Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you mean I need to completely reformat the USB stick(1) before installing the EFI & macOS installer, or the destination disk(2), where you install macOS to?

When booting from the USB drive with the macOS installer, I never reach the macOS screen where you can install or format the destination disk, it crashes long before that.
Completely reformat the destination disk using the Disk Utility on the USB MacOS installer. You may need to delete the APFS volume, (i.e., https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253087282?answerId=255790563022#255790563022) and reformat the destination SSD. No shortcuts.

Do you mean I need to completely reformat the USB stick(1) before installing the EFI & macOS installer, or the destination disk(2), where you install macOS to?

When booting from the USB drive with the macOS installer, I never reach the macOS screen where you can install or format the destination disk, it crashes long before that.
When you format the USB disc or your NVMe look your partition shemes. (GUID its correct, maybe you have MBR.)

@CaseySJ

I've seen many people discuss in this thread that the Z390 Designare Capsule BIOS cannot be Downgraded. In Fact It Can Be Reverted. I wanted to share a short Guide that I posted on another site awhile back to show you how.
I hope this helps some people out, but please be careful by following it closely! Of course other motherboards can be downgraded in this fashion with the tool I've included (and specific versions of it), but I am not going to talk about this here.

This guide is for those who have updated their Gigabyte Z390 Designare to a later BIOS with a capsule and want to Revert to an earlier BIOS but can’t.

<It’s possible to downgrade using Intel Flash Programming Tool.> :)

For Z390 Designare you will need the Intel FPT_v12.0.x.zip That I Will Include Below.

Inside each archive are UEFI, DOS, Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions, you can use the same commands for each version. I will provide you with 2 different methods to revert the bios back to a previous one. Myself, I have only done the first method.

WARNING: Unlike Qflash, FPT will not check if you are flashing the correct BIOS to a matching motherboard so you can brick your motherboard if you cross-flash the wrong BIOS! Make Sure to Flash the Correct Compatible Bios!

2ND WARNING: Your motherboard has an Intel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter(s), you can overwrite (erase) its MAC address(es) with FPT causing it to no longer function! Although the MAC address(es) may be recoverable,
(I will not discuss how here), it is a big hassle that you will want to avoid. You will know if you have erased them if they display 888888888788 as the MAC address.

(Yep, Oh $hlT!)
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

DISCLAIMER: There is always a risk when flashing the firmware of any motherboard. You must decide if you think the risk is worth it - if you don’t know how to recover your motherboard from a bad flash then I don’t recommend that you attempt a BIOS downgrade. I am not responsible for any problems that arise from your actions. While I have performed Successful Downgrades on my Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboards, I cannot 100% guarantee that you will not run into problems. Please read the Entire guide before you even attempt a downgrade.

BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE YOUR BIOS, YOU SHOULD WRITE DOWN THE MAC ADDRESSES OF ANY INTEL GIGABIT ETHERNET ADAPTERS IN YOUR SYSTEM.

You can find your Intel MAC address(es) several different ways.

I. Boot into the BIOS and look under System Info –> LAN MAC Address (ALSO): System Info –> LAN2 MAC Address

II. In Windows open a command prompt (cmd) and type “ipconfig /all” then look for “Ethernet adapter Ethernet” then “Physical Address”, you will need to copy and save the MAC address(es) somewhere just in case you ever need.

III. If your adapters are currently plugged into a network, Control Panel –> Network and Sharing Center –> Change Adapter Settings –> double-click on ‘Ethernet’, then click ‘Details’ and look for ‘Physical Address’.

BIOS Downgrade Method 1: Using 64-bit FPT from a command prompt in Windows

Download FPT_v12.0.x.zip and create a folder on C Drive called FPT. Copy the contents of the WIN64 folder from the zip archive into the new FPT folder on C Drive.

Open an elevated command prompt (as administrator) and navigate to the FPT folder

Make a backup of your current BIOS chip using the command;

fptw64 -d bios.bin

You should see “FPT Operation Successful”.

