rebuilt the settings as specified in post #1 to get around any chance of BIOS rot. Curious if there is a new wrinkle preventing this drive from being seen by OpenCore boot loader? The odd thing is that the EFI I'd just booted from does show in the list.

Thoughts? SN-removed EFI zip attached.

Attachments

• TinkerTenor OC092-z390DESIGNARE-AMD.zip
    49.9 MB · Views: 17
Hi @CaseySJ et al - after over three years of happily enjoying my build and doing a few in-place updates, I figured it was time to do a fresh install for Ventura. I used the AMD version of your EFI from this post:

I then made the adjustments as suggested in that post, and I'm happy to report that all went well and according to plan...but I now have an odd problem in the post-installation phase.

Successfully using Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup, also utilizing the eficlone.sh script as I did on the old install as well. But in trying to test that backup, I am only ever able to boot from the UEFI on the bootable backup drive...the backup of the actual system drive is nowhere to be found in the OC boot picker.

I've tried a few different USB ports, two different drives, and a couple different cables to no avail. I have also refreshed all the BIOS settings starting from optimized defaults and rebuilt the settings as specified in post #1 to get around any chance of BIOS rot. Curious if there is a new wrinkle preventing this drive from being seen by OpenCore boot loader? The odd thing is that the EFI I'd just booted from does show in the list.

Thoughts? SN-removed EFI zip attached.
Did you use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant feature in CCC?

Attachments

• Use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant feature.png
    Use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant feature.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 41
Did you use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant feature in CCC?
I did not! I somehow missed that part. Thanks - it works as intended for me now. If only all our issues were this easily sorted.

Appreciate your help. :)

I did not! I somehow missed that part. Thanks - it works as intended for me now. If only all our issues were this easily sorted.

Appreciate your help. :)
The latest instructions for Carbon Copy Cloner are provided in the spoiler located here:

Just to spread the Good Word, since mid-Catalina, macOS installs have relied on the APFS features of a Container volume, firm-links and hash-trees, to keep Apple files secure and separate from user files.

The APFS container allows multiple volumes to share a partition and its free space. One volume belongs to Apple and is called the SSV. It's contents cannot be changed outside of Apple's signed installer, and its integrity is confirmed by hash trees over all of its files. If the hashes don't add up, it won't run.

Another volume is the "Data" volume, which is user-writable and holds all user files.

Firm-links blend these volumes' contents into a single namespace that looks like one mount-point.

(There are a couple of other support volumes.)

By default CCC only copies the Data (user) volume. CCC's own version of rsync does the copying and it can detect I/O errors, skip files and note them in the transaction log.

The Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant (CCC's name for this keeps changing) involves running an Apple-supplied (signed) APFS Replication Utility to copy everything in the system container. This is not CCC code, CCC just invokes it. The necessity of wiping the Destination is part of Apple's integrity mechanisms.

Because of the hash-trees, any I/O error compromises the integrity of the entire copy, so the replicator just gives up if an error is detected. So, if the replication gets underway then falls, that's a sign of drive hard errors and you should review your HW.

This failure mode is also true of macOS installers.

Computing all those hashes over the SSV is I/O intensive and takes time, which is part of the reason for obsolescence of Macs.

Status report: So with all the latest kexts Sonoma beta is working with Intel WiFi and Bluetooth same as on Monterey and Ventura versions.

I have been using alcid=40 on Monterey but it doesn't work on Sonoma (using AppleALC 1.8.5) anymore. Any ideas? Ids 11 and 16 work normally.

Status report: So with all the latest kexts Sonoma beta is working with intel wifi and bluetooth same as on Monterey and Ventura versions.

I have been using alcid=40 on Monterey but it doesn't work on Sonoma (using AppleALC 1.8.5) anymore. Any ideas? Ids 11 and 16 work normally.
Hi F10,

Which version of OpenCore?

The latest AppleALC kext Release version is 1.8.4. I'm using "alcid=11 unfairgva=4 -v" in my boot args. I updated OpenCore 09 to 094 via HackinDROM 2.1.8, even though it shows OpenCore 094 as OpenCore 095.

Attachments

• Versions.png
    Versions.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 30
  • kext versions.png
    kext versions.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 23
  • boot-arg.png
    boot-arg.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 27
I totally forgot it was a custom AppleALC.kext from Casey back in January..only this custom one worked with layout id 40 - he did write in May when someone else asked that it had been integrated to the regular release, but obviously that did not happen for some reason - anyway no big deal, I'm back on the classic layout ids..works!

OpenCore 0.9.5 and AppleALC 1.8.5 are available directly from dortania's "builds" page.

Because the sluggishness is becoming painful on my machine, I will embark on doing a clean install.
I'll take this opportunity to also upgrade my SSD drive to something with more storage and better (2TB or more). I currently have a Samsung Evo 970 500Gb.

From reading the thread here, it seems that the following are good contenders for a boot drive:
- Samsung 990 Pro
- Samsung 980 (seen this might have issues?)
- WD Black SN850XWD Black SN850X

Did I miss other options and are there any of the 3 here to be avoided?

Back