To check your motherboards Intel ethernet adapters and at the same time backup the MAC address(es) type the following commands;

fptw64 -gbe -d gbe.bin

You should receive the following message;

8KB of 8KB - 100 percent complete.
FPT Operation Successful.

NOTE: If you open gbe.bin in a hex editor, (Such as WinHex), you can find your MAC address(es).

Copy the BIOS file you want to flash into your FPT folder.

Use the following commands to flash the entire EEPROM (all BIOS regions are overwritten i.e. Descriptor, GbE, ME and BIOS);

fptw64 -SAVEMAC -f .bin (example: fptw64 -SAVEMAC -f Z390DESI.f9i)

The command -SAVEMAC will retain your Intel MAC address(es) so don’t leave it out!

The Following Command Will Not Save Your MAC ADDRESS;

fptw64 -f .bin < SO DON’T BE A DUM DUM AND DO THIS!!!

Once the flash operation says it has completed successfully type the following command to IMMEDIATLEY reboot and load the BIOS you just flashed;

fptw64 -greset

Note: that your PC will restart instantly without any warning as though you have pressed the reset button.

Go into BIOS and check the BIOS version under System Info, it should be the BIOS You Just Flashed.

BIOS Downgrade Method 2: Using the DOS version of FPT from a FAT32 formatted bootable USB stick. (Although this method should work just fine, I Have Not Personally Tested).

Download Rufus and use it to create a DOS bootable USB stick with FreeDOS or MSDOS.

Download the FPT tool and copy the file FPT.exe from the DOS folder in the zip archive onto the USB stick and also copy the BIOS you want to downgrade to.

Boot into FreeDOS or MSDOS (CSM will need to be enabled in your BIOS)

Make a backup of your current BIOS chip using the command;

fpt -d bios.bin

You should see “FPT Operation Successful.”

To check your motherboards Intel ethernet adapters and at the same time backup the MAC address(es) type the following commands;

fpt -gbe -d gbe.bin

You should receive the following message;

8KB of 8KB - 100 percent complete.
FPT Operation Successful.

NOTE: If you open gbe.bin in a hex editor (Such as WinHex) you can find your MAC address(es).

Again, make sure the BIOS file you want to flash is in your FPT folder.

Use the following commands to flash the entire EEPROM (all BIOS regions are overwritten i.e. Descriptor, GbE, ME, BIOS) ;

fpt -SAVEMAC -f .bin (example: fpt -SAVEMAC -f Z390DESI.f9i)

Again, -SAVEMAC will retain your Intel MAC address(es) so don’t leave it out!

Once the flash operation says it has completed successfully type the following command to IMMEDIATLEY reboot and load the BIOS you just flashed;

fpt -greset

Note: Your PC will restart instantly without any warning as though you have pressed the reset button.

Go into BIOS and check the BIOS version under System Info, it should have reverted to the BIOS you just flashed.

Attachments

• FPT_v12.0.x.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm unable to use USB-C to USB-C due to the clarett requiring an adapter from TB-1 (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...of-Thunderbolt-do-the-Clarett-Interfaces-Use-).

So I ended up using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ26QIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 which has been working on my Hackintosh for the last few years.

A question on the ports outside of the adapter, I should be seeing XHC3 - SSP1 / SSP2 in hackintool regardless of whether I connect anything or not right? I'm assuming I also should not be seeing the XHC3 errors when booting up?

I can certainly try some other devices with USB-C to USB-C, but if I can't see the ports then I'm probably in trouble regardless. Would that be safe to assume?
I have the Clarette 8PreX Thunderbolt and the same adapter as you running fine on my designare Z390. Running Ventura 13.5 / OC 0.9.4.
Your adapter setup should work just fine.

Last edited:
I've started doing just that, clean EFI and fresh macOS install. With several USB thumb drives. And SATA SSD. Try as I might, the MacOS installer(I tried Monterey and Catalina) always crashes at some point complaining about read-only stuff or wrong paths/problems with FindMyMac etc.

Is BT/WIFI mandatory for an install? I don't have this in my Z390 setup.

BT/WIFI is not mandatory for an installation. An Ethernet connection/internet connection is not required as long as you have the bootable USB with a full installer.

I had problems lately, knowing that my EFI was good. Something happened to my BIOS. I read somewhere that a BIOS can degrade after a certain (random) period.

So I re-flashed the BIOS with the same version it was running on, using Q-FLASH. I would only do this as a last resort because flashing a BIOS still can be tricky, but if you've tried everything this can be an option for solving random problems.

BT/WIFI is not mandatory for an installation. An Ethernet connection/internet connection is not required as long as you have the bootable USB with a full installer.

I had problems lately, knowing that my EFI was good. Something happened to my BIOS. I read somewhere that a BIOS can degrade after a certain (random) period.

So I re-flashed the BIOS with the same version it was running on, using Q-FLASH. I would only do this as a last resort because flashing a BIOS still can be tricky, but if you've tried everything this can be an option for solving random problems.
I reflashed F9i, with a different copy. To no avail.

I reflashed F9i, with a different copy. To no avail.
If your BIOS is set up properly on your Z390? Do you have any other drives attached besides the USB OS installer (which should also have a valid OpenCore EFI with a valid sytem definition) and the destination SSD that is not partitioned to serve additional purposes? No Windows SSD's attached? No stray NVMe drives attached?

If your BIOS is set up properly on your Z390? Do you have any other drives attached besides the USB OS installer (which should also have a valid OpenCore EFI with a valid sytem definition) and the destination SSD that is not partitioned to serve additional purposes? No Windows SSD's attached? No stray NVMe drives attached?
Not 100% sure about all the BIOS settings. I asked for detailed examples of the right settings for F9i/Monterey, I may have missed a crucial setting. But I realize that it is a lot of boring work to make all these screenshots or copying all the settings in a document, and nobody has done this yet. The BIOS settings on this thread are older/not complete.

There's just the USB thumb drive with the OC EFI and the MacOS installer and 1 empty SSD. I will reformat the SSD once more just to make sure it is virgin territory for the installer.

I was thinking it may be a hardware problem, but Win10(when connected) boots quickly and works fine...

Not 100% sure about all the BIOS settings. I asked for detailed examples of the right settings for F9i/Monterey, I may have missed a crucial setting. But I realize that it is a lot of boring work to make all these screenshots or copying all the settings in a document, and nobody has done this yet. The BIOS settings on this thread are older/not complete.

There's just the USB thumb drive with the OC EFI and the MacOS installer and 1 empty SSD. I will reformat the SSD once more just to make sure it is virgin territory for the installer.

I was thinking it may be a hardware problem, but Win10(when connected) boots quickly and works fine...

Yes, that reminds me of trying to get help with my Z370 to move up to OpenCore 070 and Ventura, but being ignored. I hear you. I'm not finding BIOS setup images at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-1873593 either.

Feel free to use mine:
Notes: I am not using the iGPU because I'm using a MP7,1 setup. The EFI is loading from P0 Samsung SSD (MacOS) which I setup after I installed the OS.

Attachments

• Begin here.jpg
    Begin here.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Crucial setting 1.jpg
    Crucial setting 1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Crucial setting 2.jpg
    Crucial setting 2.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 40
  • More memory.jpg
    More memory.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Power option.jpg
    Power option.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Thunderbolt.jpg
    Thunderbolt.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 46
  • BIOS fiddling prevention.jpg
    BIOS fiddling prevention.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
@jiffyslot: thanks for your BIOS screenshots. Unfortunately these settings do not make a difference. The MacOS Monterey installer starts and crashes quickly.(I get stuck at a black screen)

Back